Deck Hardware; Cleats, chocks, rollers, etc.

Started by Captain Smollett, May 10, 2007, 08:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on March 07, 2008, 04:12:02 PM
Tim-

Those look just like the 10" cleats I put on my boat last year. :)  I'd back the chocks with both if you can, since there'll be a lot of load on the chocks when anchored out.
They will be the stern chocks, but hey what the heck I've got the ply  ;)

My plan for anchoring is create a bridle/snubber off of both cleats, which will be located near each edge as on Faith

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

Tim,

QuoteI am going to use the SS 1/8 " strap between holes, with the epoxy covered ply in between approx. 4x6".

That sounds like a good plan.  The strap is good if you have it laying around, but good sized fender washers are probably enough if you are also using the epoxy coated ply.....

Which ever you use, I would do the same thing aft... never know when you are going to;  Tow a chute... Have to be pulled out from behind... Tow a helpless stinkpot to safety...  ;D .... have to weather a storm tied to a dock... you just never know.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Tim- that's how I did Tehani's bow cleats- a strap across and all four holes through the strap. Actually TWO straps- one forward and one on the after end of the cleats

A small strap across the legs on the after cleats would be a good idea also
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

THe good Captain Ebb has returned my Cowl to me after he concluded to he was going another direction.

I always liked the cowl vent, and never experienced taking significant water below through it.... I removed it since I was heading out for an extended cruise and expected to see big seas... which we did.

I am no longer fearful of having the 3" hole in the bow, with a scoup.... The bow rarely crashes into the waves, and the receptacle can be plugged with a standard 3" PVC pluming cap.

When it was mounted before, I had it on the Stbd side and used it to pass the chain down into the locker. It was really nice being able to pass links even when they were laid up on each other.

SO.... what say the peanut gallery? Should I replace the 1.5" capped chain scuttle and just place this back in same location? Should I leave the cap, and place the cowl on the port side?

What say the gallery?

BTW, if you look at post #48 in this thread you can just see Commander Pete's cowl which is just like mine.

Here is a picture, kinda tough to see... I will look for a better one.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

I have that cowl setup for my chain on my Potter and have sailed on the SF Bay, Monterey Bay, San Jauns, Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound with no problem with water getting in.

That said, on the Ariel I  have a chain hawes pipe and a solar vent.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward