News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Don't miss the boat

Started by TJim, February 03, 2008, 09:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJim

Summer before last when I was at Home Depot to pick up some plastic plumbing parts a middle aged lady approached me wanting to know if the copper pipe was 10' or 12'.  I told her it was 10' and she said poop I need 12'. I told her they had 20' stuff and would cut it for her.  Then I asked her what she was going to do with and she asked me if I ever used ebay.  My response was just for sailboat junk.  She came right back with "You sail, best 5 years of my life."  She then told me a story of right after she graduated from college she took a vacation to St Thomas before she started "the working life." Anyway she was walking the docks, knew nothing about sailboats, and stopped to talk to an old guy who was working on his boat.  After spending a couple hours with him he invited her to go for a day sail.  The day sail lasted 5 years during which they sailed all over the world.  After 5 years he sailed her back into St Thomas and told
her to get off his boat, handed her $1000, and that he was too old for her and she needed to go get a life.  She never heard from him again.  But she really loved him, those were the best 5 years of her life.  He was 65 and she was 22 when they met.  What do you think about that? 
get a life. 

Tim

Well did you get her number Jim?  ;)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

TJim

I got 3 daughters older than her!

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Pappy Jack

A good story indeed. It reminds me of the stories I heard 20 some years ago when I sailed my 23' Venture of Newport down the Keys. There was the "old guy" in an O'Day22 (it was all he could afford after his wife passed away :'() who said that he was sunk twice buy a U-Boats in WW11, or Jo Jo and her hoard of cats on a 35' tri, or the dilivery skipper who was put under boat arrest by the Cubans after a nav error by the owner on their way to Panama ::)...and on and on it goes. Are they all true ???? Maybe not but who cares. There all good yarns and worth listening to. Someday I'll be back out there listening, sailing, and telling my own yarns...someday.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack