News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Tacktick package

Started by nowell, January 05, 2009, 01:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nowell

Hey all. Has anyone used/seen/have info on the TackTick instrument suite. Specifically:

http://mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TACT104&Category_Code=TACKMICRO

Adrift, I read your thread, but I think your using a different version? Im wondering how well the solar driven guages work. I like the wireless idea (which isn't all that new).

Anyway, before pulling the trigger, I would like some info if anyone has it. Im continuing to scour the internet for product reviews, but trust people here more than some sponsored reviews.

Thanks!

Nowell 
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

s/v Faith

Nowell,

That sure looks like the Cadillac of indicator systems.  I notice it carries a suggested retail of about 3 months of cruising on a small boat.

If I could make a suggestion, maybe you could evaluate your need for so much digital information.

I respect everyone's opinion / position on this, but for myself I have found that most of what I have is unnecessary.

Faith's current instrumentation is a depth sounder, bulkhead mounted speed sensor (original to the boat) and a windex.

The depth sounder is a nice thing to have, but the speed sensor (original to the boat) is more trivia then anything.  I find my guesses are usually within 1/2 a knot of the speed indicated.  With the rounding off that I do on a DR plot my estimate is more then adequate.

I don't use the windex much, but would replace it if it broke.

My uniden 206 depth sounder was ~$200, and the windex (IIRC) is ~$50.  More then adequate info for ~10% of the cost of the tacktic.

Again, another guys opinion.  You might take a look at this thread to see others.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

nowell

Thanks Faith. For the extensive cruising I have planned (and the fact im a bit of a gadget guy at heart) I don't mind the extra price tag. I really don't like the idea of wiring new instruments, or trying to re-wire some of my older instruments.

The key winners for this is the (mostly) solar power, easily expandable as technology advances.

I've mostly lived off my charts, compass, and hand held gps. (as none of my other instruments currently work).

No worries, I do live with the KISS principle (ie no tv, 1 folding lawn chair, and a folding table are all thats in my apartment, oh and a blow up mattress!).
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

CharlieJ

I read the price- YIKES!!! I can do a whole lot with that kind of money, besides tell how fast I'm going.

Faith- you are a couple up on us- we have the depth sounder, which often goes nuts, and a lead line, which ALWAYS works. I find that after we've been on the boat a while we can judge within about a half knot also.

I have no use for a windex- just gives me a crick in my neck- besides- you can feel the wind on your face. Laura certainly does.

If we were racing, sure- but for cruising, it looks to be something else to break and have to get repaired, someplace out in east B*mF**k Egypt

Personally I wouldn't spend the money, but that's MY opinion of course.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Hmm... The Less is more concept  ;D The Ariel will only have a digital sounder on it (not even going to bother with the fishfinder like I have on the Potter, I have an idea what the bottom looks like in most places I anchor)

If I can't figure out what the wind is doing by looking at the sails, it probably means there isn't any. ;)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

AdriftAtSea

No, that's the system I have on my boat, and they work great.  Mine are white, not grey though. :)

Having wireless instrument displays allowed me to mount the displays on a port that opens, which you can see below. The reason for mounting them on a port is that they can be used when sailing, but the port gives additional ventilation at anchor, and also allows someone in the cabin to pass a hot thermos of coffee up to the cockpit without opening the companionway in really crappy weather. :)

The instruments display more data than do some of the other brands—for instance, the wind instrument can be switched from a normal 360˚ mode to a close-hauled mode that only does 120˚—this would generally require an additional display from other vendors.  The instruments can also report what the DC voltage being fed to the hull transmitter is at, which gives you a rough idea of what your battery charge state is. 

The not having to wire the displays or the wind transducer makes installation a real snap. The hull transmitter and NMEA interface both require power, but have internal batteries as I found out and can power the speed and depth transducers for quite a while, even if the DC panel is totally shut down. 

Having a dodger and bimini on my boat makes looking at the masthead windex tough, and makes sensing the wind in the cockpit fairly unreliable as well. :)  But up here in New England, the dodger is really a necessity for early and late season sailing... and really helps keep the captain and crew dry when sailing in the snotty stuff.

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Dan,

I like your installation for the way the caps are protected from getting blown off in foul wx when in the slip / mooring too. 

Have you found any conditions where the port adds glare that makes reading your instruments less then ideal?  What does it look like at night?

AdriftAtSea

s/v Faith-

That was a side benefit... the caps don't come off accidentally—ever.. :)

As for glare, not an issue.  If we're sailing at night the cabin lights are usually off or red.  I have a small curtain that can drop across the port to block any glare from the cabin lights if needed, but that would cause serious glare problems through the companionway drop boards, which are tinted polycarb. :)

I was surprised at how much a 5"x12" port helps with cabin ventilation when at anchor.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Nowell,

My apologies, it seems as though I sidetracked your thread.

Does anyone else have any experience with the TackTick Package Nowell was asking about?