-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Startin out!

Started by Shawn T W., August 19, 2008, 02:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn T W.

Howdy!

I'm new here, and to sailing!

I'm 42 and living in Arizona, (E SE of Tucson) looking to get into sailing, I went once back in the 80's in/on a hobicat 16 off the NJ shore . . . then in the mid 90's My cousin had taken a course or two, and then was a member of a yacht club, and we went out a few times on Lake Washington in a J22 I loved it, My wife had not gone, but was not interested . . . I've been working on her, and now she is open to it, and just maybe. . . . could be convince to go cruising year round!

So my idea is to buy a little (under 20') sailboat and practice tipping it over, and getting wet! Actually, plan to find out how it all works, and stay dry as much as possible, but  . . . Well you know how plans go!

Since I don't know allot about sailing (but have lots of canoe experience!) but found a neat site (not quite as cool as here!) but . . . http://www.cruising.sailingcourse.com/ which I can do at home, I'm a quick learner, and know how to swim! Besides I believe in using PFD's!

So here is my questions:

1. What should I look for as my "trainer" boat? I'm thinking mono hull 14' - 16' maybe also hobicat, but not sure if I like the "seating" position! So Mono, or Multi?

2. Hopefully in a year or two I could sell it, and buy a bigger boat .  .  . (you know the 2' itis!) and eventually If every thing works out, by the time I'm 50 I'll be cruising the world in a 26' - 30', and not lookin back! SO what do you recommend for easy "Resale"?

3. I have a little GMC Sonoma (S-15) P/U to pull this around, so that limits my choices some . . . but should be fine until my next jump up . . . How hard is it to "right" a small boat like this with two people in the water?

Thanks again,

Shawn

Lynx

Look for an older boat that you can do a little sleep in like a Venture 22 or 25. Something with a cabin so you can fix something hot, get out of the weather, Sleep and put in a potty.

Lots of these around. Have fun and welcome.
MacGregor 26M

AdriftAtSea

look for one of the compacs, or if your a bit more adventuresome, a Montgomery 17.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Shawn T W.

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on August 19, 2008, 06:44:07 PM
look for one of the compacs, or if your a bit more adventuresome, a Montgomery 17.

Thanx! Do you think they made a typo on the draft with the board up? (The meters may be right)
The Legacy

Specifications

Length Overall: 16 ft. 6 in. /  5.03 m
Beam: 6 ft. 0 in. /  1.83 m
Draft, board up: 16 ft. 0 in. /  0.41 m
Draft, board down: 3 ft. 6 in. /  1.07 m
Displacement: 1000 lbs. /  454 kg

Both that and the Montgomery sound cool, but do you think it would be ok to start out learning with them, or should I get something like a sunfish, in case I capsize?

I'm thinking over 20' might get me in trouble too quickly.

There is a nice little 15' wwp http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110281005172&rd=1 not sure where it is gonna end up . . . it is Denver, over 600 mi one way . . .

AdriftAtSea

Nah, the boat's got a really strangely shaped centerboard...:)   IIRC, the board up draft is 16" not 16'—a data entry error.

The Compacs and Montgomery boats are probably fine to learn on, since they're fairly stable. :) They'd also be good choices since you can overnight in them as well.  They also have some basic systems, but not the really complex ones you'd find on a fully-equipped cruising boat.

Quote from: Shawn T W. on August 19, 2008, 10:31:34 PM
Quote from: AdriftAtSea on August 19, 2008, 06:44:07 PM

Thanx! Do you think they made a typo on the draft with the board up? (The meters may be right)
The Legacy

Specifications

Length Overall: 16 ft. 6 in. /  5.03 m
Beam: 6 ft. 0 in. /  1.83 m
Draft, board up: 16 ft. 0 in. /  0.41 m
Draft, board down: 3 ft. 6 in. /  1.07 m
Displacement: 1000 lbs. /  454 kg

Both that and the Montgomery sound cool, but do you think it would be ok to start out learning with them, or should I get something like a sunfish, in case I capsize?

I'm thinking over 20' might get me in trouble too quickly.

There is a nice little 15' wwp http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110281005172&rd=1 not sure where it is gonna end up . . . it is Denver, over 600 mi one way . . .
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Shawn T W.

Yeah, I like the idea of being able to sleep in it, and my Wife Cyndi likes the idea of having the PP out of site when in use!

I don't like complex! Simple is GREAT! That's why I like this site! Most everybody else is trying to figure out how to add the freezer and big screen to their ships, and probably need 1000 gal fuel tanks too!

Shawn

newt

Shawn I learned on a Laser- small fast dingy that can be found for about 500 or so. Great for the reservoirs and lakes around Arizona.  (I'm originally from New Mexico) It fits on a car and is a lot faster than a sunfish. The basics of sailing can be had for pretty cheap. Just go out and enjoy yourself for a while and see if you want to make it part of your life.
My 2 cents...
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Shawn T W.

The Laser sound cool, and would I assume be easier to "right" if the occasion should "arise"! looks like a cockpit which my feet drop into, and seating is on the hull.

My one concern would be taking my wife along with me, as she needs to think this is fun too! Do you think two people would be comfortable on this?

I don't need to sleep in it, (any 1st boat) but having a place nearby we could dock to use a restroom would be nice.

BTW lakes are atleast 2 hours away, but I can make a day of it, and be home that night.

Shawn

Shawn T W.

I was originally thinking of taking this beginners course offered at http://www.arizonayachtclub.org/Education/ but  . . . I got to thinking . . . it is about 400 mile round trip, I would need to go there 4 times, I would need to spend 4 nights in a motel, and pay for the class.

1600 mi @ 25 mpg = 64 gal @ $3.70 a gallon = $236.80
Motel @ $90 a night = $360.00
Cost of Class = $350.00

Total of $946.80 And I still don't have a boat to sail!

So I could take that $900 and buy a little boat, and just go out an sail around "learning"

They use the Catalina / Capri 14.2  and was thinking if this would be more suitable for my wife and I?

It kinda looks like a little row boat with a funny little sail! Allthough the website http://www.catalinayachts.com/yachts.cfm?act=model&id=6 shows it using a jib also with a more "standard" sail? And a more pointy bow, like . . .

Thanks again,

Shawn

Lost Lake

Quote from: Shawn T W. on August 20, 2008, 11:56:07 AM
Yeah, I like the idea of being able to sleep in it, and my Wife Cyndi likes the idea of having the PP out of site when in use!

I don't like complex! Simple is GREAT! That's why I like this site! Most everybody else is trying to figure out how to add the freezer and big screen to their ships, and probably need 1000 gal fuel tanks too!

Shawn

Check out the ComPac yachts. There are CP 16's out there that can be had inexpensively, and resale is excellent. I am selling my CP 19 complete with a little gimbled burner, sink, potty, full lighting, everything!!!  The only thing is, you won't tip over a CP 19. Very stable little boats, I suppose all of them are when you get in the 20 foot range....

Yes, I am moving to bigger and more complex, but with 5 in the family I just have to.

Shawn T W.

What do you think this is?

I found it on CL. All they write about it is this "NOT SURE WHAT BRAND IT IS, SAIL BOAT DOES INCLUDE THE TRAILER TOO. I JUST NEED TO SELL IT. SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY PLEASE"

In an older listing they wrote "SAILBOAT AND TRAILER, SAIL IS INCLUDED AND THE STEERING DEVISE IS IN THE BOAT TOO. 1ST COME 1ST SERVED."

It is about 1000 mi roundtrip . . . but almost giving it away!

Shawn

Frank

Looks like an old venture.If so...lightly built but if the price is right and you're looking to learn ?????
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Lost Lake

You want a deal? Check this out....

·        1976 26' Columbia MK2 Sailboat

·        Clear title

·        No cradle or trailer included

·        Ray Marine tri-data instrument (speed, temp, depth)

·        Mast & boom (mast is up)

·        Rolling furling jib sail & main sail

·        All rigging included

·        No motor

·        Engine mount for outboard motor

·        2 gas tanks

The owner said the sails were cared for each year, the boat was ready for sail, and he was just getting too old.... So what do you think this boat sold for?

Lost Lake

She sold for $1025.

Here's the eBay link  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150282861687&rd=1

I was watching it and couldn't believe my eyes....  These charity donations are the kiss of death for a boat selling for good money....

I have a boat for sale, but if anyone is in the market, check out Boat Angels or these Boys Ranch auctions.... You can have a prospective boat surveyed prior to buying it too.

A really nice boat for $1,000 .... Unreal.....

Lynx

There is a lot of good deals out there. I would wait for a while and check out the local market. Go to the local marine store and post a Sailboat wanted sign and check out the local marinas/boat stores. Put an add in the local "Boat trader" and check out the local charities.

Check out trailer, Much rust is a b ad sign
Check out the swing keel. Lots of rust, bad sign.
check sails for rips and raise mast.
It would be rare to get a perfect boat. but cheep ones are out there.

Note: there is boats that should be fire wood as well.
MacGregor 26M

oded kishony

I bought my boat on Ebay. I lurked for a year looking every day unitl I felt comfortable that I knew what I was looking at. Finally a boat came up. There was a phone numbr at the marina but no one knew anything about the boat. I called the repair facility at the yard and hired a man to take a look at the boat. He measured moisture content of the hull and reported that she appeared in good shape. I won the auction at $1700. The surveyor assesed her value at $7000.  I put in another couple of thousand for new sails, rebuild the centerboard. She has been a terrific boat.

Paceship PY26

Oded Kishony

Shawn T W.

Yeah, $1000 would be nice, but local is hard, as there are no lake real close by . . . They wanted $200 for it, but have not returned my call . . . maybe it's gone?

I keep an eye on ebay & CL, I'll check those others too!

Thanks, 

Shawn

newt

shawn,
I bought my first dingy sailor for 25 dollars complete at a yard sail. They are out there if your willing to do a little looking.  (that included the sails!)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Shawn T W.

I am still looking . . . not in a big hurry . . . but I would like to get out on the water . . . we don't have ice here!

I'd be happy to pay only $200 - $300 for a starter boat, and would not expect it to be perfect, but very cautious to travel 1000 mi and find out it is not worth pulling home!

Shawn

Norm

Hey Shawn, welcome to Sailfar and sailing.

Reading:  Start with the book by the guy who started it all, Joshua Slocum and keep going.  Sailing literature is a great way to gain knowledge. 

Sailing:  Go sailing!  Seems obvious.  If buying a boat, try one that makes your little heart go pitta-pat.  My first boat was a 16 foot Comet.  I still have some of my best memories sailing that old boat in Pleasant Bay on Cape Cod and Biscayne Bay off Miami.

I work for a sailing school/sailing club and can say that the folks who start here and just plain "go sailing" move along pretty quickly. 

Have fun. 
AVERISERA
Boston, MA
USA 264