News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Snagged a Crab Pot

Started by mjalfonsi, September 13, 2007, 11:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjalfonsi

The Admiral and I were sailing down the shipping channel of Winyah Bay, when she called out "Crab Pot". Before I could veer, we saw the float go under, but not come up. The boat suddenly slowed like the water was molasseses and the current had more effect than the wind. We motored back to our slip (so motor and rudder were not fouled). We have a Hunter 23 with a winged keel and I suspect the line has gotten wrapped around the keel.

Short of imitating Lloyd Bridges, does anyone have an idea of how to get it off? We were thinking of some type of keel hauling rig, but we're open to suggestions.

Thanks
Martin J Alfonsi
23' Hunter
mja@egallo.com
Eat, Sleep, Sail, Work, Repeat

CharlieJ

the answer for me would be- DIVE- DIVE- DIVE :D

Mask, snorkel and a sharp knife works really well for things like that - I alweays have mine aboard.l
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Unfortunately, diving is the only way to really do it without risking damage to the keel.  If you rig anything to cut the line that goes under the boat, there's no guarantee that you won't damage the keel itself trying to use it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

rtbates

Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

Fortis

Yeah, don't just cut the rope and sink the trap. It would be polite to tie off the pot with a line form your boat so you can winch it up. Then cut off the tangle.
The pot should have a number tag on it that will allow you to get in touch with the owner. tell him the pot is waiting for him at the marina he will be glad to not lose the $50 odd.

Of course, a little healthy larceny is a good thing, so do not waste any crabs that might be in there!

Alex.

mjalfonsi

Problem solved.

I basically 'wimped' out and hauled the boat out onto it's trailer. NO crab pot. We think it may have worked loose due to the combination of current and tide cycles.

There is a 4+ foot 'gator that hangs around the marina so the Admiral wouldn't let me dive.  After the poor guy lost his arm last week,  I suddenly agreed with her.

Thanks everyone for the advice and words of encouragement.
Martin J Alfonsi
23' Hunter
mja@egallo.com

Lynx

Quote from: mjalfonsi on September 20, 2007, 08:50:25 AM
There is a 4+ foot 'gator that hangs around the marina so the Admiral wouldn't let me dive.  After the poor guy lost his arm last week,  I suddenly agreed with her.

Blue Water Marina in Bimini Bahamas has a 10 foot Hammerhead shark hanging around. Eats the scraps from fish cleaning. Nobody swims there either.
MacGregor 26M

mjalfonsi

That can't be the reason our 'gator hangs around. There is a sign in the fish cleaning area that very clearly states "Don't throw scraps in the water."  Also, it is against the law in SC to feed a 'gator!
Martin J Alfonsi
23' Hunter
mja@egallo.com