Connecting two lengths of anchor chain -without loosing the strength

Started by maxiSwede, April 03, 2009, 02:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxiSwede

Not sure what it is called in English, but there is a 'chain connecting link' sort of that you can use to 'tie' to pieces of chain together. This is what I intend to do...

But: My 9 mm chain has a max. break load (or whatever that's called) of 2500 kg, and a 10 mm 'Chain link' a mere 1 ton. Thus it would definitely become the WEAK link of the whole setup.... not exactly what I want, so my question to you guys are what other solutions are available out there.

One idea would be to weld the link together to strengthen the joint. The link I am considering is like 'riveted' in four spots. One is simply supposed to make the joint buy hitting the 'rivet' part with a hammer.

Hmmm, there must be a better Way huh?   ??? ::) ???
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

CharlieJ

I've used those  rive links before and they do just fine. The problem is not the link- but that you (nor I ) can find a link rated as highly as the chain.

I use G4 chain (2700 pound breaking rating) but all the links I find are only G2 in strength (1200 pounds)- so I'm still left with un-joined chain.

And I still don't know how I'm gonna join two pieces together.

Over on CSBB Evan Starzinger mentions using the links, but then lashing with a spectra lashing. For those who don't know, Evan is Beth Leonard's partner ( Voyagers Handbook author) and a 2 time circumnavigator.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

Charlie -

aha, maybe it was on their website I read about it.

My first thought was to simply use whipping twine to tie the link together, not to increase the strength of course, because at that point I hadn't yet realized that the link is so much weaker than the chain, but to at least still keep it together IF something would happen to the link without me noticing it.

What do you think of welding?  Just a point weld (right expression?) on each rivet and one on the joint itself. Obviously this would undo the galvanizing, but sure make it strong and safe and some paint or even grease would take care of the corrosion issue for at least a few years.   ::)
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

KenR

Check out the Figure-Eight Connectors. Supermax (Grade 100) is very strong and a super corrosion resistant finish is available. I have a couple but as yet have never used one so am unable to give an opinion on suitabliity in a marine environment.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#chain-and-wire-rope-connectors/=1bt871
What could possibly go wrong???
s/v Blown Away
1984 Sovereign 28
Southwest Florida

maxiSwede

@ Ken R

Thanks for the link, that looks just great!

I will investigate if there is someone over here selling it. to me it's new, for sure. I guess the downside of oredering it from the US would be freight cost similar to the purchasing price...

I'll be back...
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com