Superior Inflatable Dinghy Patching

Started by tafelice, April 13, 2007, 06:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tafelice

I had an inflatable dinghy (PVC) on this last outing and I had problems with leaks and with the repair holding up.  Against all advice from well wishers and store clerks I ditched the repair kit glue and went to the plumbing section of the hardware store and bought a small can of PVC pipe glue.  I liked the Blue one (called Wet-R-Shine, I think) because 1) if there is any moisture present it will still work and 2) it's strong and medium strength (high strength may be too agressive on the PVC ie melting).  This stuff is soooo superior to that kit poop because it sets up so fast, practically stops a leak without a patch, and is super strong and is relatively inexpensive.  With the weak kit glue you had to deflate, repair and couln't inflate for a day.  I couldn't wait, I needed my dinghy every day.  With the plumbers pipe glue I just took a little pressure off but with most of the air in there it presented a nice flat surface for pressing the patch on good.  I think I could have gone right on but I gave it what time I could, an hour or two and then I inflated and used it.  I have no idea if this stuff would work on Hypalon but it sure worked well on PVC.  Every leak I repaired with this stuff worked the first time and hasn't deteriorated with time.

AdriftAtSea

Sometimes the stuff in the marine stores really is garbage. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

I patched my Hypalon dinghy in 1982 using 3M 5200 as an adhesive- that patch is still in place and holding air today ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

tafelice

Yes, that was the next step if my plumber's glue didn't work.  They should just build these boats out of 5200 :)

Fortis

I just used the plumbers PVC to reapir a Bombard dinghy. Astoundingly enough, PVC glue is what the Bombard repair centre uses when they do in-house repairs (which it turns out would have actually been cheaper in this instance then doing it myself (darn!!!!))

The slightly worrying difference between the PVC they use and the stuff I used was that they use a TWO PART PVC that sets despite the absence of air....which is kind of relevant in the case of inflatable boats.

I used the recommended primer with mine, and I think that is part of the reason that it seems to be working (the primer outgasses something that encourages the plumber's glue to set)...But I am still a little doubtfull about just how firm a fix it is. Time will tell.

The contact adhesive that comes with kits is utter poop from any perspective (and will void Bombard's materials warranty, they say)

Alex.

P.S Wish I had taken photos of the repair. It was a bit complex and involved laproscopic surgery of a dinghy. I'm rather proud.

Fortis

Well...that's that then.

Just had the boat out for a test run and the patch failed. The PVC of plumber's glue just did not cope at all.
I did everything right in both preperation and application. Left it even longer then reccommended to cure before full pressure inflation, right temps, right humidity and everything....And the patch (which was admittedly quite large and an inner-and-outer type) just failed in the flexing of the deflated boat being transported around.
Worked fine the first time it was inflated.

Boat was then deflated and trasported to the water.

It was re-inflated and the patch started lifting away  right there. Gradually air began to escape.

While we only lost a little air in nearly two hours of puttering around...it is still not by any means ideal.

The boat is now going to go to the bombard repair facility and they will hopefully have more luck with it.

I believe that the ideal glue would be the two-part PVC that binds and hardens in the abscence of air, and seems to contain an etching medium as well.

I will have to see if I can buy a half litre tub of it and a big sheet of fabric to cut future patches from.

But in the short term AVOID THE PLUMBER'S GLUE!!!!!!!!!

Alex.

AdriftAtSea

Alex-

Umm.. Maybe because the fabric beneath the hypalon isn't PVC-based...and the glue has nothing to adhere properly to... I say you use 5200 and just be done with it. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Fortis

If I was away from home I just would!

But the price to have it fixed "professionally" is not extreme (actually less then I have so far spent on screwing around with it), and it comes with a few marked advantages....
they will sell me a tin of the propriatary glue they use under the counter, same with some of the Bombard genuine fabric.
this alone seems pretty worthwhile. And two, they agreed that I can come in and watch as they work on it and see if and where I went wrong.

So I figure that is a pretty good deal.

And then I will know the secret...and then, THEN I shall conquer the Universe itself!!!!!!!!!!

Or something.

Alex.

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: Fortis on May 15, 2007, 07:30:28 AM
If I was away from home I just would!

But the price to have it fixed "professionally" is not extreme (actually less then I have so far spent on screwing around with it), and it comes with a few marked advantages....
they will sell me a tin of the propriatary glue they use under the counter, same with some of the Bombard genuine fabric.
this alone seems pretty worthwhile. And two, they agreed that I can come in and watch as they work on it and see if and where I went wrong.

So I figure that is a pretty good deal.

And then I will know the secret...and then, THEN I shall conquer the Universe itself!!!!!!!!!!

Or something.

Alex.

If that is the case, have them patch it for you... and I'm voting for the "Or something." as I plan on ruling the universe, so that job is already spoken for... ;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran