News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

weatherfax

Started by mrbill, December 02, 2007, 07:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbill

Anyone have any experience receiving weatherfax with small SW receivers, like the Grundig E5 connected to your laptop computer and running software like JVComm32?

maxiSwede

On an oldish laptop I bought from a returning circumnavigator, I have M-scan as software. I have tried a couple of times to recieve w.fax from an SSB reciever. Works fine. I run a cable from the reciever's head-phone socket to the mic-socket in the laptop.

I've only been caoastal so  I haven't really needed to use it, but it should work, and on the cheap too, which is nice  ;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

AdriftAtSea

Swede-

You might want to run it into the line-in port, if the laptop has one.  The Mic port may be set for the wrong signal level for it come in clearly.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

mrbill

OK, the reason I ask is that I have a Grundig E5 which is billed as a sw receiver capable of receiving weatherfax. But I can't find any weatherfax transmissions on the SSB frequencies that they are supposed to be on. For that matter I can't pull in ANY sw signals...voice, morse...nothing but static on all frequencies.

Is this an antenna problem...or is it just a piece of junk?

Auspicious

I'd start with the antenna. What are you using?
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

mrbill

the built-in extendable antenna with a clip-on long wire  that extends up to 20 feet

maxiSwede

Adrift -

I guess that is what I am actually doing. Mixing up things computer- and language-wise here, sorry  ;)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Auspicious

Mr. Bill --

You should be getting something. Where are you located (marina, home, what?) and how are you powering the radio?

What city are you located nearest?

I'm sure we can readily come up with a triage plan to figure out your problem. It should work.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

mrbill

Right now I'm doing this from home, about 45 miles inland from Boston. There is a weatherfax tranmission from Boston. However, even on a recent trip to Boston Harbor area I didn't get anything. I'm powering  off the wall socket for  now, not batteries

Godot

I have a similar radio, I think (it's a Grundig in any case, can't remember the model as I haven't unpacked it from my move so haven't seen it in awhile).

I once noticed that reception is seriously degraded when I use it in a brick building.  This surprised me; but when I took the silly little wire antenna and ran it out the window I was able to hear Herb and other chatter.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Lynx

To go off topic a bit, I have the new Garmin 440x and have the MX weather and it received quite well for $ 30 per month. I am in Hopt Town now and I can get coastal forcast from anywhere as well as where the fronts are and big rain showers.
MacGregor 26M

Auspicious

Try improving your antenna.  A long wire out the window is a good start.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay