Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Tehani FINALLY got some new lifelines

Started by CharlieJ, April 10, 2009, 07:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

This is a copy of a post I just made over on TSBB-

I've been concerned about the safety and integrity of the old ones for some time now. Finally squeezed out some time to get the new ones installed

I used bare 3/16 1 x 19 wire instead of the plastic covered stuff. Used to be we'd disconnect the pelican hooks aft, and lower the wires just in front of the cockpit, between that stanchion and the winch stand.That was a real tripping hazard at worst and hard to get to at best.

So I ran wire from the bow pulpit, where it's lashed through a thimble, back to the stanchion just forward of the cockpit, ending in another thimble. Then wires from aft, up to pelican hooks which clipped on to thimbles there. Now we can open a gate and totally move the wires out of the way. I'd like a brace on that stanchion, but if we are careful I don't think there'll be much trouble.

A side view of the new lines-

And the pelican hooks making up the gate

and the new connection aft, where the old pelican hooks used to be.

and this shot shows the lashings to the pulpit. That line is to be replaced this weekend. I use lashings on the one end so if needed to get something aboard in a HURRY, I can just cut the line.

Starboard side is of course identical- but there's water over there - hard to photograph from that side
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

nowell

Such a big fan of your work Charlie (and Laura!). Love it!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176