Main Menu

Misc

Started by Zen, January 17, 2006, 09:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

* deep breath & sigh exhale, inhale *

Ahhh, ok I feel better. I just dropped in to L & A  :o  :-\

Wow some of those folks have issues...
However I did pick up a couple of good tips...

CD's do not last in a salty environement a couple of yrs avg . Make copies of your orginals, then store them in a vacuum sealed bag ,or zip lock.
Keep the copies in some type of protective cover so they do not get marked up. Ok, so maybe some know that, but not all.

Those vaccum seal storage bags, one see on TV are a good thing... is the major vote. Makes things small for easy storage, keeps them dry. ( a good thing on a boat)

Socks & under stuff can be put in to a ziplock bag, rolled to press out the air, then used as needed.

There was something else I thought was good, but can not remember now and I need to recharge a day or so before I go back under  :D

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

It's not bad as long as you do NOT, under ANY circumstances, go into the 'Bilge'.   ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

hearsejr

hay that was me  asking about the vacum bags :D
I find that you can get some great advice there from time to time, but if the post ever gets turned into a politics post, just as well delete it.
Bill

CharlieJ

We use our kitchen food saver as a vacumn bagger for many things. Laura sealed up a full spare set of sheets and two pillowcases in one bag- made a package like a rock and about half the original size. When once the compartment they were stowed in got flooded ( water tank hose leak) those sheets stayed dry as a bone.

They are also useful for spare spark plugs, fillers, seldom used special tools (keeps them from rusting) etc. Some other things- sweaters during the summer time, warm weather clothes during the winter. You get the idea  :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

hearsejr

I was looking at those vacum bags that were reusable but you'll need a vacum cleaner to vacum the air out.
the vacum sealing bags that you need a machine to use sounds great but I was wondering were you could get replacement bags from? they are fairly easy to find here in the U.S., but what about in other countries? I was thinking about getting one for the plugs and other engine parts,  maybe even keep a few extra flairs in some, I'll tape a razor blade to the package so you could open it in a hurry also. I'm going to bag my dried good too I think. maybe keep my suger, flour, dry milk, powdered egg...ect, in 1lb baggies and that way I'll only open what I need incase I get the stores wet. I also plan on canning my own foods some too. say I find a great deal on lamb chunks for stews, I could cook it and can it and when I need some meats for a dish, I'll just open enough for the meal...and a small stash of left overs maybe. lol.
I want to vacum-pack a few coats and dress clothes.
I was also thinking of putting togother a survival package with first aid, batteries, food, fishing supplies, a couple of knives, hand held flairs, a mirror, a compass, some cash, a copy of my I.D.,  a space blanket, and  some sun screen.
I'll keep it in a easy to reach area.
thats my plans so far....still working on it.
Bill

CharlieJ

if you were going to head out I'd think you'd just have to carry a few rolls of bags with you. We don't buy the ready made bags. We use the wider rolls of material and just seal them up at whatever size we need.

The canning idea is a good one by the way. When I lived aboard we carried self canned foods along sometimes. Particularly fruits.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

hearsejr

thanks
I got the self canned food idea from the post about preasure cookers.  I was thinking fruit and meat would cool to have on hand when you need them...and I found a source of short canning jars. I could make a days worth of canned goods, that way I will only have to open what I need.
I can hardly wait till I get a preasure cooker to try bread making in. lol.
Bill

Pixie Dust

I too have a vacuum sealer and like Charlie, I use the rolls and cut them to the size I need.   It works great.  I also premix biscuit and pancake mixes and vacuum seal them to keep on the boat.  Then I only have to add the eggs and liquids.  Much cheaper than buying the mixes already and definitely tastes better.
I like the idea of extra sheets, boat parts etc, I have not used it for that.  That is a great idea. 
I have only used mine for food. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

hearsejr

roughly how long would a roll of the vacum sealed bags last? about how much they cost to buy a roll?
I found a machine for the vacum bags but I think it looks a little big for the boat. it's an older version..looks like it is from the 90's.
Bill

Pixie Dust

Quote from: hearsejr on January 19, 2006, 01:34:04 AM
roughly how long would a roll of the vacum sealed bags last? about how much they cost to buy a roll?
I
Bill, I just ran out and will be purchasing some this wk.  I will let you know.  I get mine at Wally World.   Lasting time-- depends on how much you use it and how big of packages you need.  They are a pretty good size rolls and lasts a pretty good length of time.
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

CharlieJ

Took a look last I was in Wally World. The rolls we use are the 11 inch wide ones. 18 foot roll for 9.27 currently.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

hearsejr

I just saw a vacum bager at walgreens here, and was like 14-17 in. long. not sure of the price yet but it was likely affordable. it was alot smaller then the one my mom bought and looked like it would neatly fit over the counter , with out any trouble. lol so I have been converted to a bagger. lol.
bill

Solace

I've never used a vacuum sealer, but have thought of perhaps storing my back up sails under the vee berth as vacuum packed baggage. Anybody done that before? or are they simply too large?

John

Coastal Cruiser

I don't have any fancy made to order vacumn bagger machines. For smaller items, and ziplock bags, I use a sink full of water or a five gallon bucket to vacumn pack items including food products , sinking the bagged items down and closing the plastic up when it gets to the top, for simple storing and saving space in lockers and freezer space at home. This allows even the canned items to be protected from rust, if the cans or lids are simple metals, too.

A pointed tip on a portable vacumn cleaner, will work on the larger parts, even though some of the plastic gets stuck but rarely will stop sucking air from even black heavy duty bags. Make sure you use the brand name bags, and not generic ones.

Zen

In my younger days we would get a vaccum seal on ::)  things  ;) in a zip lock by closing it almost then just sucking on the small opening and ...zip
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

Quote from: Zen on January 23, 2006, 11:47:35 AM
In my younger days we would get a vaccum seal on ::)  things  ;) in a zip lock by closing it almost then just sucking on the small opening and ...zip

I am pretty low tech myself.  Those vaccum sealers are really nice though......  ::)

hearsejr

I wonder how long the vacum sealer will work on a boat? you know how the salt atmosphere will act on stuff like that, if not I have an old tv that wasused on a boat from the mid 80's.  the corrosion on the innerds was beyond imagination, and it never got wet or was dunked, it just sit on a shelf about waist high in the main cabin of a shrimpboat.

s/v Faith

Drawn from the (revived) sailnet.com website;

QuoteTip of the day;

Engine Staring fluid (Ether)cleans the butyl rubber sealant from windowframes when removing them.

Will have to give that one a try....

On edit;  Looks like they have a bunch of new tips.  Here is a link to their 'tips' page.

Pixie Dust

This is an interesting excerpt from the latest Scuttlebutt, and a reminder
of the difficulties we could all face if the need for MOB drill is ever
activated.   Doesn't look good.   All the more reason to stay on the boat.

Maybe this is a good reason why "sailing naked"  is a good idea.   :D

(http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com <http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/> )

Scuttlebutt is a digest of major yacht racing news, commentary, opinions,
features and dock talk . . . with a North American focus.

GUEST EDITORIAL - Chris Upton

In preparation for the Bermuda Race, we spent a Sunday afternoon sailing
around a life jacket in 4 knots of breeze. It took 20+ attempts for a crew
of eight. I decided to see what it would be like to be in the Gulf Stream.
The closest thing in Newport is the YMCA pool. The test tried to take into
account as many realities of being in the water as possible. I tried to
replicate being tired and worn out from boat handling. Dressed in full
foulies, sea boots, a life jacket, a t-shirt and shorts, I jumped in the
pool.

The first surprise was the fleece neck liner was letting the trapped air out
of my foulie jacket. As the air blew out it was replaced by close to 60
pounds of water. It was nearly impossible to swim more than a few strokes.
The life jacket did its job in keeping me afloat. Removing the life jacket
made swimming slightly easier, but not enough to save your life. Sea boots
full of water weigh too much to be able to kick your legs for swimming and
treading water. Removing them helped with swimming. It did not allow for
more distance covered. Treading water without the boots would be difficult
in a seaway. The drag from the foulies is too great. Removing the jacket and
pants was the only way to be able to swim for any distance. Just getting the
gear out of the pool was a challenge.

After spending 5 minutes in the water trying to swim, etc., getting out of
the pool required three tries. The pool has a freeboard of one foot.

The cotton t-shirt weighed over twenty pounds upon getting out. Pulling
yourself up 5 feet of freeboard without assistance is not going to happen.
The foul weather gear will add enough weight that crew along the rail will
be unlikely to get you up and out without putting themselves at risk.
Conclusions:

- Wear your life jacket before you think you need it.

- The boat has to come to the swimmer. You do not have any mobility in the
water. You will be tired from simply floating.

- Have a plan for getting a halyard onto the MOB. Putting a second person
in the water to help an unconscious or injured crewman only risks a second
crew and further limits the ability to recover anyone. The weight of the
water in your clothes is too much to lift alone.

- Wear boots that are large enough to be kicked off easily in the water.

- Chlorine will ruin your foulies. Don't try this with your good set.

Graham

"Directors' Special"

C34MkII (Oz Built) #615

Rhyll, Australia
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2