News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Garram masala

Started by Amgine, May 03, 2009, 10:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amgine

Okay, I admit it, I'm an Indian food addict. I love to eat it more than I like to make it, but... sometimes to get what you want you gotta figure out how it's made. Curry is one of my greatest addictions. I have scrounged recipes for all the kinds I love, from Indian to Thai to that odd Japanese curry I found living in Kita-Kamakura.

Every Indian household has it's own version of garam masala, like bouquet garni in Provence, or chili powder in New Mexico. The garam masala is the spice base for dozens of recipes, each adding a little this or that extra spice to the mix and how it is used to make dishes which taste nothing like each other and yet - like using salt - all involve a basic item. Here is a recipe to make it either at home or on the boat if you have an oven and some way to grind it. It's easy to make up ahead of time, and bring with on passages; it can even be portioned out into small ziploc baggies for planned meals:

Preheat oven to 200° F/93° C.

In a shallow, oven-proof pan spread in a single layer:

5 three-inch pieces of stick cinnamon
1 cup whole cardamom pods, preferably green
1/2 cup whole cloves
1/2 cup whole cumin seed
1/4 cup whole coriander seed
1/2 cup whole black peppercorn

Roast on the bottom rack for about 30 minutes, occasionally stirring. Do not let the spices brown or burn.

Remove from the oven. Break open cardamom pods between your fingers or on a cutting board, discarding the pod and setting the seeds aside. Place cinnamon sticks betweem two layers of kitchen towl and pound with a rolling pin or kitchen mallet until finely crushed. Recombine the cardamom seeds, crushed cinnamon, and other roasted spices in a bowl, stirring until well mixed.

Grind the spices, a cup or so at a time, in a spice mill, coffee grinder, or blender. Grind/blend at high speed for 2-3 minutes, until they are completely pulverized and become a smooth powder. DO NOT TAKE A DEEP SNIFF. 'nuff said about that. Transfer to a jar or bottle with a sealing lid.

The spice blend will keep at room temp in an airtight container for 5-6 months easily, slowly losing its potency.