News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Bicycle in Abacos

Started by Sonnie, December 29, 2007, 06:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonnie

I'm up visiting my family for the holidays and have found myself staring at my beautiful cherry-red road racing bike and wishing I could bring it with me to the Abacos. I've heard that bikes can be quite usefull in the islands, but I'm not sure if this type of bike would be a good fit with the island roads - It has skinny roadbike tires (for you old-schoolers, think "10 speed") and it really needs a paved surface in good condition to make rinding safe and worthwhile.

The question is this - How often will I find paved roads in good condition that are more than say 10-20m long? AND - Is riding a bike on these roads safe?

Cheers,
Sonnie.

Lynx

It really depends on where you will be staying. Most places that have the roads that long you can also rent bikes.

A problem that you may have is your weight limit on the plane carrying a bike.

I see a lot of cruisers with Bikes on their boats. I would not ride  a Bike on Grand Abaco Island (Marsh Harbor, Treasure Cay, Fox Town, Sandy Point). Things are just to busy and people are not looking out well enough. The smaller Cays, yes. Elbow Cay, Man of War (where I am at now) Guana Cay, Lubbers Quater etc...). Inother words, if the island roads fits golf carts, yes.

I have also heard that maintance on the bike is essential.
MacGregor 26M

Lynx

In thinking about my response I should have added that the "roads" in the Abacos are not that good some times and can be quite ruff.

I have seen people on Great Abaco Island riding bikes 20 miles from town but I would not do it.
MacGregor 26M

s/v Faith

I have carried a pair of folding bicycles onboard for 2 Years now and have never elected to use them in the Bahamas.  Not worth the stowage space IMHO, not on the 424, and certainly not aboard Faith.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.