News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Racing your cruising boat.

Started by s/v Faith, January 14, 2006, 11:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Quick story that was my introduction to the mind of a sailboat racer.  At the time, we did not have a boat and my wife had never set foot on a small sailboat before.  We went to the Leukemia Society's Sail America event on a nearby lake to help the charity out as well as to get her on a boat to see if she would like it enough for us to make "the investment."

For those unfamiliar with the Sail America events, you basically show up and get on a boat.  Each skipper takes x number of people out for an hour and a half or so sail around the lake, where x depends on the boat and skipper.

I don't recall what kind of boat we were on, but it was something like a 28 or 30 footer.  Our skipper was THE racing skipper.  For eveny other boat we saw, he commented on how many minutes per mile he had to give them (obviously, his boat was the fastest around, so no one had to give him any minutes).  He never said anything good about any other boat (nice lines, good pointing, etc) and never said anything at all, pro or con, about any of the other skippers (presumably his friends in the club).

He explained the virtues of two speed winches on board, and let me crank in the genny for a close hauled leg.  As soon as I started turning the stinking winch handle, he started screaming at me to "not trim too much, you will ruin the sail."  In other words, he said trim the genny, then when I did, he made a big deal about spoiling the sail.

He refused to let us wave at power boaters, and claimed sailboaters don't wave at power boaters.  I thought this was stupid at the time, and still do (one of those power boaters might be providing assistance should one need it).  I wave at friendly people, whether they are sailing, motoring or rowing.

As we passed another boat, he yelled derisive comments to the skipper about boat speed.

So, in summary, my wife left that experience, her first on a sail boat, thinking sailors were jerks.  I had to convince her not all were like that.  All in all, he did not present a good first impression to sailing for first-timers (who came out interested in sailing and wililng to spend an afternoon supporting a worthy charity); nor, in my opinion, did he represent either the Leukemia Society or his yacht club very well.

I have to admit, I've known other racing types with similar attitudes.  I'm not saying racing has to be like that, but if there is ONE like that in the crowd, I probably would not enjoy it.  I'd be thinking the whole time about the smoking hole my 25 mm flare would make in his forehead.

But that's just me.   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

Racing should be FUN...those serious types should all be on J boats way ahead and leave the 'fun' stuff to us slow pokes. I haven't raced for years...but when I did,I found it to be the best way to get to know your boat !! Like 'Faith" said...being behind lets you see what you are doing right or wrong as you quickly see how your little trim adjustments are working. Learning to properly trim your sails will help while cruising by balancing your helm and making faster passages....And...and...as the ole saying goes "put 2 boats on the same lake and you have a race"...most of us..competitive or not, want to see how our boat compares to a ?? given the chance......so why not know how to make it perform to near its fullest and keep the other skipper guessing. Race for fun and learn to trim properly and it will always come in handy....and provide lil rewarding moments later.  Doug organized the last Chesapeake Bay cruise I was on and posted a overview on the Mongomery site. In his report he had this to say about fat little cat boats.   "This was the first chance to see how the SunCat 16
fared against the Montgomeries.  What a good show!!
That gaff rigged cat boat pulled away from the M15s on
the downwind runs and pressed the M17s all the way to
the bridge.That darn gaff rigged SunCat out pointed the M15s and
pressed the M17s hard even up wind.  What a great
little cruising boat".    ......always fun to do better than your boat should.  PS.. like 'Faith' said..overtrimming is the most common mistake..."when in doubt-let out" the old saying goes  PSS..I'm more a 'beer drinking with the hook down' kinda cruiser too
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

xroyal

Quote from: s/v Faith on June 27, 2006, 02:03:35 PM
John,

I am from the Bay Area, and have watched the boats on the Bay for years, but other then one time as a boy I have never sailed the Bay.  I would love to though, but admittedly have no interest in racing in the conditions you describe.  ;D

Sailing the Bay is grand....if you let it be!

Racing on it can be challenging. Down to the boat early to prep it (perhaps launch it if on a trailer), get to the starting line on time,  handling winds, current and tides especially on a cold damp windy foggy day, and putting the boat to bed with your fingers feeling half frozen.... 'tis fun for a dedicated precious few. Of course, it helps if if one has the latest sails, rigging and a fresh wax job on the finest bottom paint. Makes me tired just thinking about it.

On the other hand, dropping the hook for lunch off Angel Island reminds me of paradise.  :)

Some Sunday take a picnic lunch over to the grass on the tip of Tiburon overlooking the Gate, SF, Angel Island and countless varieties of boats. We did it often, and it was magical to me.
John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

Adam

I'll admit, I sometimes like to just see how fast she'll go... but generally, I like to steer with my toes, steel drums on the cd player, figuring out exactly how far I can recline and still see where I'm going...

then again, sometimes ya just gotta see if you can bury the rails...

AdriftAtSea

Cmdr Pete seems to have forgotten the most important of the reasons...

To impress the women in your life... :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Pixie Dust

QuoteSo if you raced in one of our races, your Compac 27 (right?) would get a 225 PHRF
Yes, she is a Compac 27.   
Tomorrow I am playing in a golf tournament here in WV.  When they ask me my handicap, I think I will give them the same one as my Compac  ;D ;D ;D
I know it needs to be the highest one they can assign.  I should be material rich in humor for the rest of our foursome...my excuse is: the water has kept me off the green course...wonder if the cart will have a gps on it?
Gadget Girl   ;) :D ;D
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2