Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Fuel tank removal

Started by Sandy, March 26, 2008, 09:22:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Hey folks,
On the top of the list this spring is removal of my fuel tank for a good cleaning and replacement of fuel lines on my yanmar ysb8.  I'm not anticipating any problems(of course!) but was looking for any advise,methods for cleaning the tank,or any other suggestions of things I should do while I'm at it?

Thanks guys
-Sandy
Sandy
s/v Blind Faith
1977 Cape Dory 27(#60)
Lake St.Clair.  Mich

Bill NH

What material is the tank made of?  If steel, check for rust where the tank sits against its support(s)...  This is a photo of the steel tank I pulled out of a Voyager 26 last year.  The paint looked great on the top, but as you can see the bottom was badly rusted.  I ended up replacing it with a new poly tank. 

With less rust you'll want to think about wire brushing, priming and painting the tank while its out.  Also don't forget to inspect and maintain as required the shelf or supports under the tank, and the cleats or straps that hold it down.

All in addition to getting any grunge, sediment, water, etc out of the inside of the tank...   ;)
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

AdriftAtSea

Sandy-

If there's any question about the integrity of the tank, replace it.  It isn't worth re-installing it just to have it rust out during the season.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more