News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Sewing Projects

Started by BobW, June 13, 2007, 11:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobW

Karen sews but, other than replacing a button or two, I never have.  But we ordered a foredeck jib-bag kit and a sheet bag kit from Sailrite.  We figure we'll test our skills with the sheet bag before taking on the jib-bag.  When we figure out the sheet bag, I'll order another one.

Everyone says these kits are complete, with great instructions so we are hopefully optimistic we can put them together. 

Anyone have any words of wisdom for us?

Bob
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

skylark

I knew nothing about sewing but started out making stuff sacks for clothes and gear out of nylon cloth for ultralight backpacking.  After a few of those I went on to make a hammock and backpack.  My wife showed me some basics, that was very helpful. 

Really the most important thing is to know how to thread the sewing machine properly, and unjam it when the thread gets knotted up inside. After that, you need to know the right way to make a seam, a hem, and to fasten a stitch at the end.

I thought it was very fun to sew camping gear and then use it.  Start out simple with dollar bin cloth (Mart of Wal is a good source).  You will probably throw away your first attempts but it won't be long before you make something usable. 

I have to accept the fact that my seams are not as pretty as professional seams, but they have held together and they are functional.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Captain Smollett

Sewing machines are great - I stink at hand stitching.

I have found the Awl for All to be a handy tool for reasonably heavy duty "hand" stitching.  We used to use these to make various things for our climbing, such as crampon straps.

In any case, like any other type of hand-craft, having the proper tools is important.

Good luck with your projects.  If it goes well, I'll know who to call to have that dodger made.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

BobW

Thanks for the encouraging words.

We'll see how things turn out.

As for knowing who to call to have that dodger made - call Laura!  ;D
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

CharlieJ

;D Good luck getting HER to sew anything. She made all our cushions on both boats AND the bimini's on both boats and is planning the sail cover and a couple of awnings, but she HATES TO SEW!!!! She's really good at it, but hates it.

She was offered a full blown canvas business, with the customer list and equipment- just take it over, owner going cruising - she said "no thanks"
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

rtbates

Quote from: BobW on June 13, 2007, 11:54:56 PM
Karen sews but, other than replacing a button or two, I never have.  But we ordered a foredeck jib-bag kit and a sheet bag kit from Sailrite.  We figure we'll test our skills with the sheet bag before taking on the jib-bag.  When we figure out the sheet bag, I'll order another one.

Everyone says these kits are complete, with great instructions so we are hopefully optimistic we can put them together. 

Anyone have any words of wisdom for us?

We've done a few of their kits and they are complete. Just read and follow the directions and you'll be fine. One word of caution concerns the machine you're planning to use. IF it's a regular sewing machine be careful you don't kill it sewing through thick material or multi layers. We killed an old machine years ago before we got the Sailrite, Which will sew through just about anything that you can get under the foot. Speaking of feet, a walking foot makes canvas and other thick material sewing much easier.

Bob
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx