cheap, not particularly healthy, but delicious...

Started by vinegarj, September 24, 2008, 11:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinegarj

just made this two nites ago on the boat.
from the dollar store i bought a couple of eight ounce canned hams (at a dollar a piece, of course).  for side dishes, a 3.5 ounce package of Hungry Jack brand instant mash potatoes and a can of green beans (both items also under a dollar).
fry one canned ham up in a skillet (it's precooked, but not very appetizing until heated up) and slice it up.  meanwhile boil two cups of water.
mix the water and the instant mash potatoes, then heat up the green beans (or whatever veggie you like).
for about a two and a half bucks and ten minutes max you've got a very filling, easy, and hot meal for two.  was actually quite tasty.   add wine and it becomes a gourmet adventure.   (wish i'd bought more of the canned hams).

Shawn T W.

Well . . . at least you know what brand you will look for next time your in the store. find some fruit for dessert, and you will be all set! How did you forget about desert?  ;D

Another real cheap meal is white rice (once it is boiling just turn it off and let it sit with the cover on) Then when it is done, add some "Ranch Style" beans on top of it. about $1.50 for 2 people (not including cooking expense) We eat it every week or two . . .

Shawn

CharlieJ

We've found the Idahoan brand instant mashed potatoes to be our favorite. Has the best flavor in our opinion of any of them.

I'll look in the Dollar store next I'm in there for sure.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Quote from: CharlieJ on September 26, 2008, 09:54:59 AM
We've found the Idahoan brand instant mashed potatoes to be our favorite. Has the best flavor in our opinion of any of them.

Yep! Them's my favorite also. Add a little foil pack of chicken, makes a great 2 minute, low fuel main course. We primarily used canned vegetables for the sides. This time out for two weeks we needed no refrigeration at all. Small boxes of ultra pasteurized milk for morning oatmeal and canned juices that kept plenty cool enough in the bilge.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

David_Old_Jersey

Tomato Soup (Tin or packet!). Pasta shapes. and topped with grated cheddar.

Not sure how many vitamins and good stuff are in that lot - but yum yum (for me!) and easy to prepare!.......often served for 1 in the soup pan to save on washing up!

Hope their are no Italians reading this  ;D

Ooops, nearly forgot! - I also add whatever is to hand into the soup - Black pepper / Garlic / Mustard / Lee & Perrins (or whatever!).

Lynx

Heat up a few onions before adding soup and add some instant creamer. A few bacon bits. I always have tomato soup on board.
MacGregor 26M

s/v Faith

Quote from: David_Old_Jersey on September 27, 2008, 06:02:06 PM
Tomato Soup (Tin or packet!). Pasta shapes. and topped with grated cheddar......

Hope their are no Italians reading this  ;D

Twenty years ago when Rose and I met we were living in in Sicily.  We ate lunch at a restaurant in Palermo.... not a really expensive place, but better then a bar.  We both would usually order random dishes and share them.  We both thought her lunch tasted exactly like instant tomato soup and pasta....    and it did not even have the grated cheddar on top!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

vinegarj

fwiw.....walgreen's (that great source of healthy food:>) has 12 ounce canned hams and 12 ounce cans of roast beef for $1.99.  would be interesting to compare these to the expensive canned meats sold on line.