News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Origo Stove

Started by mrbill, December 18, 2007, 02:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbill

I just bought an Origo 3000 non-pressurized stove to replace my old pressurized stove. It looks like a really fine piece of equipment. I also got the gimbals to go with it, but for the life of me I can't understand the directions as to how the gimbals are to be set up. Or, rather, I understand perfectly and it seems like a really lousy design...so I must be doing something wrong. Does anybody here have a gimballed Origo stove that they could shoot a few pictures of how they installed the gimbals so I can perhaps understand it?

I specifically concerned with the piece that attaches to the cut-out in the counter, not the piece that attaches to the stove itself.

CapnK

Quote from: mrbill on December 18, 2007, 02:27:06 PMOr, rather, I understand perfectly and it seems like a really lousy design...so I must be doing something wrong.

LOL, Bill.

I hope someone can help you out with this...

And remember - just cause someone manufactured it, doesn't mean they did it the best way possible. I see some messed up stuff come from manufacturers at times - whether instructions, or how stuff is made. You might be right in your thinking...

Good luck!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

mrbill

Not long ago I got an Origo alcohol stove to replace the aging pressurized alcohol stove for which I could no longer get parts.

Today I finally got around to filling the alcohol cannisters, and fired it up.

I get a 9-12 inch tall yellow sooty flame on the highest setting, that diminishes as the burner control is turned down, but still very sooty. Also, the control plate shifts the flame to the side as the burner control is closed down, producing uneven heating.

Somehow I had expected cleaner burning...(I am using fresh alcohol in case someone asks). I have a small homemade backpackers emergency stove (a "coke can" stove...literally made from a coke can) that burns cleaner than this.

Is this normal behavior for an Origo?

Godot

I've never used an Origo; but I wonder if perhaps there is some contamination from manufacturing (some kind of oil or solvent maybe) that is burning off.  If so, I would think that the soot would ease before long.  I've never heard anyone complain of alcohol being sooty before (although, that doesn't necessarily mean anything).
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CapnK

Is it denatured alcohol that you are using?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

Was the stove you got new or used.  If it was used, the tanks could be contaminated with something, and that could be causing the sooty flame.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

mrbill

To answer the questions, I'm using Coleman camp stove fuel...the same stuff I used in the pressurized alcohol stove. Yesterday I tried to actually cook something. When the flame was turned down, the plate over the top of the burner shifted the flame to the side as I described before, but now the pan on top caused the flame to come out the side and scorch the gimbal brackets. It took a good 15 minutes of scrubbing to get the soot off the bottom of the pan.

I expected I would get a bluish nearly invisible flame like from sterno. The stove is brand new and the fuel freshly purchased.

AdriftAtSea

camp stove fuel is more like unleaded gasoline, and probably shouldn't be used in an alcohol stove.  Use denatured alcohol instead.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Mr. Fixit

I agree with adriftatsea, Coleman fuel is similar or the same as white gas. All the stoves that use this fuel are pressure stoves, that may be the reason it worked in your alcohol pressure stove. My origo that I had in my Catalina worked well and burned clean. Almost any Hardware store will stock denatured alcohol.

mrbill

D'OH!

OK, I read the instructions (again) and see it does call for denatured grain alcohol...and nowhere on the coleman fuel can does it tell you what it is...and I think you are right...it is SOME form of alcohol but mixed with other dtuff. I guess I just assumed it would work 'cause I have used it in other non-pressurized camp stoves.

I'm off to the hardware when they open to try the "right stuff"

AdriftAtSea

It'll probably smoke a bit until the other fuel is completely out of the system. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Captain Smollett

Quote from: mrbill on March 09, 2008, 07:40:51 PM

the coleman fuel can does it tell you what it is...and I think you are right...it is SOME form of alcohol but mixed with other dtuff.

Just for info's sake, Coleman fuel does not contain alcohol - not that I've ever noticed when I've analyzed it for arson testing.  It's white gasoline, pretty much nothing more than a cleaner version of the unleaded gasoline you buy at the pump (no detergents and all that gunk they add for use in a car).

For years I burned unleaded gasoline in my camp stoves and lanterns since it was much cheaper than Coleman fuel.  Gasoline burns similar (maybe a skosh cooler), but sure does stink a lot more.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

We used unleaded gasoline in a Coleman stove and lantern for years, and never bothered buying the Coleman brand fuel... Worked fine... wouldn't know about the smell, since I've never used Coleman's fuel. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

bebop

MrBill,

I would like to know how Coleman fuel worked in your old pressure alchohol stove.  I use it for my mantle lantern and a gimbaled sea swing stove that I made from a Coleman Exponent burner(works well). I also like it because I could always through it in my gas tank in a pinch. I've been tempted to try it in my Kenyon pressure alcohol stove but the instructions say you should use only alcohol and I picture myself trying to siphon it out, thus I wonder about your experience with it. It's cheaper and has a higher caloric value than alcohol which means quicker heating.

I believe Coleman fuel is Naptha(smells like it; not gasoline)which is somewhat lighter than gasoline.

Captain Smollett

Coleman fuel is not a single formulation.  It varies.  But in general, it is very similar to gasoline (as analyzed by gc/ms).

Coleman fuel purchased today smells MUCH different from that sold 5-10 years ago.  It also has a different color.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

I would definitely NOT use Coleman fuel in an alcohol stove. Yes, it DOES contain a certain amount of Naptha, but the huge difference is the flash points of the two fuels.

Alcohol is the thing to use. Personally I don't like alcohol stoves, but that's just me ;D I have always used kerosene stoves and lamps aboard boat. since I started cruising in '76

That's 1976 for the smart butts on the board -You know who you are ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Charlie-

Good thing you clarified the year... I was going to ask you how it was to cruise on the USS Constitution's maiden post-war voyage. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Oldrig

Actually, Old Iron Sides was built for the War of 1812.
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Oldrig on March 11, 2008, 09:19:29 PM
Actually, Old Iron Sides was built for the War of 1812.

Sort of.  Designed by Joshua Humphries in 1797, iirc, and keel laid around then, so the War of 1812 was not yet conceived.  She saw a fair bit of service in the Med against the Barbary pirates before the War of 1812.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Oldrig

Smollett: You're right. As somebody who read "Six Frigates," and touted it on this board (I think), I should have known that. She did see service in the Med, but wasn't even on the drawing board in 1776.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627