News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

structural bimini

Started by bertsev, September 08, 2008, 06:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bertsev

Any thoughts on adding a structural biminin support that would also integrate the split backstays and the traveler in order to free up some room in the cockpit?  For a Precision 28.  Thanks

Lynx

MacGregor 26M

polecat

I think it is a great idea, I designed one for my H23 and was gathering components to build it when I found my Renegade.  I got the idea from an add in some sailing magazine showing one on a newly built boat.  I built a jury rig out of conduit and found out the following: The traveler had to be about 8" below the end of the mid sheeted boom or it would pop up & down.  The force required to pull the boom in was about a third of what it took to hold the boom down.  I had decided to get a boom kicker and a larger boom vang to make it work easier on the 23.  I'd suggest that you try it out by moving your mainsheet to the end of the boom.  To afix the mainsheet back there you can just tie a line from port to stbd cleat to cleat with a loop in the middle.  I also wouldn't try this without a boom vang.  Please let me know how yours works out
jim

s/v Faith

I think it is a great idea too.  I don't know about James idea of integrating it into the stern pulpit (push pit if you prefer).... while the Flicka and IIRC the Dana do that, I don't know if the traveler loads would agree with your stern pulpit. Notr to mention the angle would block the main sheet travel if there were any crew in the cockpit..  :o

Something to consider might be a boom gallows.  You could place it under the end of the boom, and , and mount a regular traveler on the aft facing side of it with the bimini attachment points on the front edge.  That would amintain the original sheeting angle, as well as making the traveler more effective.

Here is a picture for sake of the discussion (hope this is this is the same configuration)

As for the mid boom sheeting, it seems from the picture that the load is already at the end of the boom (is your main loose footed?).  I think boom gallows are cool, and would love to figure out how to make one work aboard Faith (her lines aft don't seem to agree with one IMHO).

The gallows would seem to solve a few problems for you, not to mention a great place to hold the boom in heavy wx... and a sturdy hand hold to boot.

Good luck!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.