News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Another fiberglass question

Started by okawbow, February 17, 2009, 06:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okawbow

One of the pre-launch projects on my Bristol 24, is a rebuilt teak and cedar sliding hatch. I would like to add a little strength and water resistance to the top boards of the hatch, and was thinking of putting a skin coat of fiberglass on. What is the best material to use, and still be able to see the wood underneath?
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

CharlieJ

Yep- the Gougeon's have built MANY boats covered with fiberglass and clear coated. They make a special clear epoxy for that too.

For this purpose I'd use about a 4 or 6 oz cloth, put it on with WEST epoxy and then put on about 5 or 6 coats of Z-Spar 2015 (or Bristol Finish) We've had good luck with both and our Texas sun is fierce.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

okawbow

Well, the hatch is covered on both sides with 6 oz cloth. Not a real easy job, but the results are good. I first brush on a good coat of epoxy on the bare wood. Then immediately set a pre cut sheet of glass on the board and rolled it flat. I then brushed on another coat of epoxy to fully wet out the cloth. The result was almost clear. I learned to mix up only enough epoxy to quickly do one thing at a time. About 4 1/2 oz of mix was ok. I mixed 9 oz once, and it started smoking and gelled before I was able to use it all.

With a layer of glass on both sides of the hatch boards, it should be very strong and water resistant.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.