Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Remote Steering

Started by skylark, April 11, 2007, 02:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylark

Here is my low tech / no tech remote steering position under the dodger:

Note the companionway seat.  Just pull the tan rope back and forth to steer.  It has enough friction to stay where you leave it.

I don't have motor controls led up here, I have to jump in an emergency.  But usually motoring is pretty slow and "situations" are predictable. 

I do have an idea on how to extend the throttle and shifter up front, but have not tried it yet.  The throttle control is that piece of pvc pipe sticking up just above the transom.  It is an extension of the outboard tiller throttle. 

I'm not sure its worth it to extend the controls up to the companionway seat, I would rather control the boat from the tiller in any questionable situation.  But I like to experiment, so someday I will fit a flex hose on the pvc and use an additional piece of pvc to extend the throttle control.  I will probably find a big piece of hose that fits inside the pvc and through bolt it to the pvc at a couple of places.

I still need to extend the shifter by bolting a piece of aluminum conduit with the end flattened to the shifter of the outboard.  That is a bigger priority because right now I have to get down and grab the shifter which is way down there.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

maxiSwede

Wonderful!  simple, yet genious. Isn´t it amazing how difficult it is at times, to find those KISS solutions.

grog to you..  ;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

AdriftAtSea

Sometimes, the simplest things work better than the complicated ones.  Been looking at Letcher's book on self-steering.  I think I'm going to try and make my own windvane. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

What plans are you going to use? I'm planning one from Belcher's book. I have spare ply so it'll be a test model. Really interested in seeing how it works. Tehani is SO easy to steer that it should work fine.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

CharlieJ-

I'm not familiar with Belcher's book.  Is it a trim tab design you're making? 

The design I'm going to be playing with is a horizontal dual-axis vane that does not use a pendulum or trimtab of any sort.  I'm trying to avoid having to have a servo pendulum or trimtab rudder due to the design of the outboard rudder the Telstar, which is a kick up design. Being a kick up design makes designing trim tab for it rather more complicated, so I'd like to avoid that if I can.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

CharlieJ

nothing in the water. Just a horizontal vane with control lines to the tiller. It'll mount on a post on the stern and nothing will be in the water. I'll get you the full title to the book later today- can't get to it right this minute.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Thanks charlie... I'd be interested in seeing that.  Why re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

CharlieJ

The book is titled "Wind Vane Self Steering", subtitled "How to plan and make your own" , by Bill Belcher.

It was published by Imternational Marine.

I'm gonna try his OGT Mk 2 setup.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera