News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Anybody sailing today?

Started by skylark, December 12, 2008, 01:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylark

How about it, sailFarers in warm climates?  We are frozen up here and hearing nothing but bad news.  How about some stories and pics from sunny places?
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

Well, let's see. It was 32 here this morning, folks over towards Louisiana had snow, where Ike did HIS damage, so those who are still living in tents are REALLY hurting.

Laura went to have a tooth filled yesterday  AM and then spent several hours cleaning the inside of the boat -  aftermath of haul-out and bottom job. HARD to keep everything clean.

And thus endth our weekend- tomorrow it's back to work ;)

That's about it from the Texas coast ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Joe Pyrat

It was in the 60s here in Charleston SC today, a bit colder then it has been, but it is suppose to be in the 70s by Monday.  I got out the folding bike and rode down to The Tavern, a liquor store which has been involved in the sale of spirits since around 1640 and chatted with the owner, Gary, and ex-Merchant Marine sailor who is a wealth of historical information about the area.  Gary showed me some of the old buildings near by including the old Dockmasters office which has a lookout room on top where an old retired seaman would sit with a large spyglass and sight ships involved.  He could recognize the ship and would raise a flag indicating which ship or shipping company it was, then ring a bell to let alert the local merchants who would see the flag, be able to recognize if it was a ship carrying their goods  having about two hours then to round up their dock crew and get to the dock as the ship tied up.
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

skylark

Quote from: CharlieJ on December 12, 2008, 05:04:06 PM
Well, let's see. It was 32 here this morning, folks over towards Louisiana had snow, where Ike did HIS damage, so those who are still living in tents are REALLY hurting.

Laura went to have a tooth filled yesterday  AM and then spent several hours cleaning the inside of the boat -  aftermath of haul-out and bottom job. HARD to keep everything clean.

And thus endth our weekend- tomorrow it's back to work ;)

That's about it from the Texas coast ;D

So much for my theory that down south its just summertime and the livin is easy!

Charlie, you and Laura are very hard workers, I will lift a glass when you untie the docklines for your next cruise.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

mrb

Been sailing in Arkansas, About one day a week.  Today no wind so motor with sails up looking for wind, lots of good wildlife(birds) but no wind.  Three previous sails with only main up and nice waves and frozen fingers but a blast.

Fair winds

CapnK

Allen - While you in Charleston, see if you can find yourself a bottle or two of "Firefly" brand vodka. It is infused with tea from the only tea plantation in the US (down on Wadmalaw Island). A splash on some rocks, add water at about a 3:1 ratio, and you have a lightly sweetened tea with a kick. :) Great summer evening boat drink.

Had plans to go sailing with a client on their 36' Islander this week, but the broken foot put a kibosh on that until some time in January...  :-\ Same with my St. Augustine trip - holding off on that until I don't have to gimp around in this big plastic boot. But I'll take my brothers stinkpot out tomorrow for a little while, and try to snap some pics of liquid (if a bit cool...) water for you, Paul. ;)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

skylark

We are looking for a place to visit over the Christmas break and get out of this permasnowstorm.

Anybody know if you can drive all the way to Cape Hatteras? or was it washed away by a hurricane?
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CapnK

Paul - You can drive to Hatteras, through Kitty Hawk/Nags Head. Or get there from the west on the ferry from Cedar Island, after visiting Oriental and Beaufort (if you want to stop in at some very sailboat-oriented places).
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Joe Pyrat

CapnK,

I saw some of that stuff today and almost bought a bottle.  I'll pick some up on Monday and give it a try.  I've heard it is a local favorite.  I'm trying to hunt down a bottle of El Dorado 15 rum, I've heard it is excellent.  Hope to have some aboard by the time you visit.
Joe Pyrat

skylark

Quote from: CapnK on December 13, 2008, 03:22:07 PM
Paul - You can drive to Hatteras, through Kitty Hawk/Nags Head. Or get there from the west on the ferry from Cedar Island, after visiting Oriental and Beaufort (if you want to stop in at some very sailboat-oriented places).

If we did a loop from Nag's Head down to the cape and then took the ferry, Would those be the best places to stop as a place to walk around or for overnight? From a tourist point of view.  Might stay on the cape as well, if there is anything open.  Sometimes we camp out in the van for a night or two.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CapnK

If it were me, I would go the Oriental -> Beaufort -> Hatteras -> Kitty Hawk route. Once you get there, you might want to stay longer than you thought in Oriental and/or Beaufort looking at boats/dockwalking, etc... Very small roads in the middle of nowhere to get to the ferry - get a map! :) The ferry is 2.5-3 hrs IIRC, and scenic. It drops you on Ocracoke Island, which you might want to look into as a stop for a night - very out of the way, not built up, pretty place. Another short ferry - 30 mins - then takes you on to Hatteras Island. There are some small hotels in Hatteras, prolly some Bed-n-Breakfast type places too. Been a while since I was there, I can only imagine that it has grown. There is at least one campground there, but this time of year it might be really cold and windy, so an indoors bed is a good option to have. I have never played tourist in Kitty Hawk, but I know they have a museum up there re: the Wright Bro's. Y'all will have a good time. Be careful if you decide to go for a swim, the waves in Hatteras can get big. ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

Hey, what are we, chopped liver?

If you are in the area, stop by New Bern, fcol.  GREAT sailing town if a bit off the beaten path, just upriver from Oriental.

Washington IS cool, but this time of year, much is closed.  Ditto Beaufort, at least from what we have seen recently.  In Beaufort, the food at Clawson's cannot be beat (really good), but it is VERY pricey.

Went to Nag's Head a few weeks ago...a bit built up/touristy for me (personally).  One strip mall looks like pretty much any other throughout the land of the free.  Just sayin...I was a bit disappointed.

Back on topic for the thread...we DID go sailing today.  Out for about three and a half hours.  It's so nice to untie the dock lines.  Sailed down to Northwest Creek, sailed/motorsailed back.

Beautiful day, though a bit chilly in the low fifties.

Perhaps the highlight?  Running out of gasoline coming into the marina.  Let's just say the A-30 holds her way-on well, especially with light air pushing occasionally from astern.  Made it to the slip with way to spare, and did not hit anything.   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Joe Pyrat

Second Oriental.  Either get to the free City docks or slip #1 at the marina next to the City docks.  You get WiFi from The Bean, the coffee shop across the street, or you can go sit in the window seat at The Bean and just watch the world go by while surfing and having coffee.  M&Ms in Oriental has the best ribs I've had in a long time.  Definitely two thumbs up for Oriental!

Beaufort was fun.  When I was there they had huge sales on everything, T-shirts, flip-flops, etc. but the museum was kind of disappointing, although they did have some great Don Maitz paintings on display.
Joe Pyrat

skylark

We live in a tourist harbortown so I prefer off season, had enough tourists thanks.

We are going to look at the weather on Christmas Day and decide if we are going anywhere.  Follow the sun.  If there is a chance at sunshine down that way, we may fire up the Mystery Machine.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Frank

Looked out back at the river where my docks were.....nope....I won't be sailing today  :'(
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Grime

Beautiful day here temp 75 with wind gusts 32mph. No sailing for me. Motor stolen off my boat so I can't get out of the marina even if it was a calm day.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CapnK

Quote from: Frank on December 14, 2008, 02:01:32 PM
   Looked out back at the river where my docks were.....nope....I won't be sailing today  :'(

Wimp.

I thought Canadians were used to the cold???

;)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Kurt...ya have an ice boat I can borrow?? ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Pappy Jack

Kurt,

They don't get used to the cold... they just get sooo numb they don't care any more ::) :-* 8).

Warm winds,

Pappy Jack

Pappy Jack

Hey Kurt,

Here is a video of some smarter (at least smarter than us) Canadians that made the BIG LEAP :o :-* ;D.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFrhpMhT3jQ

Warm winds,

Pappy Jack