News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Removing Old Name Paint

Started by Kailyst, January 09, 2006, 03:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kailyst

Does anyone know of a GOOD way to remove an old name that's painted on? Our girl goes by a new name these days and we want to make it all right, tight and legal. We have the new registration, etc., but we don't want to do any damage to remove her old name.

Of course, once we get it all finished, we will be re-Christening her properly with the best champagne $20.00 can buy!  ;D :D
We're all here because we're not all there.

Jack Tar

Well you can always have a graphics shop make a background for the new name. I dont know the correct terminology for it. Looks like a long flag with double ends
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

CharlieJ

Is the hull painted or gel coat? If it's gel coat you can remove the painted name with Lacquer thinner or acetone, which won't hurt the gel coat.

Wear gloves for either.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

THis may sound like a stupid question, but are you sure that it is not a decal?  Try peeling up the edges. 

Some decals can look handpainted.  Mine were, when I removed the prior name.  The boat was much happier once it was gone.... ::)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

if it's vinyl lettering you can remove that using a hair dryer and a razor scraper. Just be careful to keep the scraper FLAT.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Kailyst

THANKS!!!! We'll be giving these a try when the weather gets a bit better.
We're all here because we're not all there.

captedteach

I'm about  to try some citrus paint remover before I get after a boat I have with a sander - Acetone and lacquer thinner didnt work on mine and those are my favorite things to use.  FYI the gel coat will be raised under the lettering so you may want to block sand the area to flatten it once you have the old lettering off so you dont have a 'shadow' of the old lettering.
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

captedteach

The Citrus paint and varnish remover SUX - I sanded all of the lettering and stripes off of the boat and had one side done in three hours.  Of course I have all the proper sanders and paper laying around for this kinda stuff - Dont forget a respirator as a LOT of letterers use LEAD based paints like One Shot
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

AllAboutMe

I just found this thread, so if it's too late, never mind. Gel Coat is a hard polymer and is very resistant to alot of chemicals. One of these chemicals is...ready??? ....Easy Off oven cleaner. Most of the lettering paints are very sensitive to Easy Off. Simply brush it on over the letters, let it sit for a few minutes, and scrape off the paint with a plastic putty knife. Rinse well, rinse again, and then rinse again. Make sure you have gel coat and not paint. I've used this method on gel coat and on automotive finishes, and haven't had any bad results, but I wouldn't want to be responsible for melting your finish.
If the lettering is self stick vinyl, then I would suggest as others have, using a heat gun and a plastic scraper.
Larry W.

s/v Faith

Who was it on this site who makes name decals?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on March 29, 2007, 12:12:23 PM
Who was it on this site who makes name decals?

That's Rik: OldGuy52

Link to his Graphics Site: RJS Grafx
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

3M also makes a wheel for a drill that is designed to remove vinyl pinstriping, and from what I've seen it works quite well on vinyl lettering and decals.  Of course, if the lettering is painted, then it won't do squat.  :) 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more