News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

inner forestay

Started by petelesperance, October 18, 2008, 08:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petelesperance

Hi everyone, im new here and have bought my first boat and have a question. originally the boat had an inner forestay, however the core of the foredeck was replaced and the fittings were removed. i would like to put the inner forestay back in and have a question because its a peculiar set up. a stay runs from the stem of the boat to the foredeck on its underside. from the topside the stay runs to midmast. Im assuming the two are in a straight line, and for mounting the eyes in which to attach the stays ive a question concerning their orientation so as to minimise deck torque.

and here is the boat. its crossed the atlantic twice

Frank

Sure looks like a Shark with a bit added to the stern and a modified keel.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

Welcome to Sailfar.net. 

It would help if you posted a photo of the parts in question.  Ideally, it should be a single fitting that goes through the deck, but it appears that what you've got is two separate fittings, and they may work, but it won't be ideal, since the transfer of force will be relying on the fasteners connecting the two fittings, and is more likely to fail than single fitting passing through the deck.

Also, make sure that the fitting that is attached to the hull is properly backed and secured so that it transfers the loads to the hull without causing point loading.

Quote from: petelesperance on October 18, 2008, 08:26:02 PM
Hi everyone, im new here and have bought my first boat and have a question. originally the boat had an inner forestay, however the core of the foredeck was replaced and the fittings were removed. i would like to put the inner forestay back in and have a question because its a peculiar set up. a stay runs from the stem of the boat to the foredeck on its underside. from the topside the stay runs to midmast. Im assuming the two are in a straight line, and for mounting the eyes in which to attach the stays ive a question concerning their orientation so as to minimise deck torque.

and here is the boat. its crossed the atlantic twice

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

skylark

The shrouds are not in line so the forces will not be canceled out.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

AdriftAtSea

Skylark-

It is hard to say without seeing an actual photograph of the actual hardware.  :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more