News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cruising & Firearms

Started by dnice, April 30, 2009, 02:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain cajun

dnice,  thanks for the posting.  I enjoyed it,and also talking to the wife about the posts.  Good and exciting exchange of opinions.

don
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

dnice

I mean its too sensitive in that, its impossible to talk about cruising with a gun without the conversation turning into  opinions about whether or not to own a gun in the first place and the moral issues and responsibilies associated with owning a gun.
Based on other forums....
But I can see this one is going that direction, and I also see that I've helped direct it that way and so I'm not blaming anyone.

I'm not even sure now what I was looking for when I posted the orginal question.
I just wanted to know how difficult it is to travel with a gun, and particularly how people are successfully dealing with those difficulties (because I know they are).

I personally would like to keep a gun on my boat, but if the legal issues and customs difficulties are too much, then Its not worth it. From what I'm reading, its looking Like its not worth it.

mrb

I have family experience with gun on board.  My cousin was taking a new boat from Alabama to Oregon to convert to tuna boat.  He had did this a few times before and was experienced with canal zone, Mexico and all that.  Any way entered Mexico under emergency. He had a 22 on board.  When he hit port he went directly to port captain and filled out proper papers, declared 22 and had no problems.  Menwhile another official boarded his boat.  His deck hand couldn't communicate with official so official impounded boat( he was looking for pay off) and arrested my cousin when he returned.  Shorten story ,After year in prison Canadian consulate secured his release.  U.S. did not try. When court date came up he went back down, judge looked at charges and dropped them and ordered release of boat.  By this time all electronics engine and winches with everything else that could be stripped off was stripped off boat.  Boat had been in secured Mexican government controle.
By the way there were over a hundred other AMERICAN FISHERMEN BEING HELD BY Mexico and U.S. does nothing for them.  You pay for your food and any other comfort you need, medicine included. He earned money painting and selling them to visitors to the prison.  Yep, I can't wait to visit south of the boarder.

This is off topic but wounder why people will pay good money to visit foreign geto when we have plenty in New York city and other citys in U.S.

captain cajun

This is off topic but wounder why people will pay good money to visit foreign geto when we have plenty in New York city and other citys in U.S.
[/quote]

LOL!
cajun
com-pac 16
colorado

Frank

Geeze....I thought anchoring was a tuff topic  :o To all this gun talk, I just want to add...."I like eggs" ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

Quote from: Frank on April 30, 2009, 11:41:01 PM
Geeze....I thought anchoring was a tuff topic  :o To all this gun talk, I just want to add...."I like eggs" ;D

Yes, and I like cheese.

Cheese and eggs go together nicely. 

Cheese, eggs, and bagels.  Bagels are good boat food, bread that will pretty much last forever in a sealed container.  It if it gets a little stale, I just toast them over an open burner on a fork.

Cook up the eggs, add cheese, and toast the bagels.  A little bit of mustard, and you have a pretty good breakfast right there.   ;D

Thanks for bringing that up Frank.   ;)

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Bluenose on April 30, 2009, 09:43:38 PM

Here is a pictorial description of the odds of dying in the US.

The problem is that we are talking about traveling to OTHER countries...not within the US.  Some stats, like heart disease, may well carry over since that is going to be based on where/how you live, but other acutely environmental causes (dying in a car bomb, for example) will be VERY different depending upon where you are.

My comment does not relate to whether or not someone should carry guns on board, of course.   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on April 30, 2009, 11:51:35 PM
My comment does not relate to whether or not someone should carry guns on board, of course.   ;)

Yes, but you completely ignored the central issue....  :-[

Do you, or do you not....  :-\

... like eggs and cheese?  ;D

Frank

Speaking of heart desease Capt. S,....Craigs use of mustard with his eggs is a great idea.Not only does it store well without refridgeration...but it has zero calories and zero fat content.I have always used katsup..yep, good ole hienz..on my egg sandwich,but it is loaded with sugar and extremely high in calories. Thanks Craig...grog to ya. Now I'll worry less about my heart out there. ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

Quote from: Frank on April 30, 2009, 11:59:17 PM
Speaking of heart desease Capt. S,....Craigs use of mustard with his eggs is a great idea.Not only does it store well without refridgeration...but it has zero calories and zero fat content.I have always used katsup..yep, good ole hienz..on my egg sandwich,but it is loaded with sugar and extremely high in calories. Thanks Craig...grog to ya. Now I'll worry less about my heart out there. ;)

Frank,

Condiments don't kill people...... 

People kill people!  :P

;D

Bluenose

Quote from: s/v Faith on May 01, 2009, 12:46:02 AM
Quote from: Frank on April 30, 2009, 11:59:17 PM

Frank,

;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on May 01, 2009, 12:46:02 AM

Frank,

;D

;D ;D ;D

Grog for that one...needed a morning laugh!

As for the egg and cheese issue, and I know this one is very sensitive, I'll just add that my wife and daughter almost won't touch eggs without cheese on them.  Me?  Not so much - occasionally; so, it's not as you'd say a MORAL thing with me, just a personal preference.  Becky and I have agreed to disagree on this explosive breakfast topic.  She gets to put cheese on HER eggs, while I remain free to eat mine without.

I used to put ketchup on my eggs, but not any more.  Never tried mustard on the eggs, but I will..sounds yummy - though I know how controversial this will be.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

keelbolts

Condoms may not kill people, but they do prevent them.

Condiments?

Oh, never mind...

CharlieJ

Cheese on eggs? That's fine, but for REALLY good eggs ( or mashed potatoes, or other foods) ya GOTTA have a sprinkle of Tony Chachere's. Meats and other veggies too ;)

Don't leave port without it.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v necessity

One perspective.  Perhaps others can comment on weather this is a valid worry.  If you declare your arms, then people know you have them  (usually a mistake)  Doesn't this have the potential to make you more of a target?   Then couple this with having more problems clearing out, more people being aware that someone with a gun is clearing out.  And having less choice about when you actually leave.  It sort of prevents you from just slipping away in the middle of the night....

I would think that giving up a low profile and some freedom of movement, would more than offset any security gained from the gun.  All this is assuming you declare your arms. 

On thing I always keep tucked in the back of my brain, is that these discussions are probably biased in one way.  Those who carry guns, and don't declare them, probably don't participate in these discussions.

Tim

Quote from: s/v necessity on May 01, 2009, 09:09:01 AM

On thing I always keep tucked in the back of my brain, is that these discussions are probably biased in one way.  Those who carry guns, and don't declare them, probably don't participate in these discussions.

Some just come for the food  ;)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

"It sort of prevents you from just slipping away in the middle of the night...."

Actually if in a foreign country, you are pretty much prevented from doing that by the need to clear out of the country. Not doing so, not having exit stamps, could cause difficulties in the NEXT country you visit.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

If there is one thing I have learned having traveled in foreign countries whether by land or sea, they make the rules, you can either play by them or have a very difficult time.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Auspicious

There are firearms aboard Auspicious. I have training in their use from three USG agencies and practice regularly. Having them aboard has already been a pain in the *ahem* within the US. Don't get me started on the State of Maryland. I will leave them behind if I leave the US -- just too much of a pain.

The ninja sword idea is entertaining, but you may find a good machete to be of much greater use, particularly in the Eastern Caribbean and Bahamas.

Oh: I'm just here for the food.

Eggs are for omelets, easy on the cheese, and a good hot sauce.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

CharlieJ

Let's not forget the old standby, short range defensive weapon, legal EVERYWHERE. In fact, you don't even have to worry about declaring it and a short shot in the face will render any close range intruder totally helpless, but relatively unharmed..

A simple can of Wasp Spray.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera