Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Scooter finances

Started by CapnK, March 03, 2009, 09:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxiSwede

Quote from: s/v Faith on March 05, 2009, 08:39:30 PM
In my own personal stimulus package I just gave everyone on this thread a grog...  ;)

Now that's a fine initiative.  ;D  Here's one for you!
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Tim

Things getting a little sloppy over here ;)  ;D but I figure I better grog Dave just in case I can fly out take that other berth  :D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Godot

Thanks, Dave.  I mentioned that possibility to my wife and she became a lot more relaxed.

Now I would prefer to do it solo in my little itty bitty boat, but I have to give consideration to Allison's feelings.  <shrug>

The good news is that I should be able to  afford to crew for you even if the worse happens on the home front.  I've been very anxious to try my hand offshore.

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Auspicious

I enjoyed our sail together Adam, and would be pleased to have you aboard again. If things look to be headed in that direction we can go off for a weekend with your wife along. Perhaps that would serve to further reassure her.

Incidentally, daily e-mails as we go with updates, commentary, and position.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Godot

Allison has expressed a willingness to do a weekend sometime.  Of course, she will probably become spoiled on your much larger boat, and I may never get her back out on my little rowing boat.  Ah, well.  Them's the chances we take.

Thanks, by the way.  I enjoyed that sail as well and hope to return the favor.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

hearsejr

I'm on a set income and seem to find away to make things happen.  I don't owe anything.
I single and 42yrs, the boats paid for, so the only thing I have to worry about is entry and cruising permits.
I would like to keep on top of things and maybe revisiting the issue every 6 months or so might help keep everyone on the same page.

Bill

Auspicious

Quote from: Godot on March 07, 2009, 09:19:25 PM
Allison has expressed a willingness to do a weekend sometime.  Of course, she will probably become spoiled on your much larger boat, and I may never get her back out on my little rowing boat.  Ah, well.  Them's the chances we take.

Thanks, by the way.  I enjoyed that sail as well and hope to return the favor.

Good. We'll plan a weekend when it warms up a bit more.

I'll be very happy to sail with you on your boat as well.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

nowell

Its been about a month (well since the original idea was posed).

Anyway, im still a "GO" for the Scoot. Finances are hanging in there, as is my job with the bank. Now if I can just resist buying anything else  ;D
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Godot

Monthly follow up: Things are looking UP!

I've managed to keep my head above water the past few months.
I now have a tenant in my rental property.
With a little luck I'll be able to refinance said rental property and take care of all revolving debt.  In fact, I might (fingers crossed) get enough to retire all debt, not counting mortgages.

Prepping and staging the boat looks to be my second biggest problem.
Dealing with Dearest's dismay and dreary dreams of danger and disaster is definitely the dominant detail that will determine if my deep water dream is destined for a delightful denouement or disappointment.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Frank

Good for you. Funny how things have a way of turning around. Glad its coming together for you. Have fun
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

nowell

Quote from: Godot on April 14, 2009, 01:19:39 PM

Dealing with Dearest's dismay and dreary dreams of danger and disaster is definitely the dominant detail that will determine if my deep water dream is destined for a delightful denouement or disappointment.

That sir, has to be the best use of the letter "D" I have seen! Grog and "Bravo!"
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

nowell

Monthly update time Scooters!

Im still "good to go" for the scoot. Cruising/upgrade money took a bit of a hit because I decided to invest in that house (should close begining of next month), but i've been working hard at getting ready. If anything its caused me to invest more in myself with the work, than paying.

Hope everyone else is still doing ok! Really looking forward to this!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Godot

I'm still in my financial hole; but I've stopped digging and started climbing out.  Financing the rental property has run into some snags (darn tight qualification rules ... working through it though); but should be done sometime this summer.  At the moment there is no disposable cash available to make the necessary updates to the boat.  I am several months behind schedule.

So, the plan is to NOT launch until late summer.  It kills me to say that; but summer sailing is usually somewhat disappointing anyhow.  Autumn sailing is much more satisfactory as the wind picks up, it is not nearly as oppressively hot, and the crowds thin out dramatically.  This will give me a good three months to, hopefully, get everything together.  If not, well, I still have a backup plan...
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

CapnK

Like y'all, finances are way behind, but I have found some corners to cut that make it not out of the question as yet.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Greenman

I just bought my first old boat, so I am digging pretty fast. Fortunately it is all part of the plan, and I haven't over spent my planned budget.

As a military member with 5 years to retirement, I do not feel any effect of the economy, as a matter of fact, a bit of a dip actually helps me as I have a fixed income, so when the economy is bad, my $$ seems to go further.

Now if only the Canadian $$ would go back up to par or better with the US $$ I could bump up the top end price of my future permanent boat.
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Auspicious

Bad news - I'm going back to work in a regular office job

Good news - I'm doing it because I couldn't turn down the offer

Bad news - I have to start keeping track of time off and things like that

Good news - I held out specifically for enough leave to do the Scoot

More good news - I'll take orders for beer etc to have at the finish line when you get there

Bad news - I'd like you to chip in for it. *grin*

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

maxiSwede

Well, Auspicious - Congrats, I guess?!   ;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Shipscarver

Has anyone figured out a Proforma Budget for this trip?
I am not familiar with the cost involved and could use some enlightenment.  More Light, Brother.  ;D
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Auspicious

Auspicious is ready to go, so I don't have upgrades facing me.

Rigging
Sails
Systems

I don't need to rent anything for the trip, so haven't given that much thought:

EPIRB
Life-raft

For consumables I'm planning to carry about everything with me I need expecting I'll buy some things in the Bahamas to enjoy the local culture. My budget boogy goes like this:

About 1100 miles down and 900 miles back (going well offshore southbound to avoid the Gulf Stream). 2000 miles at 140 miles (ish) per day (bigger boat) + 25% = 18 days underway at 15 USD per day = 450 USD. 15 USD / day is a reasonable average for me based on recent deliveries.

7 - 10 days in the islands at 30 USD / day = 300 USD. 30 USD / day is an estimate based on doubling the passage amount.

Note: I cook ahead from scratch for passages and cook while underway. If you use prepared foods you will spend more.

Entry fee 300 USD (NOTE: 150 USD for boats < 35')
Bahamas reciprocal operating permit for ham license 25 USD
Phone/wifi allowance 50 USD

One night in a marina 150 USD
Water 100 USD
Gifts and miscellaneous 100 USD

I should be down and back for around 1500 USD without having to pass on any opportunities.

I'm assuming I won't have to buy fuel (gas or diesel) before heading back, and I'm not accounting for the cost of filling my fuel tanks (gas for dinghy, diesel for boat) before leaving. I'm not anticipating having to refill propane (and if I do run out, I would have had to refill anyway).

I'm also assuming that I anchor out (no moorings or marinas) except for one night somewhere in there.

I'm assuming I won't be tempted into paying too much for WiFi access.

Incidentally, I do have both Winlink and Sailmail aboard, so I can send "safe arrival" e-mail for anyone that would like as we catch up with one another.

This isn't a very rigorous budget, but it captures my thinking so far.

For a SailFar boat sailing from Beaufort, NC to Green Turtle outside southbound and in the Gulf Stream northbound for about 1200 miles making 90 miles / day and eating like I do, and with a reserve like mine:

1200 / 90 * 15 *1.25 = 250 USD (by the way, you have to eat even if you stay home).

300 USD eating in the Bahamas (which allows for some bar time and eating out - run out of money? come home sooner!

Entry fee 150 USD
Water 100 USD
Fuel (30 gal 5 USD@) 150 USD
Moorings (3 x 25 USD) 75 USD
Local cell 50 USD
Gifts & miscellaneous 100 USD

Looks like under 1200 USD to me, with some of that balancing expenses you won't incur at home while you're gone.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club