Oars, outboards, or.... row, row, row your boat!

Started by Zen, January 13, 2006, 10:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OptiMystic

Capn' K - I think it is from a Laser, but I am not sure. It was around 20' as I have 2 pieces that are each around 10'. The bottom piece  has damage around the base and the top piece snapped off above the joint to the bottom (my buddy is pretty agressive when racing dinghies).

Adam - I absolutely hated my last motor and it seemed to feel the same way about me. I am not sure which of us started it. I avoided using it, so it wasn't that surprising that the times I was forced into trying that the gas in the lines had turned to sludge.

CJ - Do you have an anchor mounted so it can be deployed from near the center of the boat? That's what I would really like to rig up more elegantly than just having it lying in a crate in the cockpit with a line to the bow that I try to keep outside the bow rail but out of the water.
-Andy

Disclaimer: I am not an experienced blue water sailor. My boat is not a blue water cruiser. So most of my knowledge is from research, discussion or sailing near shore and inshore. "Grain of salt" applies...

CharlieJ

well, I had a reply all typed in, then it told me the upload folder was full, try again and destroyed my post. I'll repost tomorrow morning.

What's with " the upload folder is full"???
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

That's odd, CJ, and I think Frank had a similar situation the other day? Or was that you? Anyway, I increased the size of the attachments folder, and also looked through it for anomalies. Found a few recent avatar files that were exceptionally large and/or had odd sizes, maybe they were/that was causing a glitch of some sort...

Let's see if it works properly now. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

OptiMystic

Does navigate back give you the text back on this site? I will use this post to test...

EDIT - Yes, it does. If you type in a post then from the next screen click the back button, it will bring yu back and give you the text back. If something is hosed and you can't post it, at least you can copy and paste to NotePad or something so you don't have to retype.
-Andy

Disclaimer: I am not an experienced blue water sailor. My boat is not a blue water cruiser. So most of my knowledge is from research, discussion or sailing near shore and inshore. "Grain of salt" applies...

Godot

For long posts I usually type them up in word or notepad or something since I often can't do them in one sitting anyway.  Cut and paste and no trouble.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Auspicious

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 25, 2008, 07:32:37 PM
Having an anchor ready to run at ALL times is a basic tenet of mine. I rig ALL my boats so at least one BIG anchor can be dropped almost instantly.

I definitely agree with the wisdom of having an anchor ready to go at all times *inshore*. If you keep your anchor on a roller you should lash it in place offshore (heading out on the Scoot for example).

Quote from: CapnK on July 25, 2008, 10:35:24 PM
This, along with the need/concern for having a spare rudder of some sort, means I'll put some thought into making a blade that I can attach to my spinnaker pole.

I've heard about doing this a number of times. I've also heard from one person who actually tried it who said it was a nightmare to manage and didn't steer very well. Since I have no first-hand knowledge either way I would suggest you go out and test it before counting on it.

I've locked my rudder a few times and tried steering with sail trim. It's pretty sloppy and stressful but works okay. I've never  been able to tack doing that.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

CharlieJ

OK- a retry-

On Tehani the anchor is in a roller on the bow, held back and down ( for now) with a chain hook on the snubber, cleated to a bow cleat. I'm looking for a chain lock to install for permanent by the way. Also looking for a proper chain stopper to drop the chain into while hauling in.

Offshore a lashing goes around the anchor and bow roller setup, and a plug goes into the deck pipe to stop water getting in..

I can go to the bow and rip out 50 or 60 feet of chain, cleat the chain to a bow cleat and dump that anchor in about 30 seconds. Less if I'm REALLY in a hurry.

On our little tri that we sailed in the Tex 200 I cleated the anchor rode, carried a goodly amount of rode back UNDER the cross arms and carried the anchor in the cockpit right next to the helm.

There was a fairly recent thread over on TSBB about anchoring from the cockpit ( with the rode attached to the bow) when single handed. I'll see if I can find that later today and post a link.

Here's a pic of Tehani's bow setup. Those are 10 inch cleats by the way- she came stock with a single 6 inch one.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Ah but- IF you get that message that says - "there has been an error- the upload folder is full" it won't LET you do things like that ;D

Once that error message appears, you are stuck cause you can't repost that, even if you change it. SO you at that point CAN"T paste it into word pad.

And as a certain bard once said- "and therein lies the rub" ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

OptiMystic

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 26, 2008, 12:04:35 PM
Ah but- IF you get that message that says - "there has been an error- the upload folder is full" it won't LET you do things like that ;D

Once that error message appears, you are stuck cause you can't repost that, even if you change it. SO you at that point CAN"T paste it into word pad.

And as a certain bard once said- "and therein lies the rub" ;D

I am not sure you understand. In IE (is that what you use?) when I click the back arrow to go to the previously viewed page,  it takes me back to the original composition page with the text there. If there was an error, then no, I can't submit it, but I can copy and paste it into somewhere else to hold it so I don't have to retype it. The behavior I see on web sites is that either that never works (some pages don't retain text because of the controls they use or some specific settings) or it always works. A lot of times it will work even if you aren't connected anymore (it's cached).  I only tested it here once and it wasn't after an error, but it did work; I went back to the composition screen and the text was there. So I assume that would always be the case, but I could be wrong.
-Andy

CharlieJ

Haven't used IE in years- we use Firefox. I'd have to look to see if IE was even still ON this computer ;D

Yes but IF you go back one more page to try something different, then try going forward, your message is lost. I should have saved it up front when I got the error, but I was in a rush and wanted to get to a new post message page.

And apparently the problem is solved since I was able to post. I think it was the picture, not the text, because the text wasn't that long.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

I've read of folks making do with cabinet doors, table tops, things like that, but their results were mostly less than stellar. Neal Petersen made do with a bucket. :) But it seems a more-proper and effective blade wouldn't be hard to stow, and could come in real handy.

I've got a blade of sorts I made for my last boat, a set of NACA foiled, foam core sammich construction pieces. Intended to be one for each side of a plate metal rudder. Might be able to fashion something out of that which would do the trick...

And you can bet I'd test it out beforehand. That'd be fun. :) And teach some stuff that'd be handy to know about if the time came for it to be put to use...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Auspicious

Quote from: CapnK on July 27, 2008, 01:54:36 AM
Neal Petersen made do with a bucket.

I've done the bucket thing on a Capri 22. It worked pretty well. I haven't tried it on Auspicious yet.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.