News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Good Old Boat Mag

Started by Zen, December 29, 2005, 11:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

As this is my favorite sail site, Good old boat is my favorite sailing mag.
The current issue I just got today, has articles on:

Standing Rigging
Anchoring
Equipment for a solo voyage
Solar panels - the good and bad of them
What a sailor did when he drille d ahole in his hull , whilst still afloat...

good stuff

Sometimes I just like the pictures, but this issue was very good.  :D

...Zen's end of the year reading pick for 05'
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Triton218

It's a great magazine and the folks that run it are absolutely outstanding.
- Jason King
Mojito, Pearson Triton #218
New Orleans, LA

www.triton218.com

s/v Faith

IMHO, Good Old Boat is the best boat magazine. 

I thought the offer of a free years subscription for current subscribers.... hit by the 'canes on the gulf coast was a great thing to do.  This was not some ploy to boost circulation, but them doing what they could to help.

I also like the focus, the sailing magazine for 'the rest of us'

I had a script to 'Sail' for a year (bought on Ebay for $7).  I could read whole issues without finding a single article of interest....  ::)
Titles like 'cruising for less then $10,000 a month' and the like.....

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

what other mag would have an article on 'home preserving meat'??   GREAT MAG for REAL people
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

oded kishony

I love GOB, great articles, great pix, great people. What's the verdict on 'Practical Sailor'. I got a subscription offer and I'm thinking of trying it.

oded kishony

Triton218

QuoteI thought the offer of a free years subscription for current subscribers.... hit by the 'canes on the gulf coast was a great thing to do.

Absolutely. I sure appreciated the gesture. They've given away a 12 month subscription, but I'll pay for renewals as long as they're in business.

As far as Practical Sailor goes - I've subscribed for awhile and I enjoy reading it, but it is expensive for what you get. I understand they don't have advertisers and they are certainly filling a niche, but different readers will find different values in the magazine. You can get a short subscription for about $14 - try that one first.
- Jason King
Mojito, Pearson Triton #218
New Orleans, LA

www.triton218.com

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on January 02, 2006, 10:17:01 PM
I had a script to 'Sail' for a year (bought on Ebay for $7).  I could read whole issues without finding a single article of interest....  ::)
Titles like 'cruising for less then $10,000 a month' and the like.....

I had 'Sail" for a while, too.  It was pretty good at first, but went way down hill when they started sending staff "on assignment" for stories.  I remember the change - it was very distinct.  It became more fluff than substance, and it most certainly caters more to the 'big spender' crowd.

Two mags I like (but no longer have subscriptions to due to paring down of the influx of mail) are Boatbuilder and Ocean Navigator.  ON is more of a professional trade journal with some hard core info; I especially liked the the nav problems in the back each month (somethimes celestial, sometimes radar, etc).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

GordMay

Gord May
~~_/)_~~

Pixie Dust

My Fav is Good Old Boat.  Always articles of interest and benefit with a practical, affordable side included.
Latts Atts, Sail, Cruising World, never really felt I got a lot of good info from.  Used to enjoy Latts and Atts more, esp for entertainment, but it has lost its luster in the last yr.  I will not be renewing that one.  IMHO   8)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Seadogg

Like a lot of us, I dropped my 'script for Sail and now subscribe to Good Old Boat.  Love it!  Signed up at Chicago Strictly Sail this past February so I also got the CD freebie.
I'll  pick up a copy of Boatworks if the articles look like they apply to what I'm doing.  Pretty safe bet since I'm working on EVERYTHING on the boat. 

The previous owner must have been demented!  ::)

Nick
S/V  First Step

Destination?? Sailing IS the destination!!

AdriftAtSea

I love the articles and the coverage of Good Old Boat, even if the Pretty Gee doesn't qualify as one. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

psyche

For those who may have ideas of converting a quarter berth to a cockpit locker there is an article in the new issue of Good Old Boat written by James Baldwin about doing this in my 8.7 Columbia. I thought some of you might  find this of interest. Dan

s/v Faith

I look forward to getting that edition Dan.  I hope there are lots of pictures of Psyche, she is a great example of what can be done to make a 'Good old Boat' into a great cruising boat.

What month will the article be in?  Will it cover all of the amazing work you and James Baldwin have done or will it focus on converting a quarter berth to a cockpit locker?

Greenman

Yes, excellent Mag, however I have a problem. They need to change their cover art a little more drastically due to the long break between issues. They seem to love the low light and/or foggy shots.

LOL, I bought the same issue twice at $8.95, then refused to buy the nest issue because the cover looked too close. Now I have to go back for it. So maybe I am a dummy  ;D at least the boss thinks so most of the ime.
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

AdriftAtSea

If you were a subscriber, you'd save money and not have this problem. :)
Quote from: Greenman on November 14, 2008, 05:07:49 AM
Yes, excellent Mag, however I have a problem. They need to change their cover art a little more drastically due to the long break between issues. They seem to love the low light and/or foggy shots.

LOL, I bought the same issue twice at $8.95, then refused to buy the nest issue because the cover looked too close. Now I have to go back for it. So maybe I am a dummy  ;D at least the boss thinks so most of the ime.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Greenman

LOL If I were smarter it would help too. I guess I will ask the Money lady if I am allowed to subscribe :D
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Auspicious

GOB is definitely my favorite. You don't have to have a 20 year old boat to learn very good stuff from the articles.

I still flip through Sail, L&A, and Cruising World, but I really read GOB cover to cover including the ads.

I read GOB, Sail, and CW at the library; L&A on-line. Mail control is important! <grin>
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

dnice

Quote from: GordMay on March 08, 2006, 06:35:43 AM
"Good Old Boat" offers a FREE trial  issue - how can you go wrong ?
http://www.goodoldboat.com
http://goodoldboat.no-ip.com:8080/GOBWeb/GOBSamplers/

I got their free trial issue and they accidently kept sending them to me. I thought maybe they were gonna try and charge me for the extra issues, or tell me that I had somehow subscribed to a full year or something, but they didn't. When I called to find out, they didn't even say if it was a mistake or not, they just said 'ok we'll stop sending them'! I shoulda let a few more come in before I called :) I ended up with 3 free issues.

anyway, great people, great magazine. the free issue is definately free with no obligations. (and its the current issue).

Soundbounder

So many of the glossy mags today target the 55 foot boat owner.
I am really sick of articles about some mega-yacht in Greece.
Good Old Boat has some good boat reviews, and plenty of "how-to" articles.
Their target audience is someone with a 1960-70s sailboat.

s/v Faith

It is kind of funny how many of the articles in GOB involve the boats represented here.

It is a rare month when one of our members boats (or sisters) are in that magazine.  There have even been a couple
of times whoever wrote the articles seemed to have read some of the threads here.

I wonder how many here now are subscribers?  Does everyone know about the free issue offer (posted earlier in this thread)?