Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Anchor locker, rode and tackle stowage

Started by s/v Faith, December 28, 2005, 11:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Anchor locker.

Like so many boats, my anchor locker is currently just the void that was left over forward of the V-berth.  My current  rode 300' of 1/2" 3 strand and 50' of chain, just lies there in the bottom.

I also carry 200' of 5/8" storm rode in the bottom of my cockpit locker, and my 25# CQR is sitting on top of it.... There is no way I can get to this anchor/rode without 30 minutes notice.

There is also a 'ready' stern anchor, a smallish Danforth that sits in the Lazy-rat, atop s couple yards of chain and 75' of rode.  This is my 'lunch hook' and 'parking brake'.  I have deployed this anchor in seconds when things were not as I wished then might have been. ;)

So, here is what I am thinking.

I want to put the CQR on a roller on the bow where it belongs.... (ok, collective DUH!)

But then I want to divide the anchor locker.  Frank has yet to post it here, but he has a shelf in his locker (this is your cue Frank, please share) 

I was thinking I might divide the locker with a vertical bulkhead, so there would be a port and starboard locker, the port locker will hold the 'storm rode' and be segregated from the working rode.   The port locker will also have a shelf about 2/3 of the way to the bottom. This would free up the bottom third of this space for storage space (like in Frank's locker).

I am thinking I can gain strength in the bow, and pick up storage at the same time.....

What are you doing?  How much rode do you carry?  Where do you store it?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

captedteach

The divided locker is a good idea - Depending on a few things It may or may not add any significant strength.  Biggest being how strong is the bulkhead forward of the V - if its just tabbed inplace then you wont gain much - if it is pretty solid then it will add a good bit.  HOWEVER  this could be considered a crumple zone (again depending on the design) and a vertical divider could actually be a mistake.   If you were in an accident (why were you thinking about extra strength anyway) the compression strength of that dividor is probably greater than the shear strength of the factory bulk head  SOOooo an impact that would just flood a water tight area might now flood the boat.   IF you divided the locker side to side instead of fore and aft then you may gain some strength in a side impact which would be better than on the nose  as that is less likely to be damaged in an impact anyway due to shape and amount of glass (this area is usually twice as thick on hand laid boats - on choppergun boats it can be thinner - OUCH)

As far as what I do - I keep all the anchors in the lazerette. I take the rode forward and as I glide into where I'm gonna anchor I pitch the anchor over the side. I can pay out the rode from the tiller for scope. The boat sets the anchor and spins me around - pitch out the stern anchor to keep it pointed at the beach and from swingin into the clueless powerboaters and its time for a brew ha ha  - Oh Yeah my boat does not have an Anchor locker
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

Amorous

I agree with captedteach regarding the "crumple zone".  Installing a solid bulkhead fore and aft to add strength is probably a bad idea.  It would create a "hard spot" on the stem and the interior bulkhead.  This is the reason that some bulkheads are tabbed in and some are mounted more substantially.  The way I've dealt with it is with a collapsible triangular frame fit with a cargo net which sits on teak strips bonded to the hull and interior bulkhead about 3/4 of the way down in the locker.  This leaves one anchor rode sitting up and room for the other below it.  I have one of those oblong deck fittings and can actually run both rodes out of it without tangling them.

CapnK

Craig - I know you don't want to do it, but... ;)

Take out that Monel water tank, divide that area into 2, and run 2 parallel 3-4" diameter PVC tubes down into each area from a chainpipe cover on deck. Drop your rodes down through them. It'd keep the chain weight lower, a bit farther aft, and keep 'em separate. But...

Since you aren't going to do that :D - look at Aussie Geoffs chain locker, and note how the floor of it was built up a bit, and drains through 2 limber holes above the waterline at the bow. I like that idea, but you would need to make sure that the locker area was well sealed off from the cabin. Pounding into some seas would force water into those holes, but I guess they could be sealed/plugged somehow when under way. Maybe with scupper flappers, or something similar.

Food for thought... :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

I redid my locker...put a shelf higher for rode/chain .It drains forward with a hole over board .The hole is approx 24in above waterline with one of those lil hole cap/covers over it facing aft.This freed up a LOT of room under the shelf for extra gear-storm sails etc. Pic in gallery
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Jack Tar

I have one spare rode in a five gallon pickle bucket. Easy to stow. Easy to move it all to the bow or sturn.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

starcrest

I am not going to anchor in water any deeper than I care to pull rope or chain in.the holdin ground in kee hee lagoon was pure mud...good holding but what a mess on deck.had to splash the anchor several times to get the mud off ...and ya better hurry 'cuz meanwhile yuzza' driftin leewud inta hoozyamacallitz boat.sorry folks as much as I despize the nooo yawk accent evry nowaden it cumzout.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Frank

The pic IS posted in 'gallery'...may be on 2nd page. There is a pic of one devided vertically too... as you imagine it ..somewhere on the triton site....good idea !!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

THank you Frank,

Here is Frank's locker;

Your work inspired me to start thinking about how I was going to better use this area.

Kurt,

I did think about that.... but the tank works, and was replaced in 1984 (like yesterday in my boats life) with a new monel tank that I use...... there is no taste to the water.

I think I can get much of the weight down low, and keep the tankage that is already there.  I do like your idea of moving it midships, but I need weight fwd as 'Faith' tends to be down by the stern with just a couple people in the cockpit.  I did not figure out till I started racing just how significant the difference is, but she is as much as 1/4 to 1/2 knot slower when the stern is low.

captedteach,

The Pearson Ariel does not have 'crumple zones'.  Back in 1964 when she was laid up, they just piled on fiberglass, apparently in hopes that whatever I manage to hit will crumple.....  ;D  Hope that continue's to work out for me.  :P

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

starcrest

I plan accordingly.rite now I am locked into the inter coastal waterway where it is seldom more than 30 feet deep. therefore at the present time I have about 15 feet of chain on about 5o feet of line with a 13 pound hi tensile danforth.for the minimal icw motoring I am limmited to thats all I need.In no way shape or form do I care to be hauling in 35 billion feet of chain rope or what have you ,ever.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Pixie Dust

Need some advice from you guys on bow pulpits.   I am trying to post a couple of picts of what I have on the boat.  Having some difficulty, so not sure they are going to print. If not, I will put them in the gallery.  I figured out today how to do that.

Anyway-  I currently have 1 bow roller on my bow pulpit... it was designed into the pulpit.   I carry a 17# Bruce on it.  I have a 35# claw that I want to mount off the pulpit as well.   Can I purchase and mount one to the teak pulpit, possibly with a board underneath as a backing plate?  Will that work or do I need to do something different.  I really need to have both anchors off the bow for convenince.  Help me out guys.

Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

CapnK

Connie -

With 2 anchors, you'll probably need to offset them both on rollers to the side, so they'll live together comfortably up on the bowsprit there. You could hang one upon the pulpit, but I think it'd be easier/more secure if they were both on the 'sprit.

Would it be possible to move the one roller you already have, so that it is offset more?

Also, though it looks like 2 rodes would fit down your chainpipe, I think that leading them both there would be asking for a snarl. You'd probably want to install a second chainpipe. I've some pictures of how I did that, if you are interested. It's easy, takes an afternoon of not much actual work to do it.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Hey Capn- hate to be picky with the boss ;), but that ain't a "hawse pipe", it's a "deck" or "chain" pipe.

Hawse pipe is the hole that an anchor rode passes through going over the side AFTER leaving the bits, windlass or cleat.

Deck or chain pipe leads through the deck into the anchor rode stowage.

Otherwise, great advice ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

I sit corrected. ;D

Will edit the post... you are right, sir. Ya old salt... ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pixie Dust

I want to be able to switch out the chain/rode onto the anchor of choice with the shackle and only have 1 in the anchor locker.  The roller currently on is built into the bow sprit, so it cannot be changed.   If I bolt on another stainless channel with roller on the end, should I use a backing plate?  I will have to extend it out so the flukes do not get hung on each other.
OK   Here are the picts so you can see what I have.

Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Lars

Hey ..I remember Pixie Dust when you pulled into Snug Harbour Boatyard.. You we're looking for a recomendation regarding the quality of the work. I couldn't give you one because they we're my friends. I hope they didn't mess things up too bad.  ...Anyway..  I don't think you've got enough platform to hang 2 claw type anchors.. if you can make the 35lb work with the roller you have  why not use the little 17lb as a stern hook??? and perhaps mount a larger danforth on hooks on the bow rail

CapnK

Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pixie Dust

Hi Lars!  I remember speaking to a gentleman... I think you told me they do a good job except do not let them do engine work.  :)   Was that you??  I was pleased, except they were supposed to change out my cutless bearing.  They put her back in the water and did not tell me they could not figure it out until the day I went to pick her up.   :(
I am actually keeping my boat in PC now, in Watsons Bayou at the long dock across from the Mercury Testing Facility.   She is pretty content with her new home. 
Are you still at Snug Harbor?  If so, stop by and say Hello!
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Lars

Yeah that was me...I didn't know i was still in my gentleman phase back then. Sounds like you did ok at the boatyard.. I've had to go into dry dock while i'm taking care of my elderly parents. Boat is on a flatbed trailer here in their driveway about halfway to atlanta.  I've got some friends over there at watsons. I hear there will be some demolition in the next few weeks

Pixie Dust

There has already been a lot of demolition in that area.  Unbelievable.   Condos are going to take over the waterfront I am afraid.   Boatyards are becoming few and far between.

Lars, at least your boat is where you can see her.  :)  Hope all goes well with the other.....
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2