What should I do about putting on zinks? Needed on motor?

Started by polecat, June 01, 2008, 09:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polecat

This is a freshwater trailer sailer going to saltwater for first time. It is a H23 with a Tohatsu outboard - 5hp.  Any suggestions as to where to put them what size/style
etc?
Thanks for any help
jim

AdriftAtSea

Check your owner's manual.  It probably has two external zincs on the outer part of the lower unit, as well as one for the cooling system heat exchanger.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

I can' recall ever seeing one on the powerhead, but agree with the rest of what Dan said.  Look on the sides of the lower unit, there are some grey parts on the side near the anti-cavitation plate.  They should have come on the motor when it was new, but do eventually corrode and can fall of as part of their normal life cycle.

You also want to take a minute to flush the motor when you pull the boat out of the water.  You can either use the 'earmuff' style clamp and a garden hose, or just run the motor in a bucket of water for a few minutes.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Quote from: s/v Faith on June 05, 2008, 08:12:13 AM
......Look on the sides of the lower unit, there are some grey parts on the side near the anti-cavitation plate.  They should have come on the motor when it was new, but do eventually corrode and can fall of as part of their normal life cycle........

I just went a took a look at one (actually a Merc 6, but same motor, came off of the same mfg line (Tomatsu) just a different label on the powerhead... and a smaller carb to limit the RPM and keep it at 5hp rather then 6).

There are not 2 on the lower unit, there is only 1.  It is a small 1" square on the port side.

polecat

Thanks Faith - Dan
I saw that little square held on with a small stainless bolt- but would never have thought that it was a zink.  Thanks for leading me to it!! Also didn't know the tohatsu was the same as a Mercury -- thats helpfull info. 

I was looking for something alot bigger.  I figure I'll just keep an eye on it & if it starts going away - buy one of those grouper zinks from WM that you attach to a shroud & chuck it over the side.

I really don't want to have to attach any zink to the wing keel.  The only thing bonded is the mast to the keel bolt. 

Thanks again
jim

AdriftAtSea

Actually, the Mercuries are made by Tohatsu...not the other way around. :) I have a 3.5 HP Tohatsu four-stroke as a dinghy motor, and a 20 HP four-stroke Honda for the big boat. :) Generally motors below 8 HP seem to have only one external zinc, and above that seem to have more. 

The only one that is really important if you don't keep the motor in the water, like in an outboard well, is the one for the cooling system.

I've got the Tohatsu service manual for my small outboard, and can look up if they're using a zinc for the cooling system and where it is located.  It is probably in much the same place on the other small Tohatsus.

Let me know.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

polecat

Dan - Now that I know I need to do more on the engine - I'd best get my own manual -   I bought Aweigh used out of an estate and didn't get any manuals.  Haven't found any on the internet yet - but will eventually.
Have time - won't be floatin till late Sept.
Thanks Jim

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

polecat

Dan - got the manual for my 2cycle 5 hp Tohatsu and it doesn't show any other zink in the engine. The outboard mechanic said he'd never had to work on a 5hp and didn't "think" it had anything else other than the little rectangular anode.  Guess I'll go with it as it is.
jim

s/v Faith

I have had mine for about 3 weeks now, and have noticed that the zink really starts to bleed badly when I leave the motor in the well for a couple days.

I miss the big ole zinc on the cav plate of that Yamaha I used to use.. it was about 6x as large as the little bit of zink on the Tohatsu / Nissan / Mercury.