Another Circumnavigator - Natasza Caban

Started by dnice, October 01, 2008, 12:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

QuoteShe's going for the record of Youngest Female Solo Circumnav.
Whether she makes it or not, she gets my vote for the Cutest Attempt  Wink

She's certainly cute... but IMHO, Tania Aebi should have been granted the record for her circumnavigation... she was disqualified because she gave a non-sailor a ride for 80 NM of her circumnavigation.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

Plus Tania went back and re-sailed that part anyway.

She definitely got shafted out of the record.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

I had forgotten that Tania went back and re-did that segment... you're right... she got screwed.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

chris2998

dnice

I haven't read tania's book yet, but from what I gather on teh intarweb...
Except for a few record-book-judge-type-o-people, the entire world recognizes her as the youngest female solo circumnavigator.(she was like 20??)

So I guess even if Natasza makes it, she's got a pretty tough crowd to please with the feat.

I can only think of Moitessier saying something like 'if you are doing this for the fame or glory, you will fail'.
(something like that anyway!)

anyway, record or not, cute or not, she is sailing around the world by herself. Grog to her for that!. I just hope she finds her way (and I have no doubt that she will) no matter what her initial motives or driving force was that got her going.

Manannan

were is she, were are you ? Yes she is Polish, there are tough, not dumb. be a little bit tolerant, please
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

AdriftAtSea

manannan-

We're all rooting for Natasza... and hope she succeeds... It would be more promising if she took her safety a bit more seriously than what is seen in that video, since she seems to be more interested in posturing for the camera than sailing the boat safely.  In the video, she's got some pretty serious bruises that probably could have been avoided...and if she keeps doing whatever she was doing to get them, the chance of her getting pretty badly injured is pretty high.  There is no doctor or emergency room on the open ocean...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

nick

Off topic, but I just saw Natasza listed me as 'Someone crazier than herself' in her links section

http://www.nataszacaban.com/Strony_ktore_odwiedzam.html

heh ;)

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

tdsail

well...a lot of criticism, but she's out there doing it...safety or not i'm sure she has enough miles under her keel to realise certain safety aspects....that was a video and being a woman she's posing but i'm sure she wouldnt do it in dangerous conditions...anyway good on her for giving a circumnav a go!!

s/v Faith

Quote from: Manannan on October 17, 2008, 03:47:17 PM
were is she, were are you ? Yes she is Polish, there are tough, not dumb. be a little bit tolerant, please

Where is she>?  Where are you>?  Excellent Questions.  Grog to you.

Always easier to criticize from the comfort of your arm chair.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

dnice

Well, I haven't been keeping up with Natasza very much... but a recent blog entry (jan 10) from Zac's website (regarding the loss of Marta's boat), sent me back to check up on her.

I have to say, I am impressed.

She has been updating her blog daily, and her writing is quite nice.
I read (sporadically) the past 2 months... She has been quite the trooper. She is a very 'girly' girl, yet in the midst of an accomplishment most men can only dream of... Kinda reminds me of Tania Aebi, but completely different personality and perspective. She is very up-beat and keeps a great attitude throughout her struggles.
She has definately proven herself as a sailor, managing her way through storms, lulls, collisions (yeah, she 'bumped' into a drifting trawler!) and all the usual knottiness you expect to find when reading a sail blog.
She speaks a lot of boredom, it is obviously brooding creativity in her life at sea, which makes for some fairly fun reading...

Anyway, I am now inclined to go back and read through her entire blog. It's a very nice change of pace from reading the usual suspects blogs.