posts and critiques and debates - these things help me learn

Started by OptiMystic, August 03, 2008, 09:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OptiMystic

I make posts about things I am doing to my boat not just to share knowledge as I am not really an expert, but also to get feedback about how I might improve it or - worst case - what is horribly wrong with what I did. Maybe nothing is wrong and I help the next person wanting to do something similar - sure, that's what I hope is the case.  If someone posts about a problem, I may follow up and try to pin down specifics so that I understand or to figure out if you are giving me facts/consensus or opinions/preference. That doesn't mean I don't value opinions; just that I want to know the difference.

Why am I telling you this? In posts and PMs, I have had people worry I would take a comment the wrong way or seem to take offense that I asked a follow up question instead of just accepting a statement made. I enjoy debate; probably enough to annoy most people.  I like to be right, not just think I am right, so I want to be corrected when I am wrong. I think people primarily participate in these forums to share info and help each other. So take off the gloves and don't be subtle and don't worry about my psyche (that ship has sailed  ::) ) or self confidence.
-Andy

Disclaimer: I am not an experienced blue water sailor. My boat is not a blue water cruiser. So most of my knowledge is from research, discussion or sailing near shore and inshore. "Grain of salt" applies...

okawbow

Grog for your effort!  There is something to learn from nearly every post I've read on Sailfar. Keep posting your projects. They get me thinking!
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Pappy Jack

Hi Opti,

I'm with you. Nobody knows everything and everybody should be learning, I know I am. Just do what it takes to learn and don't worry about the little stuff.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

Lynx

You might be supprised what people do not know and doing wrong. So many things are different with small boats it is best to ask.
MacGregor 26M

Shawn T W.

Yeah, I agree, and I also say "a person should say what they mean, and mean what they say" but . . . it should be said not only courteously, but factual with as much accuracy as possible. And people may need also to understand, that some things aren't always known up front. For instance, your engine may have a skip, and it started shortly after refueling, one could reasonably assume that it was bad fuel . . . however . . . it could be that you have an ignition problem which started acting up at about the same time, but with more questions, it could be discovered that a bad plug, or wire could be the culprit.

Certainly a wide range of input is helpful for one to learn the "Right" way, and how "not" to do something. And that is why I joined here, to glean from what others have learned.

Shawn

AdriftAtSea

And hopefully, by being here, we can avoid the painful parts of the learning curve that can be the hardest teacher out there...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

saxon

I agree with the above comments Opti, it's the buggers that think they know it all that you have to give a wide berth. Fortunately this forum seems to be clear of seagoing encyclopaedias.    ;D  ;D Regards Saxon.
Do you know what you are talking about, or did you ask Mr Google...again?

rtbates

Keep in mind that there are usually a few different ways to skin any given cat...

Find what works for you.
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx