Fastening heavy items to liner?

Started by Bill NH, November 23, 2008, 08:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill NH

What is the preferred method of mounting something to the liner in a location where one doesn't have access to the back side?  Thankfully I've made it through the more critical items on the work list and now have several items to install or relocate belowdecks.

Small lightweight items like a VHF I can use self-tapping screws (like sheet metal screws) to attach the base to the liner, but on the other end of the spectrum I have a SeaSwing stove to install just to starboard of the companionway above the icebox.  This will be quite heavier, especially with a full pot of water on it - I can't see just screwing it into the thin liner. 

One possibility would be to cut a hole in the liner and epoxy a substantial hardwood block directly to the inside (back) of the cabin which is alot thicker and stronger than the lining.  I'd then have a solid substrate to attach the stove with longer screws, or even SS machine screws right through as there will no longer be a void, leaving the heads and trim washers on the outside of the cabin.

Similarly, I could epoxy a block to the inside of the liner and just use screws.  Through-bolting wouldn't be an option though as I'd worry about compressing and cracking the liner because of the void space.  This might be an option for smaller items that one is unconfortable mounting just into the thin liner though...

Any way to fill the void in just that area (injecting very thick epoxy through a couple of holes drilled in the liner?) to fill the gap and support throughbolting without removing a chunk of the liner? 

How about bonding the stove base directly to the liner in addition to screws into the liner?  Would that be strong enough?  If so, what would the recommended adhesive be, realizing that at some point a future owner might not want the stove bracket there?

Comments and/or suggestions?
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

AdriftAtSea

I think cutting a whole and installing a wooden block is your best bet.  :) You could even pre-drill holes and install T-nuts in the block, so you wouldn't have to use screws.  That way the screws could be easily removed, but would have a very solid grip...better than just wood screws IMHO. I did something similar to fasten down the batteries and the inverter in my boat.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Capt. Tony

Bill
Is there nowhere else in the cabin you could mount the seaswing?  The reason I ask is your statement regarding the weght of a full pot of water on it.  Couple with that the fact most pull out the seaswings and similar cookers when conditions get rough.  Not a good time to have hot anything flying around below!  Secure through bolting would be ideal.  Next, I'd opt for your glued block idea.  The T-nut suggestion by AdriftAtSea is a good addition.  Adhereing a block could be done with epoxy or something as tenacious as 3M's 5200.

Your lighter items attached to the liner with sm screws may weigh more than one would think when seas get rough.  You may consider backing out those screws and back filling the immediate area with thickened epoxy.  Once it cures you could either thread the holes with a tap for machine screws or redrill them slightly undersized for sm screws again.  While machine screws have more surface area to hold with, arguably sm screws would be sufficient when sunk into an epoxy 'block'.

Just something to consider.

CharlieJ

I agree with that. A Seaswing with a pot of stew, etc, is NOT light. The block epoxied in would be the best way IMHO.

I don't particularly like liners by the way.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Unfortunately, liners and such are a fact of life on many newer boats.  It is often easier and less expensive to build them using extensive hull liners that to add stringers and floors to stiffen the hull.  The liners are a royal PITA, since they can really limit proper access to the hull, as they do in my boat.... and can make hardware and wiring installations much more difficult.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more