Book on sailing and glossary of sailboat and sailing terms

Started by Luv2Row, April 25, 2009, 12:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luv2Row

Excellent resources, Dan! :D  More grog for you, I'd say! I'll see if the book is available at the library since the San Jose Public Library also shares its holdings with the university library at San Jose State University (my alma mater) as well as the collections from 43 other participating library systems in California and Nevada.

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on April 24, 2009, 07:25:25 PM
I'd highly recommend you pickup a copy of David Seidman's book The Complete Sailor.  It is a great book for novice sailors and about $16 at the local bookstore.  It's very well written with good drawings. :D

As for an online glossary, try here

AdriftAtSea

Glad to help.  The book is generally required reading for new crew on my boat.  :) I also give one or two of them away every year.

Quote from: Luv2Row on April 25, 2009, 12:17:02 AM
Excellent resources, Dan! :D  More grog for you, I'd say! I'll see if the book is available at the library since the San Jose Public Library also shares its holdings with the university library at San Jose State University (my alma mater) as well as the collections from 43 other participating library systems in California and Nevada.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Amgine

Heh! I give away copies of it too. I see they had another printing of it recently.

The best thing about this book is the graphics. When I was teaching novice dinghy classes, the students would always figure out how to sail from the images because they really do have a great way to 'picture' the wind. Much better than the textbook I was supposed to be teaching from.

ntica

I recently bought a book "Steel's Atlantic and West-indan navigator" By J. Manderson.
A reprint...surley  a usefull book but...The printing is so small that even a hawk could't read it, I sure as heck can't. So think twice before ordering.
just wanna let you know.

ntica

Yetserday Jimmy Cornell's World cruising routes arrived :)