News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Running Rigging

Started by Publius, September 01, 2008, 03:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publius

I just got a 26ft clipper marine. I am entirely new to sailing and the boat needs a lot of work. Among other things it is also in need of "running rigging".

What is "running rigging", and how do I determine what rigging to use, ie, material of rigging, length, diameter, or anything else that may apply? Does this apply to the halyards as well?

Any other advice on rigging or anything else would be great.

Thanks

- I hope this is in the right forum.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous seas of liberty" Thomas Jefferson

AdriftAtSea

Running rigging is generally all the lines that help the sailboat move—sail control lines like... halyards, sheets, outhauls, cunninghams, boom vangs, topping lifts, etc.

Most smaller boats use a polyester (dacron) double braid of some sort, like Sta-Set from New England Ropes for most of their lines.  While the strength requirement may vary a bit, depending on the size of the boat, one thing to consider is how the lines are used and handled.  You may want to go with slightly large lines for the lines that you handle on a regular basis, like the sheets... since a larger line is easier on the hands. 

My guess would be that a 26' LOA monohull would need lines about 5/16-3/8" in diameter or so, mainly depending on what you find comfortable to handle.

As for length, it depends on how the boat is rigged. 

A general rule for jibs is 1.5x the LOA, unless the headsail is large oversized genoa, in which case you might want to go 2x the LOA. 

The mainsheet's length really depends on how the boat is rigged.  If the boat is rigged with an end-boom 4:1 main sheet, the recommendation is usually 5.6-6x boom length.  For an end-boom 6:1 main sheet, the recommendation is 8.4-9x boom length.  For mid boom it is 4.3-5x boom length for 4:1 and 5.7-6.5x for 6:1.

For halyards, topping lifts, etc, it depends on the mast height and whether you're planning on leading the lines back to the cockpit.  If you have a 30' mast and are leading the lines aft to the cockpit, you might want to have the halyards 70-75' or so.  If they're terminated on the mast itself, you're probably closer to 60' or so.

What might be a good idea is to look at a site that sells packages for boats about the size of yours, and see what they have listed as recommendations. 

For instance, Cajun Trading recommends the following for a C&C 26:

Quote*  Main halyard – 3/8" XLE
      Headboard shackle
      white w/ red flecks
    * Jib halyard - 3/8" XLE
      SS swivel snap shackle
      white w/ blue flecks
    * Spinnaker halyard – 3/8" XLE
      SS swivel snap shackle
      white w/ green flecks
    * Topping lift – 1/4" XLE
      SS swivel snap shackle
      white w/ red & blue flecks
    * Main sheet - 3/8" XLE
      Whipped ends
      red w/ white flecks
    * Jib sheet – (2) 1/2" XLE
      Whipped ends
      Blue w/ white flecks
    * Spinnaker sheets – (2) 3/8" XLE
      Whipped ends
      1- red w/ white flecks
      3- green w/ white flecks
    * Pole lift – 3/8" XLE
      Heat sealed ends
      Black w/ white flecks
    * Foreguy – 3/8" XLE
      Heat sealed ends
      Black w/ white flecks

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Leroy - Gulf 29

A couple things - first go to the trailer sailor bulletin board to the Clipper Marine section.  The people there are very helpful and many have the CM26.  You should be able to score on a copy of the owners manual.  I have a copy I can e-mail you if you wish it - My e-mail is lebeeby at yahoo dot com.  The manual's are pretty generic, but there are specs on the 26 that may be handy.   The 26 has some rather unique quirks - a false bilge among them.  All in all, nice boats though.  Not ocean boats, but good ones to learn on.  I have a CM23 twin keel.  FWIW, I am running stay set for the running rigging on the CM - it was easy to convert the sheaves at the masthead to take the 5/16" - I think for the 26, I'd go with 5/16 stayset X for the halyards - less stretch and fairly easy to handle.  I'm going down to 1/4" X for the halyards.  The jib sheets IIRC are 3/8", primarily because its easier on the hands.  THis is an excellent board here, and so are the TSBB boards.

Publius

wow okay thanks a lot, ill shoot you an email for the manual.  also thanks for the post with the sample list.   so do you think it possible for me to convert this un seaworthy boat into one that would be good for coastal long distance sailing like up and down the east coast ex: philadelphia to boston, or new jersey to florida?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous seas of liberty" Thomas Jefferson

AdriftAtSea

Might be worth looking at some of the modifications that have been made to other boats, and see how many of them are feasible on yours.  John Vigor wrote a book that has an appendix that lists the changes that were made to one boat to make it bluewater capable, but I don't recall the title of it ATM.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

oded kishony

AdriftAtSea

Oded-

Good book... I'd second it and add Bill Seifert's book:  LINK
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Lynx

Ocean vrs coastal boats. After study, go out to a marina and look and compair the proven Ocean boats vrs yours.
MacGregor 26M

Norm

If you can swing it... go for color coding.  It really helps when sailing with non sailors.

"Hold the red line..."

Buy good line.  It lasts a long time, especially if you wash it with fresh water often.  For boats with dacron sails that do not race there is no reason to get more technical than NE Rope Stay-set X.  The nicest running sheets I ever used are Regatta Poly Single Braid, soft and flexible, non-kinking.  Easy to splice, too.

keep us posted
AVERISERA
Boston, MA
USA 264