News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Drfter

Started by wild one, June 04, 2008, 10:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wild one

Hi all, I hae  dumb? for you. I bought a gennaker/drifter from ebay and was wondering up to what wind speed do you fly one these things and how close to the wind will I be able to use it?. The item # is 130225640876 if this helps.....Thanks..Tracy

AdriftAtSea

It would help to know who made the sail and what weight cloth it was made out of.  The screacher I have is good up to about 14 knots apparent.  Depending on the cut of the sail, it may be good for as high as 50˚ off apparent, or designed only for downwind work. 

Unfortunately, the ebay listing has very little information, aside from the dimensions of the sail.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Quote from: wild one on June 04, 2008, 10:44:35 AM
Hi all, I hae  dumb? for you. I bought a gennaker/drifter from ebay and was wondering up to what wind speed do you fly one these things and how close to the wind will I be able to use it?. The item # is 130225640876 if this helps.....Thanks..Tracy

Tracy, I think your best bet is to fly the sail in fairly light winds to start, then see what YOU are comfortable doing with it and how it performs on your boat.  That's what counts.

What some book or theory says is the 'max' wind or highest angle is pretty much going to be just a starting point for actual trials anyway.  At least that's how I think of these things.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain