News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Dinghy Anchoring

Started by Antioch, May 18, 2008, 05:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antioch

Since I finally invested some money in a dinghy for the Bligh this weekend, it occurred to me that I've never anchored a dinghy, I've always gone to shore with it or tied it to something.  What size and type of anchor would best work for a 8.5' Zodiac on silt or sand?  I thought I might anchor if I'm fishing in water too shallow for the draft of the East Wind.

Robin

P   O    R    T    L    A   N    D    -    M    A    I    N    E

AdriftAtSea

A small anchor of whatever type you're using for your boat should work fairly well.  Another good anchor for dinghies is a small river-style anchor, that looks like this:

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Lynx

I have seen just about everything. Make sure that it will not hole the dinghy and you have at least 25 feet of rode. I found a PWC anchor that has worked well. There is also the folding grapple.
MacGregor 26M

Antioch

i was thinking the little danforths might be a little too sharp.Thanks for the help.

s/v Faith

Robin,

This is a good topic, I gave you a grog for staring it.  There has not been a time in the last 3 years when Faith has had less then 3 anchors aboard, but somehow we left for the Bahamas without a dingy anchor.  I now consider the dingy anchor to be a piece of safety equipment and would not leave the boat in the dingy without it.

The little folding grapples that cost $13-20 here were silly expensive when you could even find them over there.  I found a 'PWC kit' in Marsh Harbour.... painted grapple, 50' of cheap line and a .50 cent nylon bag... for ONLY $79!....  :o

In defiance I went back to the landing, and grabbed a medium sized block of concrete.  I used that for the next couple weeks while I kept looking, and eventually bought a small ~3# danforth 'hooker' type. Like this but with less pointy flukes;

I like the little danforth, it gave me a nice piece of mind, when going ashore.  Did not have to drag the dink all the way up to the weeds.  I would just set the flukes down and push it in a bit.....  Was not ideal for the inflatable although the points were rounded on mine, so it was not as bad as some.

I have since bought a heap grapple since we got back. It looks like this one;

I am not sure if I will use it or stick with the danforth clone.  While I did see quite a few cruisers using the little grapples I don't know how well I trust them to set if needed.

I have a small river type anchor I have used for years for my canoe.  I would not recommend it for coastal cruising unless you are going to be nearby the boat.  They work ok in mud, and would be fine for keeping the dingy on the beach but I would not want to rely on one.  They do definitely win in the inflateable safety dept.

This is a big deal.  The dingy anchor is more then just to keep it on the beach were you left it... it may well be all that stands between you getting to your boat or getting swept out to sea.  There were a couple of times when I was rowing Peter ashore when making it back got iffy.  Say you are anchored near an inlet or pass, and while you are ashore the tide turns and is heading out.  You could get caught in a position where you are relying on the anchor to keep you put till you can make it back.  Maybe you just underestimate the tide... or your motor quits... or you loose / break an oar.  Keeping this in mind it is a good idea (IMHO) to have ~50' or rode... about 40' more then many dingies you see.

I know someone will say that is when you light off your EPIRB and call on your dingy sat-phone for help... I neither carry these items or think like that.  Much rather carry a good anchor.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

A technique I used a couple times, that you may want to try.  I do not recall reading about this anywhere, but I am sure I am not the first guy in the history of boats and anchors to come up with it either......

Tie you dingy rode in a loop, passing the loop through the shackle of the anchor and then tie the loop to the dingy so it can not slip.

When approaching shore, lower the anchor (don't drop, as you do not want the line to twist).  Go to the bank/ or the dock.  Once ashore you can pull on one side of the loop and coax the dingy to ride off the bank.  This can protect it from rocks, and might help keep easily pilfered items in the boat.  If you tie the loop of line ashore in a discreet location it will make someone have to at least wade in to get at your stuff... might make them look for easier targets.

Of course most folks just drop the hook off of the stern on a short scope and then tie the bow off......

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CapnK

I've a small danforth-style, but then my dinghy is hard plastic. :) I'd rather have the folding grapple, space is always at a premium in the dinghy.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Antioch

I didn't know what a "grog" was when I was given one a few replies ago. Thanks.   It's odd I didn't think about buying an anchor for the dinghy until after I'd bought it... but now that I've read all the contributions it occurred that there are plenty of situations where there's nothing to tie a line to, and being able to stick an anchor further up on the beach and leave the dinghy floating in the water would be better.  In the past when there's been nothing to tie on to, I've simply dragged the boat up on shore...

Robin