Recipes for no fridge long distance boats

Started by nick, February 22, 2008, 06:54:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 27, 2008, 07:58:36 PM
Are the meats canned??

The live chickens were not too bad, the turkeys were a bit much on a small boat.... but stowing the hay onboard an Ariel made the beef just too much to deal with.... so we went with the cans.

;D ;D ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Lynx

On vitamins - I have seen discussion on the harmful effect of taking to much vitamins but almost always no quantizes are given or the length of time. People have died for water overdose.

From what I have found, a good daily vitamin will not hurt and if injured of sick you can 3x it for a couple of weeks with no harmful effects for most people. Medications and special needs may be exempt. On longer voyages or cruises with limited budgets where you do not eat right, it is a good practice to take a good daily vitamin in my opinion. Apples are $ 0.75 each in the Bahamas.
MacGregor 26M

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Lynx on February 28, 2008, 05:51:52 AM
On vitamins - I have seen discussion on the harmful effect of taking to much vitamins but almost always no quantizes are given or the length of time. People have died for water overdose.

From what I have found, a good daily vitamin will not hurt and if injured of sick you can 3x it for a couple of weeks with no harmful effects for most people. Medications and special needs may be exempt. On longer voyages or cruises with limited budgets where you do not eat right, it is a good practice to take a good daily vitamin in my opinion. Apples are $ 0.75 each in the Bahamas.

I double checked with my wife on this last night since it sparked discussion.  As far as I know, she is the only one participating in this discussion who is a board certified medical doctor, and therefore the only of us licensed to legally give medical advice.

Her answer: She would recommend AGAINST taking more than the labeled dose of any multivitamin due to the potential for toxic overdose.  Taking more than one vitamin containing ONLY water soluble vitamins will do no harm, but likely will do no good either.

In other words, you are very likely receiving NO BENEFIT from taking more that one per day with the possibility of doing harm to your body.

This is second hand so cannot be considered "medical advice," but that's what she told ME.  Seems to me the best bet is to follow the label.  If it says one per day, maybe that's what one should take.

As always, YMMV.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

AHA!!! I see some one ELSE carries Vienna Sausages. We were afraid we might be the ONLY ones sophisticated enough to enjoy the things ;D ;D In fact, that's what we had for lunch today, while sliding up the Matagorda Channel doing 7.5 MPH under a working jib only. Plate of cheese slices, Vienna sausages, and New York style, sea salt bagle crispsl

And what is instant butter?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Yes Charlie, Rose and I will enjoy the finest of Austrian cuisine from time to time.....

The oft denigrated morsels are just the ticket at times.  I have even been known to make something of a pate from them, which is good on crackers with mustard.

Quotewhat is instant butter?

While a distant second to the New Zealand canned butter we got in the Bahamas, the instant butter is better then no butter at all.  It comes in small packets and is basically dehydrated butter.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cmdr Pete

hmmmm....Vienna sausages...that's some good eating  :P :P

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Leroy - Gulf 29

Quote from: Cmdr Pete on February 29, 2008, 10:20:45 AM

You're supposed to eat them, not read what they contain.  It's like eating oysters on the half shell - if you take a bite, you don't want to look at the other half :D

Cmdr Pete

My personal favorite--12 days supply of cholesterol in one can

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Frank

wash them  down with rum to prove you ARE on a true 'health kick'  :o
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

Truly revolting stuff...  :o
Quote from: Cmdr Pete on February 29, 2008, 11:11:52 AM
My personal favorite--12 days supply of cholesterol in one can

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

Now THAT we'll pass on, thank you.

But another thing often maligned and not mentioned here is that old stand by- SPAM!! ;D

We like it sliced very thin and fried crisp, along  with pancakes for breakfasts aboard. Pretty good stuff. In fact, we had fried spam sandwiches for supper last night after coming home from the boat.

Cans of Spam always have a place in our cruising larder.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

I like SPAM... but not the Turkey kind... The low fat and low sodium varieties aren't bad though. :) My sister-in-law makes fried rice with spam... she's a bit strange though. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

CharlieJ

Yep- that's the ones we buy. Amazing how hard it is to get something that isn't loaded with sodium.

Cut some really thin slices to fry for morning ( in olive oil of course ;D), cut some thicker slices for lunch time sandwiches and what ever is left, dice up into some potatoes as a side dish in the evening- three meals from one can- not bad eh?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

skylark

Quote from: skylark on February 22, 2008, 08:33:55 AM
I have been trying out dried milk and have pretty much decided that it doesn't taste good enough to drink and spoils the flavor of other things that you make using dried milk as an ingredient (like pudding).

I have to take this back.  I was using an old box of dried milk. Old as in several years old. I went out and got a new box earlier this week and the fresh stuff is actually very good.  It makes a decent milk like beverage and makes good pudding too. 

Dried milk is about as expensive as fresh milk so if you can buy fresh you are probably better off.  But for long term storage without refrigeration dried milk is a decent substitute.

Also, I want to mention that plastic peanut butter jars are very useful.

1. use them as a shaker to make milk, pudding or other drinks (lemonade, cocktails)
2. use them to soak legumes prior to cooking
3. drill 100 small holes in the top and use them to sprout seeds

They are a good size because you can get your hand inside them to clean them out easily.

Instant pudding:

2/3 cup dried milk
1 package instant pudding
2 cups water
Shake it up in an old peanut butter jar
Let it sit for 10 minutes if you can

Easy. Delicious. Call yourself a regular Chef Boyardee.

Not too sure how nutricious corn starch is though.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

AdriftAtSea

Skylark-

Chances are pretty good that the way they make dried milk has probably seen some small advances that will help with the flavor.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Cmdr Pete

Quote from: Cmdr Pete on February 29, 2008, 10:20:45 AM

Just kidding. Those are the ingredients for "potted meat" not vienna sausages.

Here's an idea---stick a vienna sausage into a dollop of bisquit or cornbread batter before you bake it up in the pressure cooker.

Another thing to try is instant polenta. Use polenta instead of rice or pasta. Whisk in some cheese toward the end.  Leftover polenta can be cut into slices and cooked up in a pan.

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Lynx

Instant creamer taste better than milk for me. You just need hot water and is about 1/2 the price.

I realize that there is much debate about vitamins and what one can handle. However one can have decencies that need to be prevented.
MacGregor 26M

vinegarj

newt

I know that I'm a bit late for this discussion, but I would second the one vitamin a day Rx- or even be careful with that. I got a kidney stone one summer from too much Vit C and Calcium. And Vits A and D can be toxic. (Yeah, there is a second MD on the site, just that he never reads the discussions enough :P)
BTW- there was a nice discussion on leaving the fridge home in "Walden at Sea". I would also recommend "Care and Feeding of the Sailing Crew" by Lin and Larry Pardey. They seem to have gone everywhere without a fridge on their first sailboat.
With it 65 degrees outside, I just can't seem to get in on my computer... ;)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...