How do you like to KISS? / Kiss principle --what do you think is necessary

Started by Mr. Fixit, February 18, 2008, 11:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freeskier710

i have several of the small spritz bottles like for spraying with a mist, do you suggest one that will spray a stream also?
Chime in, forget your two cents, put a dime in!!!

Frank

If you click on "kiss principle"...scroll down...there is a pic of one. They are great on a small boat for many things. You can pump up the pressure fairly good too. The tip adjusts from a fine mist to a narrow stream.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

freeskier710

ok i looked at it and i have something similar to that for spraying cleaner, just a larger version of it, and i know where i can get one just like that

next question, well kinda a question:

I've been reading alot of books lately, some L&L Pardey books and a book called Sea-Steading, both of which mention oar rigs which can move a boat 1.5-2 knots under normal conditions without a ton of effort.  I am a 25 year old Professional River Guide(with alot of experience with oars) and Lifeguard in reasonably good physical shape, which makes me think this may be a great option for myself, plus the added storage space for longer distance travel, replace fuel storage with water storage and remove engine and use that space for more dry storage. Does anyone actually do that for long distances in smaller boats, does anyone have a link or photos? And what is everyones personal opinion on that option?? Keep in mind I'm young and able bodied.

nowell

I can answer part of that. I yanked my inboard. I have a small OB that moves the boat fine. While I haven't crafted/tried a skulling oar setup, I know it can be done. I think it was James Baldwin that said in his book (hes still writing) that for every island you can only get to with an engine, there is one you can get to without. Something like that. Basically hes eluding to the fact that, you can find the same beauty out there with an engine or not.

As for ditching my inboard, I have so much storage space now, I honestly don't know what to do with it most times. It really does offer up alot of options.
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

ThistleCap

A friend had me help him pull his engine.  The engine space was then converted into dry storage. One-gallon poly wide-mouthed jars, which can usually be collected from cooperating restaurants after they've emptied the salad dressings, ketchup, mustard, etc. from them, were used.  They can be used for any dry stores from cereal, spaghetti or noodles, rice, flour, etc.  With their use he could provision his boat for a year's cruising, and only occasionally needed to supplement with fresh produce.
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

freeskier710

the dry storage is definitely what i'm looking for, and having more room for water storage below waterline so i'm not tying jugs to the rails and raising my cg, also fuel gets expensive, engine maintenance, spare pats get expensive and i'm trying to go far on minimum budget, not having an engine will probably make me enjoy sailing much more because i think i wouldn't get rushed as much and could slow myself down thinking more about weather windows, tides, and currents

marujo_sortudo

I think it's a brilliant way to go.  Even with an engine, it's worth the small investment to have a sculling/rowing setup and yet another backup form of propulsion.  Once you set it up, you can pretend you don't have an engine and see what you think.

freeskier710

didn't think about doing that, having an engine for while i'm getting used to rowing/sculling, until i'm fully comfortable in tight spaces

Frank

Laundry....not the easiest on a boat. Just came across this looking for a 'no power' washer    http://www.breathingwasher.com/index.htm   Only $19

I've got 2 on order and will report later. Check the video. Simple and ya can see how it would work.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

ThistleCap

There's an easier way.  We did this like forty years ago when marinas didn't have automatic washers and dryers. At anchor, a plunger, which looks like what they're demonstating, works great and lasts forever, and even in today's economy shouldn't cost $19.  Presoak in soapy water awhile, work with plunger, change water and rinse, and wring.  If you're going to be sailing, a 5-gal bucket with a lid. Put the clothes and soap in bucket with raw water, put on lid and sail for a couple hours.  Boat motion is the agitator.  Wring out and change to  some fresh water, sail a couple more miles, and you're done.
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

CharlieJ

Even easier- don't use soap- use ammonia instead. Doesn't have to be rinsed as much as soap does and leaves no smell at all.

Laura buys industrial strength ammonia from Ace hardware. About a cup full in 2 or 3 gallons of water. Usually she rinses, but if water is short she doesn't.

Oh. And often the wash water is rain water caught off the awning or bailed out of the dinghy if it has been kept clean.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

jotruk

I have to kick in on this, when I was in the Navy we would put clothes in a mess bag and drag it behind the ship for a short while this worked really well on clothes with a lot of grease on them. Just don't want to leave the drag to long. Then a quick raise in fresh water and your good to go.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Captain Smollett

Quote from: jotruk on July 07, 2010, 08:32:14 AM

I have to kick in on this, when I was in the Navy we would put clothes in a mess bag and drag it behind the ship for a short while this worked really well on clothes with a lot of grease on them. Just don't want to leave the drag to long. Then a quick raise in fresh water and your good to go.

That's a good idea for when you are under way.  I'm sure the Navy spends more time 'at sea' than us small boat sailors, who probably generally will be spending a higher percentage of time at anchor and in port.   ;D

I gather it works as well for dishes...we bought a couple of mesh bags 'designed' for use this method for washing dishes; we use them for dirty laundry.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

SV Wind Dancer

*Idea*  1:  Invest in metal cookware, dishware, flatware; 2:  On each item drill a hole on a distal edge of each  3:  Clip each item onto a large chain fish stringer and hang it over the side and voila! the minnows and crabs do most of your work for you-  4:  If you try this while underway I suggest adding a magnum treble hook to the end of the stringer;  just in case something big mistakes your bottlewashing for the world's largest spinner lure  ;^)

CharlieJ

We've found it actually takes more fresh to totally get rid of the salt water thuan to just wash in fresh (using the ammonia of course). Once clothes are wet with salt water, at least down southbwith our humidity hey NEVER get really dry.

In fact we keep a separate towel just for drying off after swimming or snorkeling. It never goes below.

Now on the other hand, dishes are washed in salt, rinsed with fresh, using our pump shower
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera