-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

SailFar Boat Handling Tips

Started by Lynx, January 26, 2008, 05:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Auspicious on December 27, 2013, 04:41:46 AM
Quote from: w00dy on December 21, 2013, 11:32:08 AM
-headlamps beat flashlights, "hands down" ;)
With crew on delivery I am very clear. The first time you blind me with a headlamp I take it away for the rest of the trip. It's just happened too many times.

Don't hold back...tell us how you really feel   ;D :D ;) :o
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Kettlewell

Ha! Just like in many things boating, one person's cup of tea is another's dirty hot water. Myself, I have tried anchoring by the stern, but mainly only for a lunch break on an extremely hot day trying to get some more breeze below, and it didn't work too well at that either. I have had way too many times to count where during what was a peaceful overnight onboard a major thundersquall decided to join us creating the usual 2am fire drill in the anchorage, and an anchor off the stern is not what you want in that situation. For one thing, driving rain being propelled by 40mph gusts quickly soaks the cabin from one end to the other. On my boat, the heavy duty gear for anchor handling is all at the bow: windlass, bow roller, big cleats, etc. It just doesn't work well in most situations.

CharlieJ

Agree 100%

Often anchored by the stern, with the stern of the boat just off the beach, so getting on and off was an easy wade, or sometimes a step off to dry sand .

BUT-

We anchored  with a bow anchor also, and the rode for the stern anchor (which often was ON the beach) was also cleated at the bow, then led aft with enough slack so it could be cleated to a stern cleat. Then when dark came, that stern anchor line was cast off the stern  cleat, the boat swung around and rodes adjusted so the boat was well away from shore. Effectively a Bahama Moor then. Both rodes cleated on the bow

The next day it was a simple matter to re adjust rodes, move the stern anchor line back to that cleat, and go play.

In this pics taken long ago (well pre Tehani) That's the exact set up in use. The water under the stern is most likely less than a foot deep
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera