News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Some storage ideas

Started by CharlieJ, August 17, 2008, 01:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

I just posted this over on TSBB and then I thought maybe I should start the same discussion here. Might even be more important for us here, than over there. I'd like to see some feedback from others on the ideas YOU'VE found workable. After all, that's where I get some of MY ideas ;D

One thing I concentrate on when doing a boat interior is fitting in as much storage in as easily accessible locations as possible. Sometimes you get storage that ISN'T easily accessed, but it's still usable for things that only get needed on rare occasions.

For example, this locker is where we stow pots and pans, and miscellaneous cleaning stuff. The shelf holds plates and bowls and under that shelf is now a slide out drawer holding long utensils such as spatulas and those wooden spoons. They aren't in that stainless container any longer. But UNDER the pots and pans is another locker. It's tough to get to because you must empty the pots and pans part to lift the cover. But it's a good place to stow extra line, spare parts, Vacuum sealed water filters, etc that may only get used once or twice a year. Hard to get to, but still valuable space. The opposite side has an identical locker under the foot of the settee berth.

When I redid the interior furnishings I also added these settee backs with lockers. There are now four lockers that didn't exist prior to our rebuild, all held closed by turnbuttons accessed through a finger hole in the door. By the way- the "Lock N Lock" containers you can see in there are the very best things we've found for storing loose items. They are totally waterproof having a four way latch onto an O-ring. They come in many many sizes from tiny to large. Expensive but worth the money.

When we redesigned the fore cabin we added these drawers and lockers underneath the sides of the Vee-berth. They didn't exist before.We keep shoes,etc in the lower locker- and clothes in the drawer. There are identical setups on each side of the boat- one for Laura and one for me.

Oh- and if you look closely at the sole you can just make out a lift out panel. That's there for access to the keel bolts, but Laura keeps a small dust pan and broom in there.

And I built these lockers along the side of the hull, one each side of the Vee-berth. They narrow the head of the berth, but we're small and the storage is worth it. The head of the berth is still 4 feet wide.

The larger door opens onto two shelves, the smaller has one shelf, plus there is the small shelf on top ( where you see the clock). We each have the same amount of space.

Couple other items-

On the back side of the door to my locker by the Vee berth, Laura made a small canvas envelope that is screwed to the door. I can put my wallet, keys, etc in there while we are aboard.

And this sunbrella envelope is alongside the foot of the settee berth, starboard side ( opposite the galley storage) It holds the nav equipment for use in chart work-dividers, parallel rules, etc

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Very nice... getting some good ideas from your photos.. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Lynx

REmoving unsed cusions during a long voyage is a real space saves, also some of the storage bags that have suction cups work well.
MacGregor 26M

Auspicious

Nicely done Charlie.

I strongly agree with you about the Lock-n-Lock containers. The best prices I have found are at QVC. Target and WalMart often have copies, but they don't seem to hold up as well as the brand-name Lock-n-Lock.

With some minor effort you can get a range of sizes with interchangeable tops: I have about 6 different sizes in the galley, but they share 3 lid sizes so I do less hunting for the right size lid.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Frank

Grog to both of ya's. Creative and very skillfully done.Thanks...I'm strealing a few ideas ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Godot

Here are a couple of photo's of what I'm working on and trying to figure out (I tried to put these in the Gallery; but it is temporarily offline)...

First is my new bulkhead cabinet.  Before, what we had here was a ugly hunk of painted plywood with a wire shelf bolted to it.  I didn't like it.  I figured I would either get rid of the bulkhead altogether (perhaps a misnomer ... it isn't structural) to open up the head and forepeak area, or build a proper cabinet.  I figure, what the heck, I'm rarely up forward anyhow and since storage is always an issue a cabinet would be in order.  I'm actually rather pleased with the way it is coming out.  Note that what you see isn't actually installed yet, it is just roughly placed in position as a trial fit.  The gaps will get smaller when I properly screw it in.

Photo #2 is a new bench.  When I first acquired the boat, there was not a bench seat here.  Instead, there was just a narrow board which crossed from the settee cabinet to the fore settee cabinet making a U shaped dinette.  Sadly, it wasn't very practical as originally designed.  The very narrow middle part of the U was directly under the side deck making it uncomfortable for anyone adult sized to sit there.  Plus, it was too narrow to sleep on.  So by building the plywood bench to wider dimensions I gain storage, a new single bunk (I haven't finished yet, obviously, so I can't convert into a double yet), and if I put the original cushion behind me, I get reasonably comfortable sitting.  Photo #3 sort of illustrates the improvement the backrest cushion would make. 

Also in Photo #2 is a new seatback cubby I'm working on.  What you see is not the final product, but a prototype of sorts.  But you get the idea.  There will eventually be better trim wood and a latching door on it.

My last photo is of the cavernous space under the cockpit.  Outside of my battery (yes, I know it isn't secured at the moment), I usually keep a couple of Rubbermaid totes full of miscellaneous junk under here.  I'm thinking of ways to reconfigure it to securely store water jerry jugs.  I have some ideas. 
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Godot

Oh, sadly my work will probably never live up to Charlie's standards.  What can I say except that I'm a wood butcher. :(
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Frank

Ya sure do have a lot of space under the cockpit.Projects are looking great. As to 'wood butcher'.....you're in good company with lots of us  ;)   grog to a fellow 'wood butcher'. Although I've been in construction all my life...footings and framing were my specialty. If ya couldn't swing hard at it with a long handled 22oz. framing hammer, it wasn't for me
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

;D ;D

Yeah but- I make a living ( or did) doing woodwork. 25 years as a furniture repair man running his own shop then into boat building. Laura spent 6 1/2 years in there working with me daily. And I've been working wood otherwise for 40 some years. Actually longer than that- my mother still has some wood work I did in junior high school- 1954 or 55. When you both have that much time spent doing it, you'll do better work too ;D ;D

Godot-- I don't see a thing wrong with your projects. Congrats.

One thought- when you figure the storage for those water jugs, figure them as close to amidships as possible- water is heavy and you probably don't want it at the transom.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Godot

I think my Seafarer is a little light in the stern, as standing water always wants to accumulate at the front side (the side without the drain) of the cockpit.  While it is unclear if any Seafarer 24s where ever built with an inboard engine.  I know it was a stated option and it looks to me like the boat is built to take one, so I think I can handle a bit more weight under the cockpit.  Since I'm currently planning on putting the water in Jerry Jugs, I probably don't want them going too far back for accessibility reasons, so they will probably end up towards the front of this under cockpit space, which will keep it out of the extreme end. 

If I use these four gallon blue containers, I figure I might typically carry 16 gallons on a regular 2-4 week cruise (to supplement the 20 gallons or so in the forpeak), which is 142 lbs or so (figuring two pounds or so for the containers).  Maybe I would double that to 32 gallons for a longer trip (284 lbs).  Even adding supporting framework I don't think it would much exceed 300 lbs.  I think even a small diesel like the Yanmar 1GM10 would probably weigh around that once you figure oil, accessories, mount, and fuel.

Which is to say I think I can add capacity back here.  The good news is, if I'm wrong, it would be a simple matter to just start removing extra water jugs.  Also good, is that it is probably a rare case when I'd load the boat up.  Unless something drastic happens and I decide quit work and sail for a year or more (which, now that I think about it, would actually be better news).
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"