BUGS! Dealing with mosquitos, no-see-um's and other flying pests.

Started by Greenman, February 21, 2009, 06:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

While reading Tristan Jones, please bear in mind that while the man was a wonderful story teller, he was also a consumate liar.

Much, if not most of his stories were manufactured out of "whole cloth"

Doesn't diminish the great stories- I have a bookshelf full of his books, but don't take them TOO seriously.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

I am surprised we have not discussed this more.  There are many wonderful things about being aboard in the summer time.  Bugz aint one of them.

We have used 'baby carrage nets' aboard Faith for some time... they are stretchable nets with elastic bands that fit around the companionway quite nicely.  They are tough to find, but Campmor has them right now for $5 (other places are sold out).  I guess they could be used on the foredeck hatch, but we have purpose built screens for that.

On the trip aboard Fairwinds, I was introduced to a large 'cot net' that could be draped over the cockpit (either over the dodger/bimini, or suspended from the boom) and transform the cockpit into a 'bug free zone'.

I am in California right now, and went to look for the net at my local REI.... I was surprised to find they cost $30.  I just checked their website and was surprised to find them for about half that;

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Ya know, we have had so little trouble with Mosquitos it's amazing. Since we got out of Louisiana I think we had the screens inonly two or three nights. Mostly for no-seeums not mosquitos.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised. Delighted of course, but surprised.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

MOSQUITOS!!!! I am in Alaska, two of em hit you at the same time up here you fall over :o

Actually so far we haven't had much of a problem, but we are prepared. Mary made up a canopy of no-see-um netting to hang from the awning of the RV, allowing us to go out the side door into a screened porch of sots. I can tell you though there are different qualities and sizes of mesh. Here is a site that tells a little about them.

http://www.mosquitocurtains.com/home/mosquito-netting.html
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

wallo9

Well as they say it's all chemical, everyones body chem is differant it seems so one thing works on one and something else works for another. Sugar is quite an attracting culpert,due to health I've had to cut out the sugar much better than when I ingested lbs. of sugar.They say Thymine is also a good preventer. But I'm still stuck on lighting my citronella candle for about fifteen min. before I bed down and they usually look for a less fragrant place.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Tim on July 13, 2010, 09:43:24 PM

a screened porch of sots

::) ::)   :o :o   ;D ;D

(Here, have another grog to help with that...)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

QuoteQuote from: Tim on July 13, 2010, 09:43:24 PM

a screened porch of sots

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   Shocked Shocked   Grin Grin

(Here, have another grog to help with that...)

LOL now I have to leave it like that, besides it makes it sound more useful to that bunch around you down there  ;) 

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

w00dy

My girlfriend Rachel and I were sailing our new boat around Matagorda bay for a few days this week and for the first time we realized how much we had taken the screens on the ports and hatches of our old boat for granted. Luckily, I remembered seeing a large mosquito net buried in in the bilge somewhere and as the high-pitched whine of mosquito wings grew increasingly louder, I was properly motivated to tear the entire boat apart until I found it, at which point we scrambled to cover all our cowls, vents, ports, hatches, etc before we ran out of blood completely.

The next night, anchored in the lee of Matagorda Island, we were prepared when the sun went down, put the net up quickly and efficiently and suffered very few bites. Still, we also wondered if it had something to do with us being farther away from shore, which begs the question:

How far away from shore do you have to get before the mosquitos can't find you anymore? Obviously, having wings, the little buggers don't need a land bridge to hunt you down. Still, it would seem pretty pointless for swarms of them to roam around, miles offshore or even very far from land. 1/4 mile? 1/2? 10 klicks enough?
Whatever the distance, I'd be happy to shove out just a little bit farther, if you know what I mean.... :P

tomwatt

But they do swarm... of course it may be a locale thing, but since the eastern third of Arkansas is mostly rice fields, as evening approaches, you can see the gray cloud coming at you - people sort of develop an inner clock for when it's time to cut outdoor activity short and head indoors. I understand and sympathize with the size of Alaskan mosquitoes, but in Arkansas they're called "ricebirds".
As a much younger man, I found smoking cigars tended to keep them away. Don't smoke now, but might be tempted to light up a cher-root just to keep them off me.
And folks in Maine/New Hampshire unabashedly wear bug suits:

I've seen people working out in their yards wearing these things, and during black fly season, I more or less live in my headnet.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

jotruk

My neighbor (an older lady) has been out side with dryer sheets hanging off her. I asked her what they were for and she told me that they keep the mosquito's and other bitting bugs away, I tryed them last night when I was out with the telescope and they seem to work fairly well. also cheeper then most bug spray.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

tomwatt

Quote from: jotruk on July 23, 2010, 09:09:04 AM
My neighbor (an older lady) has been out side with dryer sheets hanging off her. I asked her what they were for and she told me that they keep the mosquito's and other bitting bugs away, I tryed them last night when I was out with the telescope and they seem to work fairly well. also cheeper then most bug spray.
I go out with dryer sheets hanging on me all the time, but it's by accident... blasted static cling!
:-\
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
Kinda up for sale.

CharlieJ

James- usually a couple hundred yards works for distance. If the breeze is solid and off the land you can get a bit closer.

A few points specific to the Pt L area.

Sand Point and Keller bay- little problem unless there is zero wind. Usually.

Airport flats and Decros Point- ditto

Army hole and the mouth of Powderhorn( off Indianola Fishing Center)- have screens ready

We have screens that replace the drop boards-
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

An addition to the above-

The last three nights we've been anchored in a creek that is less than 100 yds wide, and the wind has gone to zero during the early hours. While we have had little trouble with mosquitos, the no-see-ums have been annoying.

I suspect the saving grace on the Mosquitos has been the tide. In this area tide runs7-8 feet so little water has a chance to stand long enough for the eggs to hatch.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

tomwatt

Hey, I know you guys down there bobbing about aren't dummies, and have been taking steps to avoid exposure, but I did want to make sure you got the alert on this:
http://www.wesh.com/health/24343521/detail.html
QuoteDengue Fever is showing up in Central Florida.
Of the half dozen diseases floating around out there that are avoidable, I'd tend to put this one pretty high. And it's mosquito-borne. So do be safe, please.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
Kinda up for sale.

SV Wind Dancer

Yup, when I heard the news on the latest outbreak I saw it as my 'final notice' to move my BOO out of FL