News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Startin out!

Started by Shawn T W., August 19, 2008, 02:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn T W.

Thanks for the link, I found that, but there is not much other info out there, I found somemore though from someone over at trailersailor . . .

Yes that is the one I'm looking at, on Ebay, up near the Bay . . . long trip from AZ, but . . . if the price is right (climbed quite a bit today!) . . . I may take a road trip!

Shawn

dnice

Shawn -

For comparison - This one on CL

Can't find very many others.. Which to me means its either rare enough that people are keeping them and not selling them, or maybe their just wasn't many made... I don't know.

but based on the little bit I have seen.. If you can get it for under $1000 I would call it a deal.

I say that mostly because,
A: thats pretty cheap for a trailerable weekender (of any sort).
B: it looks like a 'nice' boat,
C:it has everything you need (trailer, sails, motor....)

On top of all that, according to you, (D:) its not too far for you to pick up..

That one on CL doesn't show half of the equipment as the one on ebay does and its listing at $1100

I say go for it!

(edit) Thats assuming $1000 is within your budget, don't forget to add to the cost, gas money to pick it up, insurance (you need it on the road even if not for the boat itself). Registration (sales tax?) and that $149.99 'fee' is added to the end of the auction.

From what I have seen boatangels charity is reputable and fine to deal with. its just a matter of buying the boat unseen.

Shawn T W.

What I have found out is that the Neptune is a "descendant" from the Gloucester from Virginia, there were over 1500 made if I remember right.

I live only about 960 miles from the boat! I'm gonna look into what I need to register it for the ride home .  .  . to AZ. The boat in TX on cl is not much farther! Just hard to find what I want out here in the desert of Arizona!

If it is cheap (Under $500 my idea of "cheap") it will be a "deal" figuring in transporting it back home, I get about 28 - 30 mpg while empty, won't get more than 25 towing the trailer . . . more like 20 mpg though, that little 2.2 ltr four works hard up the hills . . . I dragged a 5X10 utility trailer loaded over 6' high with a 32' ladder strapped on top out from VT when I moved, (about 2500 pounds) plus my pickup was overloaded . . .I usually got 12 - 15 mpg! Third gear was my friend on the up hills, and usually kept it down to 55mph.

I'm comfortable with buying it "unseen" as Boat Angels requires pictures to be less than 2 weeks old, and if I get there and don't want it . . . they will give me my money back! But . . . I still have the 2.5 day trip to pay for!

Thanx for the encouragement,

Shawn

Shawn T W.

Well . . . the boat has gone out of my price range ($1200 total) So . . . if anybody knows of anything in that range down in my neck of the desert, let me know PLEASE!

I like the idea of small (16' - 18') as I'm not sure how much more my little 2wd 2.2l 4 cyl truck will be able to pull up out of a ramp. . . .

Thanks,

Shawn