News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Microwave/convection oven

Started by Mr. Fixit, February 14, 2008, 06:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Fixit

Today I am still in hibernating mode--Looking out at boat as i post this (to cold get out there and get busy). I am looking for comments on combination microwave/convection ovens. I have never had one and do not know how easy it is to bake with one. I love to bake my own bread, on my Columbia 30 i will only have propane single burner--probably could use pressure cooker if I have to, and I am sure it works as a dutch oven without gasket, however a small oven should be easier to control temp. I do not have solar panels and will be using Honda 2000 to charge batteries when necessary. Bread takes about 25-30 minutes to bake I would not mind running Generator to bake bread--anybody have experience with microwave/convection ovens??? Home Depot has a Sharp brand they sell

AdriftAtSea

Be aware that an induction load, like a microwave oven is going to require a larger generator than a resistive load.  The ratings on generators is based on resistive loads, like incandescent light bulbs.  A 2000 Watt generator can handle 20 100-watt incandescent bulbs fairly easily, but may have serious problems with a 900 W microwave oven.   I'm not sure how well your generator would handle the Sharp in Convection mode, but I am guessing it might have some problems.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Just to throw this out there, you can bake bread in a pc with the gastket under pressure.

I showed my first attempt with this technique in this thread.

In that thread, I included a link to the site where I got the technique/instructions.  That site also discusses the no-gasket, non-pressure method.

Now, on microwave/convection combos, my only experience with them was in my sister's motorhome.  As I recall, the only "down side" seemed to be having to wait a period of time for cool-down before the microwave was available.

They were, of course, hooked to a 50 Amp 220 V service, so power consumption was not an issue.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

I wouldn't think you'd want to bake bread under pressure, since that would tend to compact the bread and make it pretty dense. I've used the no-gasket, unpressurized method to bake in a pressure cooker, since you're basically using it as a small dutch oven...but have never seen or tried baking under pressure in one.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

You guys DO recall there's an entire thread just on using pressure cookers in this same area?

Part of that is descriptions by Laura of her baking in a pressure cooker.

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=671.0

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 14, 2008, 08:35:06 PM
I wouldn't think you'd want to bake bread under pressure, since that would tend to compact the bread and make it pretty dense. I've used the no-gasket, unpressurized method to bake in a pressure cooker, since you're basically using it as a small dutch oven...but have never seen or tried baking under pressure in one.

See the link I posted above.  It works fine, and is well documented by various pc cookbook authors.

Prolly takes less time (and less fuel) too.  Total cooking time per loaf - about 20-25 minutes, vs. about 45-50 via non-pressure method.

We did not notice a bread density problem.  The bread was yummy.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Auspicious

First, let me share Dave's Number One Rule of Cooking on Your Boat:

"You will always come as close as possible to the cooking techniques you used on land when you cook aboard."

Even though I very rarely used a microwave on land, I added one to the boat because it seemed like a good idea. I'm thinking of taking the microwave out and converting the space back to storage. Bear that in mind in deciding if my comments are useful to you.

You don't need an oven to bake bread. Baking only requires heat from both above and below. It's easy to do on most marine grills. If your grill doesn't have enough vertical clearance under the cover, try using a metal bucket to capture the heat and direct it down onto the bread. You want as much heat coming from above as below. A thermometer mounted on the grill cover helps a lot in maintaining (sort-of) constant temperature.

I can put two loaf pans end to end in my Dickinson large Sea-B-Que. It works fine using the famous white bread recipe from Joy of Cooking. I like using the grill because it keeps heat out of the boat and gives me conventional loaf-shaped bread.

In colder weather I use the oven in my galley propane cooker.

I haven't used the pressure cooker methods for baking bread, but so very many people have been successful that it must work effectively.

With respect to your generator, remember that it is not an unlimited source of power. You are likely to fall into a pattern of charging the batteries from 50% capacity to about 80%, so during most or all of the charging cycle the charger will be in bulk mode and likely using all your generator capacity. That means the baking time with an electric oven of any kind will be extra generator time and therefore extra gasonline. I would recommend carrying extra propane instead.

I've always been a basic principles kind of guy, and find myself making my own bread, my own mayonnaise, and my own hummus (including my own tahini). The ingredients last much longer than the finished products and don't need refrigeration.

Oh - by the way - a small oven is much harder to keep to temperature. For my galley oven and the grill I have to watch the temperature pretty carefully and adjust the heat. For some reason the grill is a bit easier than the oven.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.