News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Pixie Dust

Started by Pixie Dust, August 25, 2006, 09:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pixie Dust

I met the buyer of the house Wed.  Guess what she does for a living??  Travels the state speaking to Marina's teaching them how to be Clean Marina's.  She is with the Clean Marina Federal program!  We hit it off immediately.  She is a single lady about my age moving here from Pensacola.  I really liked her and it helped me tremendously with all the wild emotions I was feeling about turning my home of 19 yrs over to someone.   It is like finding a good home for a pet, or your loved boat.  You want it to go to be cared for and loved.  I feel so much better now.   :D.   I needed that.   Let's hope it all goes through now.  Looks like I am going to be homeless around the first of October.   :o  WOW!  A little scary, but exciting. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Captain Smollett

Hey Connie, that's pretty cool.  That sounds like a karma moment!  Be sure to tell her about SailFar - she might like the attitude around here (and it never hurts for this crowd to know someone who knows marinas!  ;D ).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Connie-

You're not going to be "homeless".  It is just that what form your home takes is going to be changing drastically. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Pixie Dust

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on August 25, 2006, 10:57:35 AM
Connie-

You're not going to be "homeless".  It is just that what form your home takes is going to be changing drastically. 
At least I will not have to mow the grass and trim the shrubs, not to mention, a much smaller humble abode to clean. :)   Bummer that she has backed out.  I was really excited about her owning my home.  God has his plan for it all and it may not be exactly my timing, but it will work out like it should..... I just wish he would listen to me.  He must be a man.  :D :D ;D  (just teasin guys)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

You'll probably be pleasantly surprised when you see what happens next. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Pixie Dust

OK- Was not sure if I should post here or "Where have you been"  I have really been out of touch for the last few weeks.   Lots going on in the world of Pixie Dust.  Her Capt... (moi) has been traveling a lot with work, but (drum roll)  I have a contract on my house, deadline for backing out and getting refund on deposit has passed, inspection is complete, appraisal completed and couple have been approved.  It is looking good.  Closing is scheduled for 12-29.  I am excited, but overwhelmed.  On top of work travel, I now have to squeeze in packing up a home I have lived in for 19 yrs.   :o  I have a lot of stuff.   :)

Here is a list of what all has been done recently to Pixie Dust.  This is why I have not had much internet time. When on, I am searching for good deals.  :) I am almost to the end of the TO DO list.  YE Ha!
I pulled my girl out of the water and I had an awesome assistant come and help me to do major work on her bottom and do some big projects that were over my head.  Thank you Capn K!!!!  Our Capn does good work and I can give him high recommendations!!
Old thru hulls removed and replaced with Bronze.  Installed  3   (1 lg 2 sm.)  Greased with Marine Grease thanks to input from Sailfar.
Cutless Bearing replaced - what a bear!!
Prop pulled, cleaned  (Pixie looked like she was wearing an nice piece of jewelry when this was done)
Shaft checked for alignment ok
Phlange repaired where stern tube comes out of the hull- HUGE JOB!  I had major water coming in around this.  One of 2 bolts had rusted out, the other was loose and a lot of the caulking was gone.  Thank goodness I did not head across the Gulf with this situation.  It could have been an ugly outcome.  Kurt glassed in part of the trough so a long bolt could replace the rusted out one.  All nicely done and recaulked.  Pixie has not had a drop of water enter and the bilge has not kicked on even once in a month.   ;D ;D ;D
Water pockets between helm and glass  aka Blisters sortof, opened, drained, dried
     Epoxy placed, sanded, glassed  Another huge job and big Karmas to Capn K!!!!
2 coats petit Trinidad red needed 1 gal 1 qt
Air vent replaced in hull for waste holding tank
Turning block mounted on cabin
Cleat mounted on Mast
Buffed and waxed hull
Cove and boot stripe repainted with Burgundy
Repacked stuffing box
   Boat is dry as a bone!!! WOOWOOOO
Covers replaced for cockpit drains 
Replaced Life Lines with Coated 3/16" cable from W FL Wire and Rope
Caulked holes under galley cabinet and starboard lazarette in hopes of stopping      water in those areas when heeling.   Dry bilge should help and pump lower       bilge should resolve this problem. Too be determined????
13 gaL Waste holding tank installed Replaced old 6 gal aluminum box  built for tank to fit in, allows for step and protection
All new hoses installed, new hose clamps from head to discharge and tank.
New bilge discharge hose installed  12' for 1500 Rule Bilge pump
1500 Rule Bilge Pump Installed lower in bottom of bilge
Ran new electrical wiring to everything bilge related
Batteries 2 Golf Cart purchased and placed in built box in Port Lazarette.   They will be the house batteries.   They did not fit where the batteries used to be, so new wiring had to be done.       
Extra Anchor roller installed.  35# Claw and 22# Delta now on bow.   Small Bruce will be stern anchor and I have a 13# US anchor (danforth style)
Dinghy Purchased 9-06  Mercury 8'9" hypalon  Busters Marine
Outboard Purchase Tohatsu 3.5 HP  4 stroke   I have had so much fun breaking it in and getting outboard experience.  I am already an expert rower.   :D  The outboard has been fun.
MP3 Player purchased  Getting all my CDs downloaded
Toshiba Laptop purchased  getting it set up
Teak oil on inside wood
Hatchboards and table cleaned and stain applied.

She is almost ready to take me to fun places.   I have really missed reading the updated entries on the site.   I hope everyone is well!!!
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Zen

Hey Connie, Good to hear from ya luv.

Glad you got things coimng together with the home front & PD.
Sweet!

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

AdriftAtSea

You certainly have good reasons to be MIA for a while.  :D  Congrats... and it sounds like the work on PD is coming along nicely.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

CharlieJ

Connie- sounds like you've been way busy. Glad we at least had a chance to phone while you were running;)

I do wish I hadn't seen this on your list

"Replaced Life Lines with Coated 3/16" cable from W FL Wire and Rope "

Coated cable is highly unencouraged on offshore boats and the racoing assns won't allow coated life lines- they have to be bare. Not a problem for a few years I'm sure, but do keep a close eye on them. Corrosion can start under the coating, right where it comes out to the end fittings, or in ANY small cuts or nicks. Just watch them.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Charlie-

Good point... covered stainless cable tends to suffer from crevice corrosion far faster than plain stainless cable does.  It also will leave ugly rust stains once that starts to happen.  Generally, as a rule, lifelines aren't to be trusted anyways. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Fortis

We went over to Spectra for our lifelines. much softer landing if it comes to it, just as strong as stainless cable of the same diameter....And if you ever need to haul someone back on board and cannot let go of them to go forwards and loosen the pelican hooks, or get them  back on deck by going over or between the lifelines, then you can just cut them with your personal knife right where you need to.

But 99% of the time it is because they are more comfy to live with.

Alex.

Pixie Dust

COOL NEWS!!  House closed successfully on Wed.   I went straight to Orlando and spoke with my boss.  I gave a 1 month notice... Last day of work will be Jan 27th.  I will be working and provisioning PD in the interim.  The first good weather window after Jan 27th,  I am heading South!!!!   6 months to 1 yr of me and Pixie.  How cool is this?????!!!
I am headed out on the water in a few to spend New Years with friends on their boats.   I hope to find some time to do some catching up on this fun website.  I miss being in the loop on what is going on in the Sailfar world. 
Have a wonderful New Year's everyone!!!!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D       I am one happy, excited girl.   :D ;D :-* :-*
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

BobW

Congratulations on the house, the job, and especially your plans to go cruising! 

I'm new around here, but have enjoyed perusing your posts.

Congratulations again, and good luck to you!
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

Zen

wahooo ! Finally!

Great way to start off a new year Connie. Congrats

More Grog for eveyone... Connie's treat !  ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Captain Smollett

Way to GO, Connie.  Get on out there, Girl, be safe and have fun.

Grog to you.  Keep in touch when you can.

:) :) :) :) :) :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

Congrats !!  Glad the house deal closed OK.  Looks like Jan 28th is  'the 1st day in the rest of your life'... new life that is....ENJOY !!!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Cocoa Moe

:)Where are you now? 8) I'm in Key West if your coming this way look me up  8)  COCOAMOES (at) aol. com  8) 305-295-6368   

Edit: to protect email from spambots

CapnK

Just got word that Pixie Dust has left the dock...

Bon Voyage!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

Yay!  Go Connie... Go Pixie Dust... :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Pixie Dust

Ahoy everyone!!!   I am currently in Cortez, Florida, anchored off Desoto Point  I left Panama City on Tues 3-6, did an offshore run to Port St. Joe, anchored behind the Cape for the night, then ran the ICW to Appalachicola.  I wanted to sail a little to see how the weight was distributed and then motor a little to see how she was running prior to starting across the Gulf.  Tues was an awesome day of sailing.  Sweet beam reach all the way up the beach, making 5-5.7 knts.  I was loving it!!!  Wed was a little stressful since I had the water coming into the trough from aroud the  top of the rudder post.  I pulled everything out of the lazarette.... OMG how did I get all this stuff in there?  LOL  Crawled back and determined I do not have a stuffing box or packing.  Several calls back and forth to a mechanic buddy in PC, determined it to be caused by a heavy boat and hydrostatic pressure.   Nice to know I was not going to sink.  :)) It would stop coming in once water level stabilized.   I just would hand pump the manual bilge every hour just to make sure all was ok and the bilge pump was not having to work too hard.  It also only comes in while running the engine.  I have a good bit of ground tackle on board since I will be gone during hurricane season and I am not willing to part with that.  I was extra loaded with fuel since I was making the crossing and my tank is so small.  All is good!  I am sure it will get lighter as I go.
Jenny and I left Appalachicola at 6:50 am on Thurs morning in tandem with another boat called Naked Lady.  They are a couple from Panama City too.  We arrived safe and sound Friday night at 6:50 PM.
The crossing was wonderful.  We unfortunately had to motor the whole way because winds were only 1-3 knots.   During the night they picked up to about 7-9 and I was able to sail for about 1 hr, then again on Friday morning for about an hour, rest of time was listening to the iron genny.   Porpoises entertained every few hours which is always a thrill.  We also had a large sea turtle surface by the boat.  Sunrises and sunsets have been wonderful.  Thursday night I was the lucky girl to be on watch for the moonrise and what a fabulous site to see.  The stars were incredible over the Gulf.   I had so much adreniline flowing from the excitement of the trip, that I felt almost giddy and did not even feel like I needed to sleep.  :)  Coast Guard circled us in a helicopter at one point on Friday afternoon.  I think my mom may have had something to do with that.  ( just kidding) 
Tampa Bay channel was deserted coming in.  No traffic at all which is unusual since it is a major shipping channel.  Several freighters and a cruise ship were anchored off the channel, but not moving.  Lucky for us!!!  You all know how I love to eat.... I made a loaf of yeast bread in the pressure cooker and it turned out great, even browned on top!!!!   I made it on the crossing, then while it was cooling, I cooked a pot roast with all the fixings.  I assure you, Jenny and I pigged out.  I will not go hungry on this boat.  LOL
Some small engine issues, nothing major.  Parts are ordered.  I also fixed the depth sounder that went out while underway.  I am becoming a bit of a trouble shooter and repair girl.  :) I have a good bit of ground tackle on board since I will be gone during hurricane season and I am not willing to part with that.  I was extra loaded with fuel since I was making the crossing and my tank is so small.  All is good!  I am sure it will get lighter as I go.
The couple we traveled with know folks here in Cortez and they had dinner waiting for us at the Seafood Shack Marina when we arrived.  They live on their boats.  They also fed us Cracked Conch!!  How cool is that.  I am not even in the  Bahamas and I have already had a meal of cracked conch.  Gotta love that.
Jenny headed back to Tallahassee on Sun morning.  I am sure gonna miss my buddy.  :)  I really appreciate her crowding onto this little boat with me to help out with the crossing.   We had a great time!  Girls Rock as my niece says.  I actually sent a bunch of clothes and some items home with her that  I have already realized I can do without.  I hope my storage unit can hold some more stuff. 
I sailed on Tampa Bay today!!  A blast.  Gorgeous day for sailing.  Rocking along when I realize I am being hailed on the radio.  One of the folks who cooked for us was participating in a race (actually he calls it sailing with others)  He had spotted me on the water and he was currently in last place...probably the reason he calls it sailing with others.  LOL. I fell in beside of him.  He has a 30' Pacific Seacraft.  We sort of had our own fun little race going on.  I snapped some picts of his boat under sail with all his crew waving.  I then tacked and headed javascript:replaceText(' ;)', document.postmodify.message);
Winkback to sail up Manatee River to an anchorage while I was still in the lead.  LOL  What are the odds of running into someone you know on Tampa Bay!!!!!   :D
So many areas to explore here. I plan on taking the dinghy in tomorrow to explore the Fort area.  I also plan on sailing under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and probably heading up to Vinoy Basin in St. Petersburg for a night or two.  I will be hanging out here through next weekend so I can get my boat parts and make the little repairs.  I will then head to Venice Florida. 
So far the weather has been great and sounds like it is going to continue for a few days.  I am having a great time!!  Even with the initial stresses of working some kinks out, the trip has been funfabulous.
Get your little boats ready guys and join me!!!  It  is fun out here on the water.  ;) ;D 8)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2