News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Scooters list

Started by CapnK, July 02, 2008, 02:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fischer8504

I figure this is the best place for this question hope ya don't mind Capt. K. Roughly how long are all you scooters planning to stick around the destination??

CapnK

Hmm, that hasn't really been discussed...

I think it will be a matter of how much time each individual has?

Without any reason for it, or any input from anyone else, I've been rough 'budgeting' time as follows: 7-10 days to get to Eleuthera, and then at least a couple of days there to hang out, rest up, share Grog and stories and look at Scooter botes. Then probably meander NWestward up through the 'Hamas for a few days, and make a jump straight for home with a Stream boost from West End, is what I've been thinking. While I'd love to take several weeks and cruise all around ;D, unless I start buying Lotto tickets (winning ones!), then 3 weeks to a month would be my max duration for being away from work that dirty word.  :-\

What have other folks been thinking?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Godot

Assuming I can satisfy the personal challenges I'm currently dealing with (I now think I can recover financially and I'm still working on my wife's anxiety)...

I've got a month for vacation, plus several days due to clever scheduling at work.  I was planning up to TWO weeks to get there.  It is against the stream and predominant wind, after all.  With an estimated 650-700 nm, I would hope I can at least average 50nm made good a day.  Whatever I don't use plus maybe five days or so hanging in the Bahamas, then up to ten days back to Baltimore.  All of this would depend on weather forecasts, of course, and is nothing close to a firm schedule.

Captk is right, 'w*rk' is a dirty word and should probably be censored by the profanity filter.  An extra couple of weeks (or more) would really make this trip.  But bills still gotta get paid.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

ronc98

50-60nm a day is what I am hoping for.  As it stands right now I have 3-4 weeks of vacation set aside for this trip.   Depending upon how bad the economy gets my vacation might become permanent. 

Mario G

Mario& Sherry
1975 chrysler C-22  (19' AWL)
s/v Southern Wind

port :Waters of NC
4. 26 .10

If I could sell my business I'd be there already

TritonSkipper

Quote from: CapnK on July 02, 2008, 02:36:30 PM
If you are serious about Scooting, and want your name added to the list, post your info here and I'll put it on the Scooters list.

For now, if you would please format it like so:

Name
Vessel Name/Vessel Type/Vessel Length
Home Port
Additional info (Your planned Start date, blog/website address for you/your boat, that sort of thing...)

CapnK,

I might be able to use this as a sort of deadline to motivate me to get the boat on the water quicker.

Name: TritonSkipper/Jeff Z
Vessel Name: S/V Alcyone
Vessel Type: Pearson Triton
Vessel Length: 28'6"
Home Port: Middletown, CT
Start Date: When you guy's tell me it's time

Thanks

Jeff
1960 Pearson Triton Hull #194
What the boat wants, The boat gets.
"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."

newt

Any Compac's going? I really want to take my 23, but I don't want to hold anyone up, and I worry about the seaworthyness.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

hearsejr

I know a guy who took a ComPac 23 to Bahamas and sailed around for 4 months before coming home to catch his wife in bed with another woman and some bum living in his living room. I have not heard from him since then but rumor has it, she left him everything and he sold everything and left again.

he tagged along with a hunter 27 and Irwen 28ish'(?).  he told me he did not have much trouble other then not reducing sail when the wind got a bit guesty a couple of times. he sugested that I stick to the old saying.."reef early reef often".

Captain Smollett

Quote from: newt on September 11, 2009, 01:46:53 PM
Any Compac's going? I really want to take my 23, but I don't want to hold anyone up, and I worry about the seaworthyness.

Not sure what you mean by 'hold anyone up.'  It's YOUR Scoot..go at your pace, do your own thing.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

newt

Capt I think we will try to keep in touch with each other, I will try to be at pace with maybe a few others. Just for safety sake. Maybe I don't want to be left behind.  I did notice a 22 fter entered. Cr$p, can I take the time off work? Can I get the boat ready? I am without safety net on this one. I will just have to figure it out.

Mario G

Hey Newt

I could be wrong but under right conditions we will have the faster boats so holding anyone up shouldn't be a problem.

I'm more then willing to sail in a group for safety reasons ( my wife was a nurse) and a lot of others.

I'm making modifications to my boat and will know ahead of time that its ready.

Auspicious

I just finished an offshore delivery in which a 24 spanked a 37 in 10kts true and 4 - 6 kt seas. I think I'm a pretty good sail trimmer but Art on Promise can really move a boat.

It's more about the sailor than the boat.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Frank

When you are on a passage it is fairly difficult to sail in a group. It may start out that way but several hours in there will be a fair distance between everyone.On a passage this long even by the second day all will be fairly spread out and mostly out of sight. I believe it would be great to try and maintain VHF contact. Its nice to know where others are and there is security having them know your position.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Agree. It can be quite difficult to stay in sight of even one other boat at sea.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

newt

Will anyone out there have a SSB?  We may loose VHF contact by the end of the trip.

Auspicious

I have a SSB and will be on marine and ham frequencies. My VHF antenna is up 65'. I should certainly be able to cover the front of the fleet.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

atomvoyager

If any of the group heading south or on their way back north find themselves west of the Gulf Stream in the Brunswick, GA area and want to stop here, St. Simons Sound has a safe inlet and nearby anchorage. Give us a call and if we're home would like to meet you and give you a ride to the store if needed.

Of course we may be in the Bahamas ourselves around May so might see you there with our new F-27 trimaran. This May I made a four day nonstop passage from Brunswick to Marsh Harbour, Abacos in a 26' Morris Frances so that is another possible route if you are in this area. Details at:

http://atomvoyages.com/voyaging/blog2009.htm

James Baldwin
Triton #384 Atom
F-27 Trimaran

912-222-8404

newt

Is this a long term relationship with a multihull Mr. Baldwin? Or just a fling with a hot chic? I had always considered you one of the mainstays of the monohull community.  ;D

svsoutherncross

Hey ya'll! It's been a while since I've logged on , been working on the boat(s), two jobs, all that noise. Anyway, here we go:

Name: Kyle & Darcy
Vessel Name: Southern Cross
Vessel type: Islander 34
Home Port: Tull's Bay, NC

Well, I don't know if I'm technically following the guidelines for the Scoot, but here's our plans: Head south on the ICW from NC mid-January 2010. Meander for a few months, make the jump over to the 'Hamas, meet up with y'all in Eleuthera. From there, on to Rio Dulce!

polecat

Sorry to say we won't be making the scoot.  Sooner is ready but her crew faces ongoing medical issues.  Looking to get underway this October. 
jim