Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Startin out!

Started by Shawn T W., August 19, 2008, 02:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn T W.

Yeah THANX!

I have been reading about Joshua . . .neat oldtimer . . .

I am still looking, (don't really want to travel 500 mi) just need something to get out on the water, but don't want someones else's junk!

I do like the lines of the Capri 14.2 for a day sailer, and the Monty 17 looks like FUN! But not sure how much is involved with launching from a trailer all of the time, but . . . I could get two days out of it staying over night, before loading up, and coming home.

I don't care for the Hobie cat type sitting on the trampoline, (bad knees) nor the laser sitting on the edge with my butt hanging over (looks too wet!)

Shawn

rtbates

A Catalina 22 with a trailer. They're everwhere. Lots of older cheaper ones. The trailer gives you lots of options for, not only trailer sailing in new areas, but haul out for bottom paint repairs, etc. You can also sail in hurricane areas during hurricane season knowing you can plop her on a trailer and get out of dodge on a moments notice. Beats the heck out of tying her off to a bunch of mangroves in a swamp.
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

Shawn T W.

Quote from: rtbates on August 29, 2008, 03:49:57 PM
A Catalina 22 with a trailer. They're everwhere. Lots of older cheaper ones. The trailer gives you lots of options for, not only trailer sailing in new areas, but haul out for bottom paint repairs, etc. You can also sail in hurricane areas during hurricane season knowing you can plop her on a trailer and get out of dodge on a moments notice. Beats the heck out of tying her off to a bunch of mangroves in a swamp.

Wouldn't that be a bit big to get started on?

Don't have many hurrcanes in AZ, yet . . . !

Shawn

CharlieJ

Actually a Cat 22 would be an outstanding starter boat. Big enough to weekend on, big enough and stable enough to not worry about capsizing, and small enough to be forgiving and also small enough to not be intimidating.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Lynx

No, not to big starting out as you will be using it more, I think.

You could get an 8 foot boat and work your way up but you could not spend the night on it or use the head or easily cook. Makes a lot of differance for weekend use. There is some smaller in the 16 foot range.

Any boat has a learning curve. Find somebody who can teach you a way to get to and from the dock and put up the sails and study some more. No really right way, some are better than others.
MacGregor 26M

CharlieJ

Right now, and for the last month, I've been working with a pair of brand new sailors. They moved down here from Montana, and bought a Starwind 22. Neither of them had EVER been on a boat with sails until we launched it to bring it to the slip here in Port Lavaca. Our 5 hour delivery trip was the very first sail for either of them.

I've been out with them two more times, and one of the other experienced sailors at the marina has been out once.

Last Monday they solo'ed.

Kinda like watching your kid take the car for the first time ;D ;D Proud, but scared for them.

They did fine.

The Starwind is an excellent boat for them- large enough to move around on, heavy enough to not scare her. The Catalina would be the same.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Shawn T W.

OK, I'll look at the 22' range, obviously the dagger board models will be more friendly to launch off a trailer, huh?!

Shawn

CharlieJ

Do you mean centerboard models. I wouldn't really recommend a dagger board boat to a novice. Fine sailboats, but they have complications  that a centerboard or swing keeler don't. Besides, space for the dagger board trunk takes a LOT of the interior of a small boat.

I'd say look for a decent boat in the 20 to 22 foot range with a swing keel OR a stub keel with an enclosed swing.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

dnice

I'm in the same boat as you are.

I found a $300 snipe dinghy on CL that looks like the boat for me. The only problem is, its in the area I won't be in for another 3 or 4 more months.. Hopefully they'll still  have it then!

My problem is, I don't have a truck to tow a boat with, I have a car. So I'm thinking its gonna have to be either a dinghy type of boat, or something in the water. But then something in the water will have more expenses. Too much just for learning.

I would love to have something I could do weekends in, but then again, the area I will be sailing is mostly small lakes. its feasable to spend a weekend on them, but not that big a deal If i don't.
I am so anxious to get into a boat, that right now the biggest issue, how cheap is it? and where's it at?

If you can find other sailors in your area, they may be the best resource for helping find a local boat in your price range. Even in the midwest where I am moving, there is a sailing club and a local sailboat dealer!  I'm thinking that some of the best bargains are not gonna be from a dealer or broker. Keep an eye on craigslist and the local paper, and ebay could be good if you can find something in your area.
The only thing I can really suggest, is to get something thats sailable right now, you don't wanna be putting money into new sails or a motor (if it needs one) before you can get on the water for the first time.

Godot

What kind of sailing do you really want to do?

Dinghy sailing is lots of fun.  You are closer to the water.  It is exciting.  Is cheaper to maintain.  It's also much less forgiving of mistakes.  Odds are you will be spending a fair amount of time in the water.  Of course, even if you dump the boat, it will probably cost you no more than a swim and bailing time.

The bigger cabin sailboat, or even ballasted day sailors, are a different experience altogether.  I don't really think a decent 20-25 footer is really any harder to learn on than a dinghy.  It is highly unlikely you would ever capsize one.  Everything happens slower.  The ride is drier and more comfortable.  If you do run into something, though, it will likely be much more expensive than in a dinghy; so getting some help initially would not be a bad idea, especially in crowded waters.  On going costs will likely be a lot higher (although, oddly, the initial purchase might not be).

I would suggest you look at the kind of boat you WANT to sail.  If cruising is your goal, getting a good 20-25 footer would make sense.  If just spending time on the water is what you are looking for, almost anything will do.  If you like the thought of racing, see what kind of local one design fleets (if any) there are (dinghy or keel boat) and go that way.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Shawn T W.

Eventually . . .I hope to cruise . . . and cruise, and maybe just not come back, but  . . . for now I need to learn more about sailing, and get a few years of experience . . .

I need a boat that will keep me some what dry, and the idea of having a space to utilize a port a potty is very disireable (Happy Wife - Happy Life!) I don't need fast, stable is more important, to start out on I'll be going on lakes and reservoirs, but eventually I'll need to practice in the ocean! I also need a boat that can be relative easy to launch off a trailer, so something with little draft (as I can't push it too far in with my 2wd Sonoma P/U, well . . . at least and get the truck back out!)

Thanks for all the input!

I'm still keeping an eye on CL & ebay.

Shawn

Godot

Maybe something along the lines of a West Wight Potter?

If you aren't already, it might not be a bad idea to spend some time poking around the trailer sailor forum.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Shawn T W.

Thanks, I have poked around abit over at TSF But . . . there format is a pain to read (maybe I just don't know how to open everything up at one time!)

I need something easy to launch from a trailer, and I'm sure within the 1st time or two out I'll have the basics down, I was taking my turn helping my cousin with the lines, and tiller, near the end he was just telling me what to do (except he didn't trust me I guess, bringing it back into the slip! or maybe there were rules?)

Any ideas on how to find other sailors in the Tucson, AZ area? Do you know of any?

I am just currently looking for a deal, that is within reach of getting, not fussy if it is "X" brand, but open to decent models, whatever comes up on the market.

Shawn

CharlieJ

Go to the TSBB and post an intro- tell 'em who you are and where you are. There are several sailors over on TSBB who are in  Arizona.

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi

Good group of folks
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

dnice

shawn - http://www.tucsonsailingclub.com/

I personally am not too particular about the type of boat (daysailor/cruiser vs. dinghy) right now. But I am in a unique situation. I agree with what godot says about getting something similar to your ultimate goal.

I'll be living in the Cincinnati Area for about 2 years (for a job) and in that time, as long as I can tow it/launch it with my car, I don't care what it is, just anything that sails and will get me out on the water on the weekends. so a dinghy is fine for me for my first boat, but I would certainly go for a 20something foot cruiser if it works out that way.

It sounds to me like you want a trailerable cruiser or daysailor type of boat.. I think you'll find that your criteria will limit your options enough so that you won't have a big decision to make. The trick is to lay out your criteria.

IE:
Fits your budget
is close enough for you to pick up
Trailerable (centerboard or swingkeel)
Includes trailer!
also includes the stuff you don't want to spend money on (like an outboard, sails, no damage, etc...)

If you do end up finding more than one that fits your needs, then you can decide based on recent maintenance and upgrades, how it looks, and whatever else.

edited (I thought that was in AZ not AR :/ )

anyway, happy searching.

Shawn T W.

Yeah, I'm in AZ (Arizona) Thanks for the Tucson link!

OK, I'll join the TSBB too!

Shawn

Shawn T W.

I went out last Sat on a Catalina 22, What fun! I think I would like something a tad smaller, and I just found a Capital Yachts Neptune 16' for sale, but can't find alot of info on them . . . whats your opinion of this little boat? Good . . . bad?

It will be my first boat, I probably would not keep it for more than 5 years . . .

Thanks,

Shawn

sailorflo

http://www.capitalyachts.info/neptune16/N16_Brochure.pdf     Hope that this site will help you out. You said a 22 catalina was to big so I asummed that a 16 would be just right for you.   Good luck on your sailing Hope you have a great time
Flo / Marty, Got Milk and Shark Bait Tartan 37 #369

dnice

1982 Neptune 16' Sailboat & Trailer - CA on eaby

Here is one on ebay, maybe just for comparisons sake.

anyway, looks like a good choice good luck!

(Edit to make link fit without scrolling)

Lost Lake

That's a cute little boat!! And from a charity, she'll go cheap. That would be a perfect one to plop in my little lake....