News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Soy-Strip

Started by Bill NH, February 27, 2008, 12:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill NH

Has anyone worked with Franmar's Soy-Strip bottom paint remover?  Saw it did well in Practical Sailor's tests and thinking of giving it a try...  They say 1 gallon is good for 130-200 square feet.  Can anyone confirm this range, or say whether it's on the optimistic or pessimistic side?  The area I need to do is right in the middle of this range, and it'd be a bummer to run out two feet from the stern...
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

AdriftAtSea

Bill-

To be safe... say you need 1 gallon for every 100 sq. ft.  That should give you some safety margin.  IIRC, the stuff is fairly slow to work at lower temperatures...so unless it is an abnormally warm day... a heated boat shed is probably necessary.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Bill NH

WAY to cold in New Hampshire now  :o, with the snow drifts so high I can touch my roof without jumping.  The snow that has slid off the cover on my Vega is piled almost up to the waterline, and she's on blocks and draws four feet plus!

I'm just planning ahead for a sunny day in May - like to get all the supplies lined up in advance so I can hit the ground running!  As expensive as the stuff is, I'm leaning towards buying an extra gallon just to be safe.

You know if anyone in New England is carrying Soy-Strip?
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

AdriftAtSea

You're best bet is to call Franmar, who makes the stuff, and ask them if they have a NH or New England distributor.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more