Abacos charts and Cruising guides

Started by Doug C., March 21, 2008, 12:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug C.

I would like to get some input regarding charts and cruising guides for the Abacos.  I have used Explorer chartbooks in the past and was wondering if they are still among the best.  Also in need of a good cruising guide.

Thanks
Doug

psyche

The Explorer Charts are still the charts of choice for the Bahamas. There are new updated editions of the Explorer charts. There is a new (2006) Explorer chart, Sea of Abaco for $11.95. Stephen Pavlidis' Guides are very good and if you go to his website you will find updates. Having said this Steve Dodge has a new edition to his "Cruising Guide to Abaco." The guide includes resurveys from 2005. He also has an Abaco chart AB001 that sells for $19.95 that you might want to consider in addition to the Explorer Charts. All of these are available from Bluewater books and charts WWW.bluewaterweb.com Dan

Frank

We are 'just' finishing another Bahamas cruise :-(   I have 3 cruise guides on board but the one that consistantly lives in the cockpit wih me is 'explorer'.Can't beat it.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Lynx

The Expoloer charts are so good that almost everybody is putting them in their GPS Map. I do recommend this for small boats to get in and out of the shallow places.

Guides, I have not found a bad one yet!!!
MacGregor 26M

psyche

Frank when you said the guide that lives in the cockpit with you was the Explorer were you referring to the Explorer chartbook or is there a guide called explorer. I am not familiar with a guide called explorer other than Monty and Sara Lewis' Explorer chartbooks. Dan

Frank

Explorer chartbook.Lots of notes and local info there as well.Great buy @ $50...plus now they are waterproof
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Doug C.

Thanks for all the input. 

FWIW, I ordered the charts from Landfall Navigation.  They had a package special on the Explorer chart and the Cruising Guide to Abaco for $59.