News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Electric Trolling Motor

Started by Pablo, January 02, 2009, 11:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo

The lake I sail on is quite weeding.  Many years by August the weeds are actually growing out of the water.  I have to sail through these weeds to get to the "open" water and it can be quite a task.  On a light air day I might as well forget about it as I won't have enough power to plow through the foliage.  If I sail with the centerboard up I run the risk of being laid up on the lee shore.   

So I have been thinking. The Javelin isn't a big boat but I could easily mount a batter up in the cuddy and mount a small electric trolling motor on the back.  The problem with the motor is that I only need and want about a 12" shaft.  Otherwise it will get in the way of the tiller or boom or me.  I haven't found one yet but I believe I can cut down the shaft and make a custom motor.   I would rather not make the investment only to find out that I am wrong.  I hope that make some of you here may have some insight on the matter. 

An added benefit is that I could add nav lights and enjoy a sunset sail without worry about getting aback to the pier before lights out.   :)
Paul

Amgine

Have you thought about a canoe paddle or a pair of oars? cheaper/simpler usually means you're sailing faster/more.

Pablo

The canoe paddle is how I do it now.
Paul

dnice

I don't know anything about cutting down the shaft... but I don't see why it wouldn't work, I have seen elec. trollers go for extremely cheap in local pawn shops... it may be worth experimenting with if you can find one cheap enough...just a thought.

I wonder if it will be better than rowing though...I would think fitting it with oars, would be much easier to power/maneuver than the canoe paddle.
If the weeds are that bad, arent they going to get caught up in the prop?
I guess with the 12" shaft you can select your route to get above/around them pretty well...

You also would need to consider battery charging. The only way you'll have to charge it will be to remove it and charge it home. also, how will you know when it needs to be charged? or would you just plan on charging it after every time you go out?. Probably not a big deal... but something to consider anyway.

Sailing at night may be worth the battery alone....

Pablo

Sailing at night would be a huge benefit, as the lake empties out pretty quickly.  But with that, the wind tends to die down as well. If I am halfway across the lake, rowing would be old in a hurry. 

I will have to check some pawn shops.  I am almost certain that the shaft is hollow with the wires leading to the motor and the drive is up in the control. 
Paul