News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Mustard: Cooking with it?

Started by Sails12, November 28, 2007, 07:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sails12

i was wondering if anyone here had any good recipes using the popular yellow condiment??? has anyone used like dijon mustard like Grey Poupon Mustard in some of those recipes????

AdriftAtSea

Yup...and you get better flavor in the final product IMHO. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Cmdr Pete

3 parts mayo

2 parts mustard

1 part lemon juice

mix together and smear on fish

bake or broil
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Sails12

have u ever used Grey Poupon Mustard b4 AdriftAtSea??? if so you might be interested with the 3 new flavors of Grey Poupon Mustard: Harvest Coarse Ground, Hearty Spicy Brown and Savory Honey. i just got all 3 and my favorite is Hearty Spicy Brown, its got finely diced onions and its really good on grilled hot dogs. theres more info on greypoupon.com if ur interested.

AdriftAtSea

I've used GP a lot before, both for cooking and as a condiment for grilled stuff.  Good to hear about the new flavors... I'll have to check them out. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Heniz dijon goes great on Ramen noodles.  I know, it sounds nuts but try it.

(I just cook the noodles and drain the water)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CapnK

Gotta have some good mustard on the bratwurst. :D

I also use it in my hot wing sauce.

It also seems to last quite a long while without refrigeration. I observed the same rules as with mayo; keep it clean! A bottle lasted several months and was still good - at least, it tasted that way, and there were no notable side effects from using it. :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Solace

Best stand alone mustard - my vote goes to Stadium Mustard - only available in Cleveland, OH

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Captain Smollett

We cook with mustard all the time.  In fact, we often save (three or four at once ...  ::) ) nearly empty mustard containers, because when the spirit moves her, my wife makes sauces from the dregs in the bottles (*).  These typically go on baked chicken, but also on fish.

(*) Pour bit of water or vinegar in the 'empty' mustard bottle, shake like crazy, pour out into a saucepan, add salt, pepper, garlic or whatever suits you, heat it up, and thar ya go...quick and easy sauce.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

For an actual recipe, one of my favorites is Pommery Chicken, which I got from the chef at a place in Durham, NC.

Pound some boneless chicken breasts fairly thin
Dredge them in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese
Brown in a pan with some olive oil; remove when done

Deglaze the pan with white wine
Add a tablespoon or so of Pommery Mustard and a half cup (or a cup, I cannot recall..do it by feel) of cream, and medium heat to reduce the sauce.  Add salt/pepper to the sauce to taste.

Spoon the sauce over the chicken breasts.

Yummy!

Some sites I dug up while trying to find a source for that Pommery mustard that have additional recipes:

The Mustard Museum

A Mustard Recipe List

And, if you want to make your own mustards,

G.S. Dunn
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Auspicious

I'm continuing to collect ways to make food stay good longer. Making mayo from egg, oil, and some spices is one way - the ingredients last much longer than the product, even the store-bought preservative-laden sort. I've just started experimenting with making my own mustard. Check out this web page: http://www.ilhawaii.net/~danrubio/mustard/recipes/dijonsty.html . The same web site has a number of recipes that include mustard. The curry is darn good.

The more I can keep out of the refrigerator the better.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Delezynski

On thing we did that turned out well. Take a mustard bottle that is almost finished, add vinegar to it and shake, Makes a very good salad dressing.

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com

Manannan

I understand the satisfaction of making your own mustard, but if there is something that keeps well it is mustard. Well the real stuff, meaning Dijon style in white wine of vinegar. (vinegar the better, at least to French taste buds.. and for conservation also).
Mustard is very versatile and you can do about anything you wish with it. Just experiment, you cannot be wrong. Another alternative to mayonnaise is ''sauce moutarde''. Just add slowly oil (olive oil best, but any kind will do) to a good amount of mustard (Dijon style, Maille of Grey Poupon, the closest you can get from the real thing outside France). Mix with a spoon or fork until it gets thick, add as much oil as you need to get a good thick sauce almost the  consistency of Mayo. Salt, pepper, and a few drops of vinegar at the end. then use it as you wish, no rules there, beside letting your culinary imagination go wild  ;D
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...